Does anyone think Antonio Brown will work out well for the Patriots?

DarinDarin Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭✭

First off, the Raiders over the years probably run the loosest ship in the NFL.
And he gets kicked off that team!!
Now he goes to the Patriots? Who run about the tightest ship.

Sorry, this one isn't going to work out either.

See you guys when he joins his next team.

Collecting: Patrick Mahomes rookie cards, the next great NFL quarterback.

Comments

  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I hope he gets to play against the Steelers! B)


    All Dimes All Varieties

    Coins for sale

    Canadian Dimes Set


    Washington Quarters All Varieties 32-64


    >RIP -image Rebecca 2004-2018...If love could have saved you - you would have lived forever<
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 27,181 ✭✭✭✭✭



    Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 279 ✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2019 9:07PM

    @DIMEMAN said:

    I hope he gets to play against the Steelers! B)

    Antonio Brown is not eligible to play against the Steelers due to NFL roster rules, he must sit out week 1.

    Will AB work out well for the Patriots? Well they have Edelman, Dorsett, Josh Gordon, and AB, as WRs, a strong running game with Sony Michel, James White, Harris, and Develin. Oh yeah, and they have Brady throwing to em'. In the AFC, only KC might have claim to being better on offense.

    Plus if Brown doesn't work out, the Pats won't hesitate to release him. And they won't have to lose a 3rd and a 5th in the process. This move has a lot of similarities to when Randy Moss left Oakland. While AB is not as physically gifted as Randy Moss, he does posses a better work ethic in practice. And AB is tougher to cover in those intermediate routes that move the sticks.

    It will be interesting to see how AB does in that environment. Other players have come out saying that it is no fun playing for the Patriots. And anyone that arrives to training camp in a hot air balloon probably views fun as a top priority.

    Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

  • PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

    Time will tell, can’t say that I am ecstatic to see him on the team. Has lots of talent and lots of headaches/drama attached. The Patriots won’t put up with those antics as long as other teams do.

  • stevekstevek Posts: 22,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

    We all knew that some team out there was going to sign Brown, but wow, this one is a shocker him going to the Patriots.

    Head coaches in the NFL have traditionally been lax on wide receivers who were irritating pain in the necks, due to the nature of the position, as long as they performed on Sunday.

    Bill Belichick is a genius which we all know. But perhaps for whatever reason, old age or whatever, ol' Bill is finally losing his touch and slipping a little bit with his judgment.

    We shall see how it all works out.

  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @stevek said:
    We all knew that some team out there was going to sign Brown, but wow, this one is a shocker him going to the Patriots.

    Head coaches in the NFL have traditionally been lax on wide receivers who were irritating pain in the necks, due to the nature of the position, as long as they performed on Sunday.

    Bill Belichick is a genius which we all know. But perhaps for whatever reason, old age or whatever, ol' Bill is finally losing his touch and slipping a little bit with his judgment.

    We shall see how it all works out.

    how can this hurt the patriots ? If he doesn't work out he can be gone its a 1 year deal , he might play one year , shine up his image a bit and go elsewhere , he has incentive to keep a lid on it.

  • MLBdaysMLBdays Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2019 4:30PM

    No risk for NE ...its not a huge check and if AB farts in the wrong direction ... the surveillance in NE will nail him and he is GONE like a bad habit.... I only see upside for the PATS.

  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

    This is just Belichick fully committing to trying to maximize the rest of the Brady window.

    Should be interesting.

  • stevekstevek Posts: 22,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @bronco2078 said:

    @stevek said:
    We all knew that some team out there was going to sign Brown, but wow, this one is a shocker him going to the Patriots.

    Head coaches in the NFL have traditionally been lax on wide receivers who were irritating pain in the necks, due to the nature of the position, as long as they performed on Sunday.

    Bill Belichick is a genius which we all know. But perhaps for whatever reason, old age or whatever, ol' Bill is finally losing his touch and slipping a little bit with his judgment.

    We shall see how it all works out.

    how can this hurt the patriots ? If he doesn't work out he can be gone its a 1 year deal , he might play one year , shine up his image a bit and go elsewhere , he has incentive to keep a lid on it.

    One thing for sure, Belichick is smarter than any other head coach out there. So he must see something that he really likes about Brown to set aside all of his nonsense which could be detrimental.

    Belichick's genius mind in this case equated talent is greater than aggravation.

    We shall see if he's right.

  • grote15grote15 Posts: 27,181 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2019 4:50PM

    Belichick has signed troubled or seemingly problematic players before with good results: Moss, Blount, Gordon and now Brown. I can't see any downside to this deal for the Pats. If he plays as well as he has the past several years he will be a huge asset on offense. If he's shot, it's a 1 year deal and they move on.



    Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @PatsGuy5000 said:
    The Patriots won’t put up with those antics as long as other teams do.

    Unless he becomes the owner.

