Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Extremely belated ANA post, an eclectic mix plus a shout out to BidAsk

I'm woefully behind on newps and even my ANA shots (my trip there was followed by a long trip subsequently). So what follows will trick in. But I had to get at least the first one up, even if late.

First, an absolutely fabulous Japanese silver 1 Bu that I purchased from @bidask for an extremely reasonable price. My photos can't completely crop out the slab, but it's in a PCGS MS-65 holder.

The vast majority of these are not 'gem' and ever so rarely can you find decent toning on them. Most are dipped out white if they are in any kind of nice condition. This one is a real treasure IMO. Apparently also in the opinion of the person with whom I had lunch (he can out himself if he wants). This is (as far as I know) pretty far from his collecting tastes.

He loved it and pressed me to name a price. Well, just about everything has a price, but I think I named something (one of his coins) that was about 15X the value of this one. For a second I was worried he might actually go for it and I'd be stuck!

Fortunately he remained somewhat sane. Not sure if he ever went over to BidAsk's table to see if he had another...but this one is on the short list of 'will be pried from my cold dead hands, or at least will take an absolutely ludicrous amount of money to get from me' pile. My asking price is now 20X :smiley: Hmmm. Maybe more. Every time I look at it, my price goes up.

Next up (and all I have photos ready for at the moment), is a yet another random medal from the gentleman who sold me my most favorite one of all time. It's silver, art deco, and by an awesome medallist. I'd never seen it before. The guy comes from France so I figured it was my one shot at it. He can read me like a book.

I also bought a fun ancient from @CIVITAS to add to my "ancients inspiring Albanian coins". From another seller an ancient that struck my fancy. Plus a couple Meiji era Japanese coins (a 50 sen in a date I didn't have, nothing special) and a prooflike 20 sen just because prooflike is a favored feature in Japan.

I also picked up a cool book about Mameita gin/bean money -- in Japanese so it was mostly for the pictures. I have google translate plus the author (who was there) gave me his card and email and an invitation to write with questions. It's just a super nice book just to eyeball the photos. Sometimes I'll see some and wonder if they are real vs. fantasy types. The book has a ton of varieties to look at.

I also bought a HUGE plaque with a mom/infant. It was the third show I'd stared at it. Because I was traveling a load after the show, why not buy the biggest medal I've ever gotten to go along with the book? That's smart right?! Oh well, I'd been drooling over it for 3 shows and who knows when the guy would have sold it.

Meant to go to one talk but ended up misreading the schedule. Felt bad about getting up and walking out in an otherwise sparsely (to me) attended talk. So I sat and listened in on Morgans/VAMs. Not my cup of tea, but oh well, it was actually a bit interesting.

I'll try and post more, but these two have been nagging at me to get photos up.

Overall the time was okay, I had the rest of my trip looming over me, so that was distracting. I would love to go back and perhaps contrary to others the venue was okay to me. Easy enough by train even.

Comments

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2019 7:21PM

Glad you bought it knowing you speak and read Japanese

20x ....?

I guess I could have asked a little more 😊

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stork I would really love to see that PL you have :p

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:
    Glad you bought it knowing you speak and read Japanese

20x ....?

I guess I could have asked a little more 😊

That's my SELLING price, buying price was fine ;)

My reading of Japanese is nearly non-existent. I can read the dates, numbers, and years ago I could read some place names, words like 'enter' 'exit' 'toilet' 'on' 'off'. I make extensive use of a translation I had done of a small part of the JNDA and honestly Google Translate can make good headway.

As for speaking, I was never as good as my then 5 year old when he was in a Japanese kindergarden (loved the shocked looks when he'd talk...he was fluent as a 5 year old though). What little bit I learned has faded quite a bit sadly. If I ever get the chance to go back I'll cram some audio lessons and hope it returns.

@Kliao said:
    @stork I would really love to see that PL you have :p

I have photos...I don't like them, so I have another trick or two to try and improve them. If not, I'll post what I've got over the weekend. I'm REALLY behind on my photos.

@Kliao

I'm not really happy with these, but suspect I won't get better any time soon. I played around with the software a bit to try and reflect (ha! see what I did there) the appearance better. Just like a modern proof, a shot can emphasize the depth and frost vs. the reflectivity. Granted this is only a 63 but the lighting that gives some of the better depth/frost really makes the chatter look worse than the 'in hand' look. This is a coin that might benefit from the video treatment.

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stork

Wow that coins is beautiful. I think the first pair of pictures are very nice.

If that’s the level of frosting needed for a PL then the one I have won’t be close. The reverse of mine looks like it will get the PL but the obverse isn’t anywhere close.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice meeting you at the show

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's one good-looking Bu. The medal is pretty neat, as well :)

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stork,

There may be a TrueView image of the Bu.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

@EVillageProwler said:
    @Stork,

There may be a TrueView image of the Bu.

EVP

Just checked, no such luck. I was a bit astonished at the number graded and graded higher even. A TrueView would have been awesome.

• StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report! It was good to see you at the show.

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stork said:
    Meant to go to one talk but ended up misreading the schedule. Felt bad about getting up and walking out in an otherwise sparsely (to me) attended talk. So I sat and listened in on Morgans/VAMs. Not my cup of tea, but oh well, it was actually a bit interesting.

If that was my talk you thought was a bit interesting, thanks for staying! Most talks are sparsely attended unless it's an industry big shot. Nice purchases.

@messydesk said:

@Stork said:

If that was my talk you thought was a bit interesting, thanks for staying! Most talks are sparsely attended unless it's an industry big shot. Nice purchases.

If that was you (a 4 pm-ish talk) then yes. The only Morgan I own is raw and in a 7070 :smiley:, and if I had to swear to the year or mint without looking I'd be in trouble. I may own 2 or 3 Peace dollars too (the one in the 7070 is 1921, so at least I know that much).

Considering how much an UN-Morgan-UN-VAM-UN-US collector/darksider I am, making that interesting is quite an achievement! I hope I did not make it sound otherwise.

The 'oh well' was directed at my knuckle-headedness at missing the talk I meant to sit in on. About medals and tokens.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stork said:

@messydesk said:

@Stork said:

If that was you (a 4 pm-ish talk) then yes. The only Morgan I own is raw and in a 7070 :smiley:, and if I had to swear to the year or mint without looking I'd be in trouble. I may own 2 or 3 Peace dollars too (the one in the 7070 is 1921, so at least I know that much).

Considering how much an UN-Morgan-UN-VAM-UN-US collector/darksider I am, making that interesting is quite an achievement! I hope I did not make it sound otherwise.

Thanks! My aim was to make the concept of learning stuff from studying varieties appeal to a broader audience, but my specialty is such that I used Morgan dollar varieties to illustrate it.