Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

First appearance of a PCGS container "slab" on a network television program

WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 25, 2024 6:28AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I believe that this pair of PCGS containers ("slabs") was the first appearance of these items on a network television program.

PCGS containers holding St. Gaudens $20 1924 and Morgan silver dollar 1881-S
The grades appear to be MS-63 and MS-65

The containers appeared on an episode titled "The Thief" of the NBC television program "Matlock" which was shown on March 28, 1989.

"Matlock" was a one hour television program which ran on the NBC television network from 1986 to 1995. Andy Griffith played Ben Matlock, a criminal-defense lawyer based in Atlanta, Georgia.

The episode was about an honest coin dealer accused of killing his assistant whom he caught stealing rare coins.

The containers shown in the episode are PCGS green containers which the company used from 1986 to 1989 to encapsulate graded United States coins.

If you have seen a similar container on another network television program please let me know.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies
Coins on Television

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s cool @WillieBoyd2!

How do you find these clips? I know about your website... awesomely awesome. IMO.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

Their "containers" sure have changed over the years.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't see that episode but I remember the show well.

Thanks for sharing the archive.

That's pretty cool! B)

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options

PCGS was also featured in the1994 Ted Danson and Macaulay Culkin film Getting Even with Dad :)

Heather Boyd
    PCGS Senior Director of Marketing

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HeatherBoyd said:
    PCGS was also featured in the1994 Ted Danson and Macaulay Culkin film Getting Even with Dad :)

I remember that movie.

• Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭

Funny how the Saint in the rattler was rotated and rattling, even back in 1989.

• Options

@HeatherBoyd said:

Trailer:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ50WvKo35c

Wonder if the writers of the movie are collectors, Tom Parker and Jim Jennewein. Source IMDb.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since I have not been to a theater in 27 years, and watch very little TV, I do not see these little gems ....I believe there was a forum member that was compiling a list of movies and TV shows that had coins in them... do not recall who that was....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Thief: Part 1
    A coin dealer discovers that a man working for him has been stealing. He then demands that he returns everything that he took or pay back what he took. When he is found dead, the dealer is charged for murder. He hires Ben to defend him. And also the private investigator whom the dealer hired to get evidence against the man is giving Ben and Tyler unsolicited assistance, and is also a little impetuous, making things tough for Ben to get evidence that can clear his client.

Director: Harvey S. Laidman (as Harvey Laidman)
    Writers: Dean Hargrove (created by), Gerald Sanoff | 1 more credit »
    Stars: Andy Griffith, Nancy Stafford, Julie Sommars

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

@ricko said:
    Since I have not been to a theater in 27 years, and watch very little TV, I do not see these little gems ....I believe there was a forum member that was compiling a list of movies and TV shows that had coins in them... do not recall who that was....Cheers, RickO

It is @WillieBoyd2.

https://brianrxm.com/comdir/cnsmovie.htm

• Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭

I recently discovered the HBO series Deadwood and thought it would be an interesting project to study the money changing hands in 1870s territory. Lots of curious currency, but coins too.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file