Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

American Eagle One Ounce Silver Enhanced Reverse Proof (19XE) SOLD OUT

Comments

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:

@DelawareDoons said:
    I told my buddy to leave his in the original shipping box and list it on eBay as the last one sold by the mint. He will ask $22,000.

Umm........ did you add one to many zeros?

Absolutely not. The first and the last ones are the best ones.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last one sold by the mint...does he have the last mintage coa?

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had to buy one and hope it shipped soon. Just can’t have that one missing in my collection. I got most of all the others so felt like I had too get it before there all gone.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

no release today

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    TrumboTrumbo Posts: 93 ✭✭✭

I honestly think that they will not release any more. This whole ordeal has left them with a black eye, and they wish to be done with it. They thought they could control this nightmare they created, and found out they were not up to the challenge. Remember that they are not alone, ever tried to get a big concert ticket at face value? You can't. The bots the ticket sellers use overwhelm even the best systems. Hopefully they learn from this and move on.

• Options

Concur. As many members have stated a lottery system needs to be put in place. All interested parties need to have purchased from the mint in the last year, have responded to email from mint expressing interest in the release, all positive responses are then thrown in the mix for random selection. Winners are notified and when coin is released you enter your confirmation number and pay. 48 hours of no response, another name is drawn and notified

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    engmticengmtic Posts: 107 ✭✭

@Mgarmy said:
    Concur. As many members have stated a lottery system needs to be put in place. All interested parties need to have purchased from the mint in the last year, have responded to email from mint expressing interest in the release, all positive responses are then thrown in the mix for random selection. Winners are notified and when coin is released you enter your confirmation number and pay. 48 hours of no response, another name is drawn and notified

good idea in theory but not practice.
    Not allowing new customers to purchase is a dead on arrival proposal.
    It's too unfair to new interested hobbyists.
    Yes, 95% new ccounts will be flippers, but it's too not fair to genuinely new interested cuatomers.
    Mint will never do in a million years

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ticket deal could be solved by having to have a name printed on the ticket itself with stringent rules which would allow the transfer to another party.

@Trumbo said:
    I honestly think that they will not release any more. This whole ordeal has left them with a black eye, and they wish to be done with it. They thought they could control this nightmare they created, and found out they were not up to the challenge. Remember that they are not alone, ever tried to get a big concert ticket at face value? You can't. The bots the ticket sellers use overwhelm even the best systems. Hopefully they learn from this and move on.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,782 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mgarmy said:

Ridiculous. What about the Mint customers who have bought for 20 years and just didn't buy anything in the previous year? What about the lost opportunity to gain new customers?

Here's an idea: why don't they just mint the beejesus out of all new items so that they are never worth more than the issue price. Then you can line up and buy them all whenever you want. Oh...wait...no one will ever buy them because it will always be cheaper to buy them a year (or 2 or 10) later on the open market.

It would be better if the Mint just stopped making any collector coins. They don't make any money on them anyway. Let them get back to just making money for commerce...well, until digital currency eliminates the need.

• Options

@Trumbo said:

Other than your own dissatisfaction, show me any evidence of a "black eye"?

This was the most successful Mint offering in a decade. It did EXACTLY what it was designed to do.

• Options
    edited December 23, 2019 9:55AM

JM are you always a contrarian. Do you get off on being the opposition on everything. Enough dude
    It’s getting old

• Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

The problem is with the website.

Why do I need a pull down menu for my shipping address and payment..?...?

These are already stored as my defaults.

Having to do that causes hits to the database and major choke points.

Once you get to that payment page, it should be hit enter and your done.

Horrible design.

• Options

Also concur

• Options

@Mgarmy said:
    JM are you always a contrarian. Do you get off on being the opposition on everything. Enough dude
    It’s getting old

Actually, I've been very consistently a defender of the Mint on this. There is nothing contrarian about it. What happened is EXACTLY what the Mint wanted to happen. No more no less.

And, I might ask, why is it not you who is being contrarian? On a thread that has been very PRO the 2019-S Reverse Proof ASE, you are the one being critical.

• Options
    TrumboTrumbo Posts: 93 ✭✭✭

Didn't mean to start a fight, I was lucky enough to get one and my daughter snatched another one for me. I was only referring to the release of any remaining coins. I still check every morning, but don't think they'll release any more. Hoping I'm wrong. God bless us all, everyone.

• Options

I am pro the coin, I got one on day one and bought a 70 low presale day three. However that does not mean that the mint could not have done a better job in the rollout because they knew creating an artificial rarity was going to send a bolt through the system. How many collectors who might be only missing the 95w now are down the top two and maybe the 98 reverse 07

Anywho it’s all good man, apologies if I misinterpreted your post. I try to never assume intent unless person ends with your a dumb azz😁

• Options

It looks like the bubble is slowly deflating.

PR69's are dropping to around $1,200 while 70's are going for around $2,100.

• Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭

In the big picture BigA is right. A great return on a $65 coin. I'll wait and see what happens after the holidays for the trend to show itself on ultimate values.

