1795 dollars- 2 leaves vs 3 leaves

tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

Much more dramatic differences than just the number of leaves

Comments

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

A justification to retain both being made? 😉

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, many people do not notice that the 3 Leaf variety has much larger leaves.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

Looks like everything is larger to some degree.

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2019 9:00AM

@CaptHenway said:

Stems are bigger, ribbon is wider too. The differences are not subtle

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2019 8:52AM

I always wondered why they were not considered as one-year types and treated as the 1913 5c and 1917 25c for example. I think I know why this was not done in the past but perhaps it is time for a change.

@Catbert said:
    A justification to retain both being made? 😉

Yup. Never realized it was such a dramatic difference- had never really looked.

• PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

From a design perspective, I like the 2 leaves. Do you have a design preference?

@Insider2 said:
    I always wondered why they were not considered as one-year types and treated as the 1913 5c and 1917 25c for example. I think I know why this was not done in the past but perhaps it is time for a change.

Maybe we can call it the “High Re-Leaf” variety! >:)

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    edited September 15, 2019 9:59AM

I guess no obv pics, too bad.

Not pertinent to the thread. They are, however, shown on the True Views in the other thread.

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    Never realized it was such a dramatic difference- had never really looked

Numismatists be noticing all sorts of interesting things about coins when they really look at them. 😉

Cool coins, nice contrast of the sub-types.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

@Baley said: "Numismatists be noticing all sorts of interesting things about coins when they really look at them."

AMEN! 😉

• cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

In addition to those differences in reverse wreaths, there are different versions of the eagles. The two coins above both show the same eagle, while this one is different:

This one shows a "beefier" eagle, with just 5 tail feathers. (The coins in the OP both have slimmer bodies, and 6 tail feathers.)

@Realone said:

@tradedollarnut said:
    I guess no obv pics, too bad.

Not pertinent to the thread. They are, however, shown on the True Views in the other thread.

The obv's are different too, that was my point, but I guess nobody cares about that fact.

I see your point now but don’t have the obverse pics handy. The differences must be more subtle as I briefly looked for them a while back and didn’t notice any glaring differences.

Here are the TrueViews of the two coins:

The heads are different, but not as much as the reverses. I notice the width of the pointed bust first, and then the “spaghetti hair.”

The feathers are different from wing to body. Much bolder on the 3 leaf.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hair and bust contour are certainly different, as well as the chin. Cheers, RickO

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭✭✭

2 leaves reverse definitely looks...sparse...in comparison....but I prefer it aesthetically.

The number of berries is also different and placement of them is different.

Really the only thing they have in common is LIBERTY......15 stars and a Eagle and motto.

@ricko said:
    Hair and bust contour are certainly different, as well as the chin. Cheers, RickO

As well as Liberty’s nose!

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of for Pete's sake. I'm in the process of putting the flowing hair coins together for type (F12-15 tho). After seeing the significant difference between the varieties, I believe I'm now obliged to collect both.

edited September 15, 2019 2:44PM

...And so is Mr. Hansen and anyone with Registry Sets. The price of these coins should get a bump in the lower grades too. I hope PCGS starts a 1795 Type 1 and Type 2. That's all it will take to move the Redbook.

Devil's Advocate. This is the same situation for the 1864 2c. They use Large and Small Motto for the two different designs and the dollars have been distinguished by the leaves. Oh well, all's well in the world after all.

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    Devil's Advocate. This is the same situation for the 1864 2c. They use Large and Small Motto for the two different designs and the dollars have been distinguished by the leaves. Oh well, all's well in the world after all.

Arghhhh!

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

Spring vs. Summer?
    But no Winter version...

@CaptHenway said:
    The heads are different, but not as much as the reverses. I notice the width of the pointed bust first, and then the “spaghetti hair.”

Yes, the differences in the obverse side of the Flowing Hair dollars are more subtle. If one were inclined to have two flowing hair dollars for their type set, the obverse sides have a very distinct difference between the "Head of 1794" and the "Head of 1795."

This one is the "Head of 1794," as shown in the OP.

This one is the "Head of 1795":

Notice the extra loop at the base of the bust - that is the characteristic that defines it as the "Head of 1795," and missing that, the type would be the "Head of 1794."

There are varieties of both the "Head of 1794" and the "Head of 1795" among the 1795 Flowing Hair Dollars that have been combined with 3 leaf reverses, and varieties of with 2 leaf reverses. So, in the OP the top coin is a "Head of 1794" with a 3-leaf reverse, and the second one is the "Head of 1794" with a 2-leaf reverse.

The "Head of 1795" just above, displays the "Head of 1795" obverse, matched with the 3-leaf reverse.

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,180 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the hair detail on the 3-Leaf wasn’t so dramatically more chiseled than on the 2-Leaf, Laura would never have said that it “looks like a friggin’ medal”. She would have just called it PL.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

@Insider2 said:
    ...And so is Mr. Hansen and anyone with Registry Sets. The price of these coins should get a bump in the lower grades too. I hope PCGS starts a 1795 Type 1 and Type 2. That's all it will take to move the Redbook.

The two leaf and 3 leaf varieties are already in the “major varieties “ set.

Andy Lustig

1794 vs. 1795 half cents

@CaptHenway said:
    1794 vs. 1795 half cents

1795 vs 1795 Cents!

Andy Lustig

edited September 15, 2019 4:00PM

@CaptHenway said:
    The heads are different, but not as much as the reverses.

In 3D, I think you might say the exact opposite.

Andy Lustig

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file