Home U.S. Coin Forum

"TrueView" Photo of Category 5 Hurricane Dorian

WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 4, 2019 11:28AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I hope everyone in its path stays safe.

Comments

• morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

About as well defined as they come. God bless those in the path.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 14,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enormous

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I couldn't imagine being in the Northern Bahamas right now.

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dpoole said:
    Holy cow. Category 5 now??

180 mph sustained winds with gusts of 220 mph as of the 11:00 AM EST update

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those things are a freak of nature!

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS MS05 Labor Day Holiday Weekend ruined...end of summer finale. Next in line: Erin, Fernand, Gabrielle, and Huberto.

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thoughts go out to all in the path of Dorian. My grandfather passed away after he was felled by a limb from a tree during Hurricane Andrew. Big hurricanes are terrifying.

"It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:

There are people as I write this, experiencing 185 mph winds sustained.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unprecedented.....My prayers to all affected.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be safe to all!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an incredibly powerful storm. I went through a hurricane at sea when in the Navy... it was an experience that is still talked about today when I go to ship reunions..... and the one I was in was not a monster like Dorian...Cheers, RickO

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wai...whaa??

A big storm hitting the southern Atlantic coast? Low lying coastal communities built at sea level are threatened with high wind and flooding?? No waaay, that seldom happens! Who would have imagined?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• LeroyLeroy Posts: 186 ✭✭✭

It's strange how the media controls the people. Friday, there were cars lined up for gas so far that it blocked lanes of traffic in some areas. Supermarket shelves were empty as far as basic necessities like water, bread, toilet paper... Then it was reported that Dorian made a slight WNW shift Saturday morning and the lines at the gas stations disappeared, grocery shelves started to get restocked and everything went back to normal.

I'm sure people would react the same even if they reported a storm that didn't really exist.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying that there is no hurricane right now, there is, and it's one of the strongest storms ever recorded. If a cat five hurricane makes landfall with wind gusts over 200 MPH it will be complete devastation anywhere within 20 miles on both sides of the eye.

Interesting fact - The Ibis is the last bird to leave before a hurricane makes landfall and the first to return after the storm.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

@morgansforever said:

@amwldcoin said:

There are people as I write this, experiencing 185 mph winds sustained.

Those are 1 minute sustained average wind speeds. There are gusts up to 220+ mph. I can't imagine what the Bahamians are going through right now.

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's hope the Meteorologists have the track right and the steering winds push it north. 185 mph winds were said to be that of an F4 tornado that lasts for hours instead of minutes.

• NapNap Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭✭✭

Having been through a category 5 in the Caribbean, it is certainly no joke.

Stay safe!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most people have not been through a major hurricane and cannot understand the true strength and devastation it can have on homes,people and even shorelines....It is a force to be avoided if possible. I have been through one at sea, and we were lucky to survive. Cheers, RickO

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

Imagine what the USS Central America experience must have been like with a monster like that!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • logger7logger7 Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 4, 2019 10:28AM

I grade it a gem DMPL! Scary.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file