Home U.S. Coin Forum

1999 D dime error?

Danny1978 ✭

Hello, I found this 1999 D dime. I don't have a lot of experience with this but there seems to be a lot going on with it. If someone could look at the pic and tell me your thoughts? I see characters in the back ground and designs throughout the existing image. I appreciate anyone's opinion.

Best Answers

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not an eror. Just a dirty, probably damaged coin. I assume those lines are scratches?

Post Mint Damage (PMD) as we refer to it.

Seeing "characters in the background and designs" is known as pareidolia - the tendency to see vague stimuli as something familiar. In other words, a random curved line gets interpreted as a "C".

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Danny1978 Welcome to the CU forums.

Many experts abound take their responses and learn.

Have fun in the hobby.

Answers

• I see a clear D behind the "R", like th R is stamped on top of it .an "S stamped on the bottom of the neck. An "S" on the top as well as some designs in the face as if the image was stamped over another. Is that. Does anyone else see this?

• Ok. Thank you all. Appreciate your help.

• Gotta say I am a little disappointed. Thought I had something there, but like I said, i have no experience. Thank you everyone for your opinion. I did learn quite a bit from all of you. I will have to keep up the hunt. Thanks again everyone!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Danny1978 ..... Keep looking there are good coins out there, but get some reference material... also the Cherry Pickers Guide...it will help with errors and varieties. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file