Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My wife asked me if I stopped collecting...

DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 14, 2019 5:03PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Since about June my buying of TPG Cards has reached an all-time low (for me)
July - 1 card
August - 1 card
September - nothing so far

I've let a couple of 10% Promo eBay Bucks go "wasted" (i.e. did not buy any cards with the promo -- I usually buy multiple cards during those promos)

My wife actually asked me today if I stopped collecting -- she said I usually get a few packages per week and she noticed I haven't received any packages in a while...

I basically have NO FAITH in any TPG card at the moment. And I'm stuck wondering how many "conserved" cards are already in my collection :(

Comments

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry you've let it ruin your joy of collecting

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

I can understand where you’re coming from, but I’m trying not to let it get me down. I don’t think I could ever stop working on my player collections/company sets that interest me as it is an escape from reality. I just try to be very careful who I buy from.

May I suggest possibly “shifting gears” for awhile and maybe collect something else within the hobby? Unopened, nice raw binder sets, modern heritage master sets, etc? Maybe your spirit will return with a nice change...

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DotStore said:
    Since about June my buying of TPG Cards has reached an all-time low (for me)
    July - 1 card
    August - 1 card
    September - nothing so far

I've let a couple of 10% Promo eBay Bucks go "wasted" (i.e. did not buy any cards with the promo -- I usually buy multiple cards during those promos)

My wife actually asked me today if I stopped collecting -- she said I usually get a few packages per week and she noticed I haven't received any packages in a while...

I basically have NO FAITH in any TPG card at the moment. And I'm stuck wondering how many "conserved" cards are already in my collection :(

Buy raw and submit yourself; it is more fun, you’ll force yourself to become a more informed consumer and you’ll save considerably. Then, when you submit, your just looking for confirmation...

... that is how I’ve gotten about 75% of my stuff; not a perfect system but I’m happier knowing I subbed it myself...

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've significantly cut back on my eBay purchases ever since the PA tax went into effect in July. I've actually let a couple 10% bucks coupons sail past because it's like I'm only getting 4% back after the 6% tax. But that hasn't stopped me from picking up some great stuff. There's always another way.

Andy

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've bought two graded cards off ebay since the scandal broke. I bought a few modern unopened. The CA sales tax kicks in Oct and it is close to 10%. That will most likely end my pursuit of high dollars cards or boxes on ebay.

I think ebay knows that the sales tax issue is slowing down some sales and that is why we have seen a flood of ebay bucks offer.

Mike
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just don't worry about it anymore. I just try to be careful. Life is too short. Don't let it ruin the hobby for you. It sounds like your wife supports your passion for the hobby, which is great. Unfortunately my wife does not share my enthusiasm for the hobby. She stresses me out about it all the time. The stress has taken its toll on me.

This picture was taken of me recently and you can clearly see what the stress has done to me.....

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2019 8:53PM

@doubledragon said:
    This picture was taken of me recently and you can clearly see what the stress has done to me.....

At least she gave you a nice wicker dog house. It could be worse, although not much room for Joe Lewis cards in there.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

You didn't say what you collect, but buying low(er) cost raw cards could give you a bit more peace of mind.

Buying raw does not guarantee you will get a card that is unaltered.

Sorry you are unhappy about TPG cards, but I still feel that a very high percentage are fine. Of course being poor, I have never purchased anything very expensive like what I have seen lately.

If you collect "new" players, perhaps buying packs or an occasional box would be a good idea, after all, that's how it got started. Not by people always wanting only a "perfect" rookie card. Maybe try putting together base sets, most of the cards won't be tampered with. Maybe even (GASP), collect cards in the old EX-MT category! ;-)

Now that you realize what's been happening in the hobby (since day one BTW), you can decide if collecting cards is fun or not. The "hobby/business" has become too much about money and not enough about having fun.

One of my friends has gotten out of the "GEM MINT" rookie card snake pit and sends cards out to (mostly retired) players who sign through the mail for free, or a small donation/fee. He really enjoys getting those cards back!