• Options
    fox9487fox9487 Posts: 285 ✭✭✭

@BigA said:

@Archemia said:

Yup...that sucks for a $65 coin ;)

I am perfectly fine with the price holding at around $87? per coin. My final cost per coin I am keeping, grading included.

Successful Transactions: Coinflip, bp777, firstspousecoins, Akbeez, jmlanzaf, JWP
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shoot at this rate of falling prices I may ave to resubmit my 69 and try for a 70 through guaranteed resubmission!

• Options
    coinercoiner Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

The focal points are the sun on the obverse and the shield horizontal field on the reverse. Any sign of chatter or abrasion there and you’ve got yourself a PR69. That is if you have no other nasty bagmarks or ticks elsewhere.....

• Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mgarmy said:

Yours is a Terrible idea. I’ve looked at various options on many web posts and the method the Mint employed on this offering was as fair as any. Anytime you have 260,000 people trying for 30,000 coins, you are going to have 230,000 disgruntled customers.

The offering on November 14th for the 2019-S Enhanced Reverse Proof American Silver Eagle was the Most Successful offering on the part of the MINT in years.

The numismatic and bullion side of the Mint is dying a Slow Death. The Mint has been hemorrhaging customers and hemorrhaging profits.

The Mint HAD to do something for the secondary market because if you don’t have a viable secondary market then eventually you will not have a viable primary market.

This offering on the part of the Mint checked off all the boxes that the Mint sought...

• Options
    RINATIONALSRINATIONALS Posts: 171 ✭✭✭

No present today

buying Rhode Island Nationals please email, PM or call 401-295-3000
  • Options

@RINATIONALS said:
    No present today

Hey! that's my job! :D:D>:)

No release today

Collector

• Options

@RINATIONALS said:
    No present today

That's because you were naughty.

Expect coal.

• Options

@cagcrisp said:

@Mgarmy said:

Yours is a Terrible idea. I’ve looked at various options on many web posts and the method the Mint employed on this offering was as fair as any. Anytime you have 260,000 people trying for 30,000 coins, you are going to have 230,000 disgruntled customers.

The offering on November 14th for the 2019-S Enhanced Reverse Proof American Silver Eagle was the Most Successful offering on the part of the MINT in years.

The numismatic and bullion side of the Mint is dying a Slow Death. The Mint has been hemorrhaging customers and hemorrhaging profits.

The Mint HAD to do something for the secondary market because if you don’t have a viable secondary market then eventually you will not have a viable primary market.

This offering on the part of the Mint checked off all the boxes that the Mint sought...

I'll tell you the other problem with a lottery system: how would you know when to use it?

At most, there are 1 or 2 offerings a year where there is any 1st day sell-out potential. And those often take hours to sell-out.

If the Mint were designating certain issues as "lottery issues" then it would be a public pronouncement that it was a manufactured rarity that was intentionally underproduced. And if a new issue was not designated as a "lottery issue" then the Mint would be telling the buying public to delay or NOT buy the new issue because it was going to be a market loser. Can you think of a worse marketing problem? And if the Mint started using the lottery declaration to sell coins that didn't sell out, they would end up with constantly disgruntled customers and probably a high rate of returns because people would feel tricked.

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
          @RINATIONALS said:
          No present today

Actually, it's because Santa'a elves stole the remaining coins or sold them to family members at the North Pole's gift shop!

HO HO HO!!!

And because you've all been very naughty little children...Santa will only bring you 69's next year!!!

HO HO HO!!!

• Options

@RichR said:

@RINATIONALS said:
    No present today

Actually, it's because Santa'a elves stole the remaining coins or sold them to family members at the North Pole's gift shop!

HO HO HO!!!

And because you've all been very naughty little children...Santa will only bring you 69's next year!!!

HO HO HO!!!

69!?! Wow that’s generous I thought h Santa will bring 68s

Collector

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
          69!?! Wow that’s generous I thought h Santa will bring 68s

Santa works at NGC now...HO HO HO!!!

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2019 6:55AM

I'll tell you the other problem with a lottery system: how would you know when to use it?

Australia figured it out. You avoid the 15 minutes of mayhem and it's fair. I don't care if you're right and the odds are less ( not sure that's right all mint customers are not paying attention everyday). I like the lottery idea. They don't use the entire mailing list to pick from only those that sign up in a relatively short window.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll take all the '69s I can get!

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

@7Jaguars said:
    I'll take all the '69s I can get!

We're still talking coins.....right ?

• Options

@BigA said:

@Archemia said:

Yup...that sucks for a $65 coin ;)

The point is they're dropping. I wouldn't mind buying one back but what's the hurry

• Options

@cagcrisp said:

@Mgarmy said:

so alienating your base while you are in decline... awesome. And I bought one through the mint and one after market early on. So this is not sour grapes. Your opinion has been noted

• Options

@Mgarmy said:

@cagcrisp said:

@Mgarmy said:

so alienating your base while you are in decline... awesome. And I bought one through the mint and one after market early on. So this is not sour grapes. Your opinion has been noted

The Mint's customer base has gone from 2.5 Million to "Less than 500,000". I don't see it alienating a "base". IF the Mint was to announce today that they were selling 30,000 Silver Kennedy half dollars, you would see 260,000+ on the website. All the cry babies haven't gone Anywhere...

