Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

TPG Handling

This morning, I was confronted by an irate casual coin collector. He asserted that two coins he had sent in for grading, to a prominent TPG, either were mishandled or perhaps even switched. He alleged that one coin came back scratched and otherwise looked different. A second coin did not look like the one he submitted.
Personally, I find this hard to believe, but do things like this actually happen?
He ended his tirade, stating he now was left with [expletive deleted].
My response was that I only collect [expletive deleted] so this was not an issue for me.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

but do things like this actually happen?

Unfortunately poop happens. I've sent 3 coins back to our host over the years. One for damage and two for foreign material on the that was not there prior to slabbing. Was made whole each time.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

Most of the time these people that make these claims are just crazy in the mind. Ive seen it on various forums and almost always the posters are loonies

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO, always dangerous to dismiss with derision and without facts.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mkman123 said:
    Most of the time these people that make these claims are just crazy in the mind. Ive seen it on various forums and almost always the posters are loonies

Agree