Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

With Andrew Luck's early retirement does it make sense to buy his rc Auto?

Just curious, it seems some sellersare asking moon money for his rc auto Like a 7x jump
Does it make sense to buy one and hold?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-1-ANDREW-LUCK-2012-PANINI-NATIONAL-TREASURES-PLATINUM-PATCH-RC-5-BGS-10-AUTO/141791627158?hash=item2103708796:g:2m4AAOSw4HVWD97q

Comments

• steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

Funny because most of his stuff is dropping like a rock

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Buy one and hold???? Now would not be the time to buy if they are increasing 7x. I’m a Luck fan, but don’t see an increased demand for his cards.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Common box in 10 years.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    Common box in 10 years.

This

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my opinion, the only premise that would make sense to buy Andrew Luck rookie cards right now, would be under the hope that he will come back.

Luck coming back to play football? That would be a shocker in my view.

Stranger things have happened in sports. But based on everything Luck has said, and the fact that he is extremely wealthy and doesn't need the money, I'd say there's no way he's ever coming back.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any previous investments on his cards is a gambling loss any future investments on his cards will just be a waste of money

• GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

His investment trajectory is likely not to be unlike Daunte Culpepper (seriously, compare their careers). Daunte's RCs aren't hard to get.

• A game used Andrew Luck jersey just sold for $2,399 on Ebay. These game used jerseys sold (and are still for sale) on Panin's website for $8k. Great bargain if, and this is a HUGE if, you feel he will come back and make an impact.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Luck retirement really is a game changer for football card collectors. Franchise QB RCs are considered the closest thing to a sure bet in the football card collecting and now that belief has taken a serious hit with Luck's retirement. While football careers cut short by injuries is nothing new, a franchise level QB retiring without a specific career ending injury or concussion problem is new. I hope this is an anomaly and not a trend.

Just to be clear, I'm not criticizing Luck for his decision, it's a free country. I am just used to QBs toughing it out to try to get back from injury. This makes me appreciate QBs like Farve, Manning, Brady, Steve Young, Montana, Rodgers, Rivers, Eli, Big Ben, and Aikman even more for their longevity and drive to compete.

Mike
  • 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GreenSneakers said:
    His investment trajectory is likely not to be unlike Daunte Culpepper (seriously, compare their careers). Daunte's RCs aren't hard to get.

Perfect example. Culpepper and Luck will be Side by side in common boxes in 10 years. I guess I’m repeating myself but there is no upside at all. If you bought his RC you gambled and lost.
    The only award Luck won in his career ( I think ) was Comeback Player of the Year again after missing a whole season because of injury. No SB rings.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

“Suck for Luck” has a whole new meaning now 😂

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember when the colts threw the last game of 2011 in order the get the number 1 pick of the draft of 2012

• ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

@Skrill90 said:
    Just curious, it seems some sellersare asking moon money for his rc auto Like a 7x jump
    Does it make sense to buy one and hold?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-1-ANDREW-LUCK-2012-PANINI-NATIONAL-TREASURES-PLATINUM-PATCH-RC-5-BGS-10-AUTO/141791627158?hash=item2103708796:g:2m4AAOSw4HVWD97q

Is this your card, or have you made an offer yet?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2, 2019 3:10PM

Luck took the money and ran. His cards will suck, just a matter of time. Chuck Bednarik & Norm Van Brocklin along with Johnny U are laughing their asses off. Pathetic....Luck

chaz

• pheldaphelda Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

I was in a fantasy football league for a few years, but dropped out last year and did not rejoin this year. A bunch of my friends still beg me to come back into the league, but for me I can't do it. My friend said that some guy joined this year and got the first overall pick. They said the new guy was a clown and didn't know anything about football. I said who cares?, let the guy have fun, its only a $20 league. Long story short, the new guy picked Andrew Luck with the first overall pick. I'm not joking, and the draft was last night. Maybe I should have stayed in the league, I could have cleaned up this year.