• Options

@JimTyler said:

Australia figured it out. You avoid the 15 minutes of mayhem and it's fair. I don't care if you're right and the odds are less ( not sure that's right all mint customers are not paying attention everyday). I like the lottery idea. They don't use the entire mailing list to pick from only those that sign up in a relatively short window.

All your suggestion would do is Expand the mailing list. We have enough Friends and Family accounts already without having to create multiple current sales accounts just to get on a mailing list.

• Options

@cagcrisp said:

@JimTyler said:

All your suggestion would do is Expand the mailing list. We have enough Friends and Family accounts already without having to create multiple current sales accounts just to get on a mailing list.

Mailing list has nothing to do with lottery, you have to sign up for it. You're assuming everyone will have hindsight before the lottery and know this is going to be worth $1000 more than issue. If everyone was that smart there wouldn't have been so many sold for $400 and cancel their sale when they saw the price go up so don't expect them to be smart before they go on sale.

• Options

@JimTyler said:

@cagcrisp said:

@JimTyler said:

Mailing list has nothing to do with lottery, you have to sign up for it. You're assuming everyone will have hindsight before the lottery and know this is going to be worth $1000 more than issue. If everyone was that smart there wouldn't have been so many sold for $400 and cancel their sale when they saw the price go up so don't expect them to be smart before they go on sale.

Then...Your just asking me to get More Friends and Family to sign up. I'm not assuming anything. The fact was that 260,000 were on the site for 30,000 coins. Having people sign up doesn't do anything for that or a lottery doesn't solve the problem that Many will be shut out no matter what the distribution method...

• Options

You are right many will be shut out no matter what the distribution method but lottery is the fairest in my opinion. You can get all your friends to sign up so you have more chances but if one of your friends win the lottery that shouldn't benefit you if they're your friend.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thebigeng said:
    Shoot at this rate of falling prices I may ave to resubmit my 69 and try for a 70 through guaranteed resubmission!

If the coin had a flaw before, it will still be there when you send it in again.

Do you think the graders go blind after they look at 4,000 of these?, or do you think they learn to look more carefully where the tiny faults usually are?

• Options

@Goldminers said:

@thebigeng said:

If the coin had a flaw before, it will still be there when you send it in again.

Do you think the graders go blind after they look at 4,000 of these?, or do you think they learn to look more carefully where the tiny faults usually are?

I am a member at all three and got a 69 at one and am going to resubmit to another. If I come up two strikes, will put it up on the bay and take my lumps

• Options
    jerseyralphjerseyralph Posts: 115 ✭✭✭

I think the way to deal with these future limited releases is to find a way to prevent the bots from taking over the Mint website. I do not mind competing with humans, even if they have paid friends and family members. I do mind competing with a computer. I do not have a solution to prevent the bots from buying these coins during the sale. Maybe there is a way to analyze post sale who bought the items and declare the bot purchases void.

Only time will tell whether platinum is king.
  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jerseyralph said:
    I do mind competing with a computer.

Why?

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2019 11:46AM

@Mgarmy said:

@Goldminers said:

@thebigeng said:

I am a member at all three and got a 69 at one and am going to resubmit to another. If I come up two strikes, will put it up on the bay and take my lumps

I was just trying to help save you some money, the odds of our hosts upgrading any recently slabbed 69 from another service to a 70 are less than 1%.

• Options

@Goldminers said:

@Mgarmy said:

@Goldminers said:

@thebigeng said:

I was just trying to help save you some money, the odds of our hosts upgrading any recently slabbed 69 from another service to a 70 are less than 1%.

I agree 100. Gonna crack it

• Options
    edited December 24, 2019 12:19PM

@Mgarmy said:

@Goldminers said:

@Mgarmy said:

@Goldminers said:

@thebigeng said:

I agree 100. Gonna crack it

I worked with Gene Henry (rest in peace) about 20 years ago. He would take the slab in his hand and very carefully slam it flat as hard as he could on the floor to crack it out. The one I remember vividly was an expensive pine tree shilling. Just in case you wanted a suggestion on how to crack it out NOT!!! ( but the story is true)
    Edit : Man am I old.....not 20 years ago, 30 years ago.

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have gone over both sides on the "69" cannot find a thing.... Yes the rims too! I found some mint fluff from the holder but nothing else, the coin is flawless in my opinion.

• Options

@JimTyler said:

@cagcrisp said:

@JimTyler said:

There were 260,000 people (and bots) logged on at noon. Whether they sold at $400 instead of $1000 is irrelevant. They all knew to buy at $66.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file