Home Precious Metals
Options

Platinum question for @Jinx86

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always wondered about the old (and new) jewelry made of platinum.
With its melting point so high, does that make platinum jewelry fabrication really difficult?

I guess there's "tricks" but I still wonder.
?????

Comments

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its gotta be tougher to make Pt and Pd jewelry than gold or silver. When I melt them I need to either use Oxy/Acetylene or a specialized induction furnace with a tiny crucible. Jewelers I know that can work with Pt have special Oxy/Acetylene rigs or if they go really high end, lasers.

• Options

Yes, I would imagine. I see those filigree plat rings with itty bitty 3 pt. diamonds and marvel at them.
    I'd....GUESS.... that the shank is punched (or drilled) and prongs are made when they do that. Then I could see the jeweler just bending the teensy prongs around the stones.

??

• Options

Most of the really intricate pieces are 3D printed in wax. The wax melted out of the mold in an oven. The Platinum is melted and dispensed from the crucible while spinning, forcing the metal to fill fully. I've not gotten to run out yet, nor have I seen one in ND.

I do have a very large platinum ring that I want to have repaired. Would love to do it myself, but afraid to damage the 3 carat stone in it.

• Options

@Jinx86 said:
    Most of the really intricate pieces are 3D printed in wax. The wax melted out of the mold in an oven. The Platinum is melted and dispensed from the crucible while spinning, forcing the metal to fill fully. I've not gotten to run out yet, nor have I seen one in ND.

I do have a very large platinum ring that I want to have repaired. Would love to do it myself, but afraid to damage the 3 carat stone in it.

Even on the early pierced filigree ones?
    I retailed those. Too purdy to melt.

• Options

Early stuff was hand cut wax and hand poured metal. I never get nice PT items in. If I did I'd end up hoarding them.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Casting PT must be an interesting and complex process... I did not know about the 'spinning' part of the process....would like to see a video of that...Cheers, RickO

• Options

short video, doesn't really explain much of what they are doing or why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTdF1ocMTMk

• Options

@Jinx86 said:
    Early stuff was hand cut wax and hand poured metal. I never get nice PT items in. If I did I'd end up hoarding them.

Kinda wish I had. I had a customer who cleaned me out monthly. :'(

Well, not to cry about it. :D