I hope you can figure out a way to get your enjoyment out of a great hobby that unfortunately has quite a few "bad apples".

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

An interesting side note on the scandal: I recently had a PSA graded Reggie Jackson 1971 Topps Greatest Moments for sale on eBay and a prospective buyer asked if I knew if the card had been trimmed or altered. That question had never come up to me before if I was selling a graded card.

Daniel
  • Options

@BaltimoreYankee said:
    An interesting side note on the scandal: I recently had a PSA graded Reggie Jackson 1971 Topps Greatest Moments for sale on eBay and a prospective buyer asked if I knew if the card had been trimmed or altered. That question had never come up to me before if I was selling a graded card.

Interesting side note on your side note. Those Greatest Moment cards are usually (not sure about yours) 6's and 7's (at best) because of the black borders and being oversize. They are pretty easy to spot if trimmed or altered so the prospective buyer was not very knowledgeable.

I was going to say a moron, but felt I should moderate my comment.

The card was in a holder, so I would assume your opinion is/was the same as the TPG's.

My question to you is; Was the prospective buyer an idiot before the scandal or did he become one after. I'm voting before.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

"My question to you is; Was the prospective buyer an idiot before the scandal or did he become one after. I'm voting before."

I'm thinking the question would not have come up before the scandal and they were just being overly cautious. After I answered them, they still did not buy the card. I personally am looking at graded cards much more skeptically, especially higher end ones and ones that float around in a holder. The card in question is a PSA 5.

Daniel
  • Options
    tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

I do mostly unopened, and not high-priced unopened usually. That has resulted in lots and lots of fun, with a decent potential return if you are worried about investment value. I collect what makes me happy, and I don't worry too much about what someone else thinks about it.
    kevin

• Options

@BaltimoreYankee said:
    "My question to you is; Was the prospective buyer an idiot before the scandal or did he become one after. I'm voting before."

I'm thinking the question would not have come up before the scandal and they were just being overly cautious. After I answered them, they still did not buy the card. I personally am looking at graded cards much more skeptically, especially higher end ones and ones that float around in a holder. The card in question is a PSA 5.

I know I was harsh with my comment. I am in the process of selling a 20 year old conversion van in pretty amazing condition and can't believe the people who are asking about it, so when I saw that you were asked about a card I assumed was not in high grade, I kind of lost my mind for a minute.

I agree with you on the "floaters".

@tulsaboy said:

I collect what makes me happy, and I don't worry too much about what someone else thinks about it.

kevin

THIS!

• Options

I say take a break from the vintage and dabble with some new stuff. Open your own product for a bit.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is what I am doing in the hobby in lieu of buying graded cards -

1. Buying a couple of boxes of 2019 FB to rip and prospect.
    2. Working on completing 2016-2018 Optic Football base, refractor, and insert sets.
    3. Downsizing my unopened collection.
    4. Looking for recent modern Topps Chrome BB and football boxes to put away for later.
    5. Preparing a modern FB submission to PSA. At least I know these cards are good since I pulled them.

I really haven't looked at my graded collection since the scandal broke. I keep seeing those threads on BO and the well known dealers named......it makes me sick. Every time I see a graded card I want for my collection and I can't pull the trigger since I don't want to get caught holding the bag if the Feds make everyone involved squeal like they did Mastro.

Mike
  • Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

I’m the same. I maybe buy a couple low dollar cards a month if that. On the other side I’ve been trying to sell all my cards that I don’t want in my permanent collection before I’m forced on managed payments and the next rounds of state tax collections kick in. No more buying raw cards hoping to make money by prospecting or grading.

I’ll probably buy a limited amount of 70s and 80s packs to open every now and then and hope I get nice cards, but maybe not nice enough to have to grade and sell. Never thought I’d say that! I’m not much for set building when all the sets I want I can just buy and have them sit in the box.