Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coin Shop Robbery in Silver Spring, Maryland

MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just received a text from my wife that the Coin Shop in Silver Spring, MD was robbed. Does anybody have any information?

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com

Comments

• MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2019 9:44AM
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I would say that guy should easily be busted with the quality of the film! YEAH!

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

That wasn't Julian's place, was it?

• coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭

He appears to be breaking the glass with his bare fist!

• tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭✭

I wonder what was in the cases, most shops lock up the valuable items when they close.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    Well I would say that guy should easily be busted with the quality of the film! YEAH!

The WJZ news with the burglary video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OJmCKZxMDrA

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kind of looks like it was Julian's place.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    Kind of looks like it was Julian's place.

Don't think so. The base of the window is lower.

• superpsychmdsuperpsychmd Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

Bonanza coins is Julian

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure looks that way. Note the two frames on the wall. First image from google maps

Collector, occasional seller

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

There were two stores in Silver Spring, idk if both are still open or if that was Julian's that was hit. I believe the really good stuff was always locked up, but even his junk could be something.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:
    Sure looks that way. Note the two frames on the wall. First image from google maps

Another news source.

Yes, it’s Julian, longer video, too.

https://bethesdamagazine.com/bethesda-beat/police-fire/police-release-surveillance-video-of-coin-store-burglary/

Montgomery County police released surveillance video Tuesday of a man stealing what they estimate to be $6,500 in property from a downtown Silver Spring rare-coin store on Aug. 30.
    According to police, the man broke into Bonanza Coins at 940 Wayne Ave at around 3:34 a.m. The glass on the front door was smashed. Someone broke a display case, taking $6,500 worth of coins.

The three-minute video shows a man wearing dark clothes kicking open what appears to be a screen on the bottom part of the door and climbing into the store with a bag. Multiple cameras angles show him breaking a display case, removing items and running out the broken door with the property.

A witness saw the man leave the scene in an “older model sedan,” according to a press release.

Anyone with information is asked to call the 3rd District Investigative Section at 240-773-6870 or Crime Solvers at 1-866-411-TIPS. Crime Solvers will pay a cash reward of up to $10,000 if it leads to an arrest.
    Dan Schere can be reached at Daniel.schere@bethesdamagazine.com

——-

Juliancoin.com

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... That is a brazen burglary.... no attempt to conceal his face...obviously unaware of the camera...Hopefully he will be caught soon. Cheers, RickO

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Realone said:

@Swampboy said:

@Realone said:
    Why does it seems like the only people that get to take home JL's coins are criminals and not true collectors. I have only once been able to walk away with one of his coins, was never successful every other time.

In the case of a long time forum member's business being in distress I find this comment to be cruel.

Not true. I hate criminals, and robberies. But if the coins were sold then there would be nothing to take. FACT!

Lame

• cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Realone said:

@Swampboy said:

@Realone said:
    Why does it seems like the only people that get to take home JL's coins are criminals and not true collectors. I have only once been able to walk away with one of his coins, was never successful every other time.

In the case of a long time forum member's business being in distress I find this comment to be cruel.

Not true. I hate criminals, and robberies. But if the coins were sold then there would be nothing to take. FACT!

Your logic is a bit off base. When a dealer sells his inventory, they use some of that money to buy new stock to continue his business. Uh, if your premise was followed by all merchants, you would have to time your purchases precisely when going to the grocery store before they were sold out!

Your biggest horrid statement was all he cares about is the insurance money. For your information I don't know of any insurance that will cover unattended coins in a car.

@Realone said:
    How about instead of accolades of sympathy for the dealer, we start calling them out to protect their stuff. Like what more can they do, considering this isn't his first robbery. Come on, lets call out dealers who don't do enough but rely on insurance to bail them out. Some profitable years can be had if you submit claims at a higher price than what you are selling them at. Assuming you are selling anything.

• claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭

Some of the above comments aside, I sure am glad that there was not a confrontation with the criminal being inside and Julian or a store employee walking into it. This guy looked like he could be very dangerous!

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye

That store is on a busy street!

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

hang the bums high I say.

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    One would think that being that close to Baltimore there would be little crime.

It's really not that close to Baltimore. Last time I was in the area (granted last time I lived in the Silver Spring/Bethesda area is now a decade ago) was not sketchy at all.

Sucks for Julian and I hope it was nothing more than a confused burglar nabbing some cheap stuff (and insurance covering the damage). I mean, no tools but feet and bare hands??!?! Does not appear to be well thought out and I can easily seem him making off with some lower cost stuff.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 19, 2019 4:46AM

Sorry Julian.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Wow... That is a brazen burglary.... no attempt to conceal his face...obviously unaware of the camera...Hopefully he will be caught soon. Cheers, RickO

and high as a kite or unaware how bad one can be cut using yourself to break glass

@Realone,

You have a lot to say in this thread. Care yo reveal your identity so I can better judge your comments?

• mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

Thank heavens Julian was not there when this lowlife broke in. As one who has been victimized by robberies and identity theft more than once, I favor long long long prison sentences for these types.

Why don't you upgrade your cameras? They have come a long way and are reasonable!

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Sorry Julian.

Some guy came in my shop a few days ago and stole a gold coin as I was turned to show him an album.
    Caught on cam ( after the fact). My fault. I should not have let him in ( ...or never turned my back).

The quality sucks, but you get the picture. And anyone can see how quick things "go".

And for those who have little compassion for us who are victimized, I take umbrage.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good cameras won't stop bad actors.

Of course but it does make them easier to catch!

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Good cameras won't stop bad actors.

This discussion has been closed.