  • erikthredderikthredd Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Belichick was willing to send the Steelers a 3rd & 5th for Brown on top of NE's willingness to rework his contract had that trade happened. Now the cost is nothing more than a year's salary that became available after Brady reworked his contract for the team. There is no downside here from a Pats perspective seeing that they would never let Brown's situation become bigger than the team. BB knows it,Brady knows it and someone in this organization will make sure Antonio knows it.
    I'm not expecting a repeat of his 2018 statline of 104/1297/15 but a 75/1000/8 type of season is definitely realistic in this offense. And in all of those plays where the ball goes elsewhere he'll still have the opposing team's top CB having to account for Brown on every play. BB likes Brown's game enough that he was willing to send multiple picks for him something he rarely does.

    Eric

  • 2dueces2dueces Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

    No doubt AB will play for BB. The coaches will keep him far away from Kraft. Gordon is an entirely different situation. He’s not a head case. He had drug issues. Totally different. He was a humble and energetic teammate. Didn’t cause distractions when he was in uniform. All said I just have to wait and see. My hope is he’s a cancer that spreads throughout the whole organization and the Bills win the AFC East.



    << <i>In Rememberance of James W. Brennan Sr. 1924-1982.
    Dad, Thanks for everything you did for me. >>

  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @2dueces said:
    No doubt AB will play for BB. The coaches will keep him far away from Kraft. Gordon is an entirely different situation. He’s not a head case. He had drug issues. Totally different. He was a humble and energetic teammate. Didn’t cause distractions when he was in uniform. All said I just have to wait and see. My hope is he’s a cancer that spreads throughout the whole organization and the Bills win the AFC East.

    Speaking of the bills , I heard there was a poll and the bathrooms there were voted league worst

  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Maybe he was signed by NE so no other team could get him, and join a team that could possibly be more of a threat to NE.

    Successful transactions:Tookybandit
  • erikthredderikthredd Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

    This Brown signing and the speed that NE took to get it done reminds of that year when the Bucs released Darrelle Revis and within a few hours he was in NE signing a 2yr deal to play for the Pats. Bill wasted no time in both situations.

    Eric

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 19,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I am excited to be honest. I know for a fact Belichick will not all AB to ever disrupt the team like he did in Pittsburgh and Oakland. I don’t have any emotional attachment to these guys outside of the uniform as far as them being assholes or not. The bullshit he pulled in Oakland was ridiculous and I commend the Raiders for kicking him out, wins are what it’s all about and that’s the bottom line and if AB acts up then I will want the Pats to kick his ass out as well but until that happens I want him to succeed. I hope he works out, it should be exciting if it takes off and works the way it should!

  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I think I wrote in here like a month ago that AB took one look at the raiders and decided to bail

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 19,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2019 6:55PM

    @bronco2078 said:
    I think I wrote in here like a month ago that AB took one look at the raiders and decided to bail

    He probably saw how awful that team will be and didn’t want to be apart of it. He will need to get used to the “Patriot Way” and I’m not talking about the fake ethical nonsense they pretend to be all about, I’m talking about Brady spreading it around as much as he does. AB still won’t get his 100+ catches I don’t think, he could definitely get some decent yardage though, I’m thinking 75 Balls for 1200 yards 15 TD’s as the ceiling

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 19,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭

    The boys at the bar today were talking about exactly this happening, or with Tampa or NO. There is little to less than little of this being a bad thing for AB or of the Pats at this point.

    Dumbass set up to get to today, but whatever. If stupid numbers come up this year with this I will laugh a bit.

  • I have a feeling AB didn’t want any part of the Oakland/Las Vegas/Gruden train wreck. The signing seemed too happen way to fast, and I think with way too much guaranteed money considering the situation that had just occurred, almost like it was pre planned out. That AB self perpetuated a situation so toxic he had to be released (but not to where he’d be suspended by the league) and knew or strongly suspected that an outreach to New England would be accepted.

  • arteeartee Posts: 51 ✭✭

    Yep.

    X____________________________
    Sign Here

  • 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

    NFL just got one step closer to being the NBA.

    Brown just for forced his way off TWO teams with bad behavior so that he could go wherever he wanted and screwed two franchises in the process.

    Great get for New England; no risk, all reward.

    Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 19,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

    As happy as I am that the Pats have him now, I think if I was the Raiders I might have suspended him and voided that guaranteed money, if that was possible Ofcourse that way he didn’t get what he wanted for being a problem child.

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 19,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @1951WheatiesPremium said:
    NFL just got one step closer to being the NBA.

    Brown just for forced his way off TWO teams with bad behavior so that he could go wherever he wanted and screwed two franchises in the process.

    Great get for New England; no risk, all reward.

    no thats not what happened , this cost AB millions of dollars . He could have gotten to the patriots with more money directly

  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @perkdog said:
    As happy as I am that the Pats have him now, I think if I was the Raiders I might have suspended him and voided that guaranteed money, if that was possible Ofcourse that way he didn’t get what he wanted for being a problem child.

