Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Some impressive modern errors from Chile

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 10, 2019 5:21AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I was looking at some Chile error coins and was impressed by both the error and the offered prices. These are from R5-D4.

(2005-06) Double Obverse Error

I'm not sure how this one was created. Do modern Chile dies make it easy to use the same die in both the hammer and the anvil positions?

This is currently offered for an amazing $35,000 on eBay. It was originally sold for just $900 on eBay in 2018.

2011 Double Obverse Error

This is another double obverse error, but not bi-metallic.

2008 Mexico 50 Peso "CHIIE" Error

This coin has the country "CHILE" misspelled as "CHIIE".

Comments

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

neat but those are some ridiculous prices being asked....

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    Moxie15Moxie15 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

I am skeptical of any double obverse or double reverse coin.
    In a machine shop setting it is rather easy to prevent a tool from being placed in the wrong arbor by making it a different size or shape. It is hard for me to accept that this has escaped the makers and users of coin presses.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Offered for" is vastly different than "sold for".

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

It will be interesting to see what these eventually get sold for.

Agree that the double obverse errors may have had some help. Anyone know what the dies looked like at the time and if they had interchangeable positions?

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

All I will say is that for at least the past three years, some exceptional counterfeit "modern foreign coins" have been on the market. I advise only buying foreign errors after they are certified so you are protected.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sage advice there. I did pop for one three days ago (GB 1970 Penny) that I will post (and send for certification) on receipt.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just be aware that some countries' errors are worth less than others, especially since some mints have loose oversight.