Home U.S. Coin Forum

Have a question about grading of coins at pcgs.

I submitted a couple coins to pcgs. They were in a third party slab and were submitted as crossover candidates. I indicated on submission that I would be willing to accept any grade. I knew they were over graded and wanted a true grade. They both came back as a dnc. Does this mean the coins would not be eligible for any grade. If so then I would have to assume the coins were either cleaned or have a serious issue with coins. Pcgs offers nothing but dnc which leaves me in the dark. I figured since they did get paid for grading, if the coins had a problem they should tell me what it is. Would like some imput. Thanks

Comments

• Larrob37Larrob37 Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

I haven't received coins back. I guess I don't understand their business model. Should not have to call customer service to get explanation of something I paid to already get. I will call when I get coins back.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2019 5:39PM

@Larrob37 said:
    I haven't received coins back. I guess I don't understand their business model. Should not have to call customer service to get explanation of something I paid to already get. I will call when I get coins back.

The reason that I wrote “If you’ve actually received the coins back...” was because it’s possible that when you do, you will also have your explanation.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

Yes sir mfield I appreciate that point. I have read so much info on this subject and nobody gets explanation with their coins from what I read.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crossovers can be a bit confusing for the first couple/several times when doing submissions.

DNC generally means it did not meet whatever you selected on the submission form or there was something else that should be documented when you receive the coins.

Or call if you want a quicker answer.

Please let us know the results if you wish too.

2 cents of opinion

—————

For Crossovers: For a coin previously graded (currently encapsulated) by another grading service, PCGS will holder the coin only if it meets or exceeds your specific request. Please specify one of the following options (If you leave this area blank, PCGS will assume the minimum grade is the grade currently on the holder).

"CURRENT" – Requests coins to cross at grade listed on holder.
    "ANY" – Requests coins to cross at any numerical grade (01-70).
    "DETAILS" – Request coin to cross at any numerical grade or Genuine No-Grade.
    "LOWER GRADE" If you would like to specify a lower grade than listed on the holder, write your acceptable numerical grade (include suffix if applicable).

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Believe that DNC coins will come back with a PCGS label attached to the exterior of the slab, (usually in a flip). The label will usually say why: Cleaned, altered surfaces, whatever.

Don't ask me how I know. :kissing_smiling_eyes:

Easily distracted Type Collector

Thanks for info. I wrote on submission that I would accept any grade but did not specify a lower grade I would be willing to take. Maybe I should have put a grade down. I think next time I will break out of slab and send in raw.

• toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure if PCGS accepts just any tpg slabs. If the tpg you submitted was possibly not accepted by PCGS, it could account for a DNC. Just thinking out loud.

• ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

DNC means "Did Not Cross". When you receive your coins back in-hand, your slabs will have a flip over them with a PCGS label saying "Did Not Cross" and below that will be your reason for why the coins did not cross.

In my personal experience. If I submit a crossover and it DNC, but I want the coin in a PCGS holder, I just crack it out and submit it to PCGS raw that way it at least gets in a holder.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

HOW IT WORKS
    SUBMIT
    Your NGC, ANACS or ICG coins for PCGS Crossover
    Specify one of these options below in the minimum grade column on the submission form

CURRENT
    Requests that coin cross at grade listed on holder
    ANY
    Requests that coin cross at any numerical grade (01-70)
    DETAILS
    Requests Genuine
    with Details
    LOWER
    Specify lower acceptable grade than listed on the holder

DOES THE COIN CROSS TO YOUR SPECIFICATION?

YES
    Coin is removed from current holder and crossed over to PCGS holder; you are charged the standard grading fee + 1% Guarantee Premium.

NO
    Coin is returned to you in its original holder, you are charged the standard grading fee and the Guarantee Premium does not apply.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you selected cross at any grade, then the DNC means the coin is not gradeable (i.e., cleaned, or worse). You'll get a label with the reason when the coins are returned.

Well that makes me feel better that I will least have a reason. I really looked over those coins with a fine tooth comb not to mention a magnifying glass. I guess lesson will be learned when I see coins. thanks for info.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully, someone before you did not use a fine tooth comb on the coins. :'(

I guess this is not the site to use fine tooth comb. Could bring on a nightmare in your sleep.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please come back and let us know 'the rest of the story' when you get your coins. Cheers, RickO

This discussion has been closed.