Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

When is a "PCGS Silver" coin not a "silver" coin

WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am trying to get PCGS to fix this descriptor error. I have had to send them a picture of both sides of a birth set coin (which I have done) but that seems fruitless to me as if they go to the PCGS #: 689665 they should easily see that the coins is a "clad" coin. I want to add this coin to my registry set as a Clad coin but because of the descriptor, I can only add it as a "silver" coin. Any thought or guidance would be appreciated.

2019-S 50C **Silver Birth **Set - First Strike, DCAM (Proof)
Series: Kennedy Half Dollars 1964 to Date
**PCGS #: 689665 **
Designer: N/A
Edge: N/A
Diameter: 30.61 millimeters
Weight: N/A
Mintage: N/A
Mint: N/A
Metal: **75% Copper, 25% Nickel over a pure Copper center **
Auction Record: N/A

Kennedys are my quest...

Comments

• Options

@WAYNEAS said:
    I am trying to get PCGS to fix this descriptor error. I have had to send them a picture of both sides of a birth set coin (which I have done) but that seems fruitless to me as if they go to the PCGS #: 689665 they should easily see that the coins is a "clad" coin. I want to add this coin to my registry set as a Clad coin but because of the descriptor, I can only add it as a "silver" coin. Any thought or guidance would be appreciated.

2019-S 50C **Silver Birth **Set - First Strike, DCAM (Proof)
    Series: Kennedy Half Dollars 1964 to Date
    **PCGS #: 689665 **
    Designer: N/A
    Edge: N/A
    Diameter: 30.61 millimeters
    Weight: N/A
    Mintage: N/A
    Mint: N/A
    Metal: **75% Copper, 25% Nickel over a pure Copper center **
    Auction Record: N/A

Hi @WAYNEAS

I see that you've been corresponding with our Set Registry Coordinator via email regarding this issue, she will be reaching out to you shortly via email as to how to correct the issue associated with your coin not being able to be added to the Registry Set you've been trying to add it to.

I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused, we will work with you to correct this as quickly as possible.

David Talk
    PCGS Set Registry Manager
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

So since Sept. 6th you have not resolved this issue.
    First was for me to send coins back to have a new PCGS # changed from #689665 to a new PCGS# ??????? and re-slabbed for a new cert#
    to: "we will see if we can change the descriptor from silver to clad" and then you put that on hold.
    It is going to cost PCGS a lot to have "ALL" Birth Coins ( 125 by my last count) set coins to be resubmitted for a new cert # and re-slabbed.
    I have personally 3 coins that say that they are listed as "silver" composition but we all know that they are "clad".
    Move along and get it fixed!!!

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    JFK_CollectorJFK_Collector Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    edited September 24, 2019 1:09PM

Patience. . .

I once had a coin sitting on David Hall's desk for 26 months before it got fixed.

Remember that when PCGS is attending coin shows, their inhouse staff is a lot smaller.

Two – four weeks is not unreasonable for PCGS to try an address an issue, patience is a wonderful thing.

• Options

Hello @WAYNEAS

I apologize for the delay, we thought the issue had been corrected. I've followed-up with our Set Registry Coordinator that was working to resolve the issue for you, everything should be showing correctly online now. She will be reaching out to you shortly for additional information regarding the specific set you were working to add the coin to.

If you continue to experience issues, with this matter or other Set Registry matters, please email our team at SetRegistry@Collectors.com.

As this has been resolved, I am closing this thread.

David Talk
    PCGS Set Registry Manager
This discussion has been closed.