Home Metal Detecting
Options

Don't know how I missed this news

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't know how I missed this news - because I love these coins.

The silver coin, bearing the date 1652, was unearthed by the metal detector enthusiast on Sunday

Father-of-two John Stoner, 42, dug up the extremely rare New England coin in a field outside the village of King's Clipstone in Nottinghamshire.
When it was minted 350 years ago, there wouldn’t have been much change from a slap-up meal and a few of pints of ale.

Today the silver threepenny coin that amateur treasure-hunter John Stoner dug up in a farmer’s field would probably buy the entire farm.

The extremely rare New England coin, bearing the date 1652, is expected to sell for up to £1million when it is auctioned.

It has been hailed as one of the finest examples of a currency produced in the days of the Pilgrim Fathers in a land that would become the United States.

How the 17th century threepenny bit ended up in the village of King’s Clipstone, Nottinghamshire, is not known but last night coin collectors from around the world clamoured to buy it.

Mr Stoner, who temporarily mislaid the coin at one point, found it while on an outing with the Coil To The Soil metal detector club on Sunday.

The 42-year-old father of two had only just started to sweep an area of the ploughed field when he picked up two signals from the detector.

The first was from a random piece of metal; the second was from an uneven, hand-hammered coin, about the size of a modern 1p but thinner, buried five inches deep in a clod of earth.

‘I dug up the soil and out it popped,’ he said of the historic find. ‘At first I didn’t think it was anything special. I knew it wasn’t English, but just how important a find it was, I didn’t have a clue.’

The club immediately posted a picture of the coin on its Facebook page and invited followers to identify it. Within five minutes, they were inundated with replies. One enthusiast wrote: ‘Your mate has just won the lottery!’ That evening Mr Stoner took it to his Worksop home, put it in a jar and showed it to friends. In the morning, he couldn’t find it. ‘I must have knocked the jar over,’ he said. ‘It rolled on the floor somewhere but I just left it there when I went out. I had to look around for it when I came back.’

On Monday, coin expert Peter Spencer confirmed it was a genuine threepenny piece from the first authorised colonial coinage, commissioned and struck in Boston, Massachusetts.

‘I handed it over to him and I think it’s fair to say he went white as a ghost,’ Mr Stoner said. ‘He said its condition was like the day it was struck.’

From https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2745782/Minted-Dug-Midlands-field-1m-perfect-US-threepenny-bit-time-Pilgrim-Fathers.html

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options
    lonn47lonn47 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

nice find buddy.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... the stuff dreams are made of.... Great find....I don't know if I would stop MD'ing after such a find or if it would just inspire me more... no way it could ever be duplicated....Yeah.. I would just retire and watch the video over and over again... :D Cheers, RickO