    I think the raiders could have not paid him and forced him to sit out a whole year at the same time.

  • 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @bronco2078 said:

    @1951WheatiesPremium said:
    NFL just got one step closer to being the NBA.

    Brown just for forced his way off TWO teams with bad behavior so that he could go wherever he wanted and screwed two franchises in the process.

    Great get for New England; no risk, all reward.

    no thats not what happened , this cost AB millions of dollars . He could have gotten to the patriots with more money directly

    You are incorrect.

    There is no chance the Steelers were ever trading him to the Patriots. Buffalo offered more than the Raiders but AB didn’t want to go to the Bills. Again, Steelers had full control and would never ever have sent him directly to the Pats.

    Time will tell if it cost him any money but in year one, it didn’t cost him much. Just got $15 million (9 million guaranteed) to play one year and is a free agent at years end.

    Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 19,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Less than a Zero chance the Steelers would have dealt him to NE

  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @AC000000 said:
    I have a feeling AB didn’t want any part of the Oakland/Las Vegas/Gruden train wreck. The signing seemed too happen way to fast, and I think with way too much guaranteed money considering the situation that had just occurred, almost like it was pre planned out. That AB self perpetuated a situation so toxic he had to be released (but not to where he’d be suspended by the league) and knew or strongly suspected that an outreach to New England would be accepted.

    I totally agree with this as I stated this earlier in the thread.


    All Dimes All Varieties

    Coins for sale

    Canadian Dimes Set


    Washington Quarters All Varieties 32-64


    >RIP -image Rebecca 2004-2018...If love could have saved you - you would have lived forever<
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @1951WheatiesPremium said:

    @bronco2078 said:

    @1951WheatiesPremium said:
    NFL just got one step closer to being the NBA.

    Brown just for forced his way off TWO teams with bad behavior so that he could go wherever he wanted and screwed two franchises in the process.

    Great get for New England; no risk, all reward.

    no thats not what happened , this cost AB millions of dollars . He could have gotten to the patriots with more money directly

    You are incorrect.

    There is no chance the Steelers were ever trading him to the Patriots. Buffalo offered more than the Raiders but AB didn’t want to go to the Bills. Again, Steelers had full control and would never ever have sent him directly to the Pats.

    Time will tell if it cost him any money but in year one, it didn’t cost him much. Just got $15 million (9 million guaranteed) to play one year and is a free agent at years end.

    what are you talking about? :D It cost him 30 million in a signing bonus from the raiders , by my math that is 21 million dollars short of what he will have a week from now.

    I'm saying this wasnt some master plan to go to new england , the raiders didn't even need to let him go , they could have put him on some did not report list and he would have been blocked from playing or signing anywhere.

  • 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @bronco2078 said:

    @1951WheatiesPremium said:

    @bronco2078 said:

    @1951WheatiesPremium said:
    NFL just got one step closer to being the NBA.

    Brown just for forced his way off TWO teams with bad behavior so that he could go wherever he wanted and screwed two franchises in the process.

    Great get for New England; no risk, all reward.

    no thats not what happened , this cost AB millions of dollars . He could have gotten to the patriots with more money directly

    You are incorrect.

    There is no chance the Steelers were ever trading him to the Patriots. Buffalo offered more than the Raiders but AB didn’t want to go to the Bills. Again, Steelers had full control and would never ever have sent him directly to the Pats.

    Time will tell if it cost him any money but in year one, it didn’t cost him much. Just got $15 million (9 million guaranteed) to play one year and is a free agent at years end.

    what are you talking about? :D It cost him 30 million in a signing bonus from the raiders , by my math that is 21 million dollars short of what he will have a week from now.

    I'm saying this wasnt some master plan to go to new england , the raiders didn't even need to let him go , they could have put him on some did not report list and he would have been blocked from playing or signing anywhere.

    Short sighted.

    He now has the ability to sign anywhere he wants for whatever he wants. We’ll see show it plays out but he’s never been on the open market in his career. Now, he will be.

    So judge it by what he gets this year ($15 million) AND the next two after. If it adds up to more than $50 million (I believe it will), then this worked out perfectly.

    Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Sure thats the master plan , turn everyone in the football world against him , burn 30 million and sign for 9 million then spend a year under the microscope :D

  • 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @bronco2078 said:
    Sure thats the master plan , turn everyone in the football world against him , burn 30 million and sign for 9 million then spend a year under the microscope :D

    I don’t think much was planned. It just worked out that way. Now others will follow since all signs point to it working out well in terms of a better place to play (New England) and the same money in the first year.

    I do think you should go back under your bridge now.

    Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

    aren't we sensitive :D

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 19,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

    D Thomas inactive 🙄

Sign In or Register to comment.