Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I opened an Exhibit cello pack with Mantle on top - check out my video

Comments

• Options
    HorseHorse Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2019 3:03PM

“It shouldn’t be inside of a pack”

Greatest words ever uttered in the history of the hobby !!!!!

Or was it “Should be outside of a pack”.

Either, or... Brilliant !!!

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2019 3:24PM

Thanx for sharing Barry.

Be interested to see how ya do with the Mantle.

On the Tony? I've seen background differences in the card - one a bit lighter than the other.

Here's a variation to your Mantle - notice the "c" and "k" are not attached and the white shadow on the lettering is missing.

BTW - me and "Wheaties" Tim had a discussion one day about the photo and based on the patch on his shoulder - we believe that this is a one shot photo from 1951. And - if my memory is right - he was sporting #6 on his jersey?

Mike
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

Thanks, Mike!
    As for the photo, yes, I believe it was from 1951 as well and yes, he was surely wearing number 6 at that time. He was then sent to the minors for a short time and when he returned, he asked for number 7.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool pack, and a nicely done video Barry.

When's the next group sub? B)

• Options

@nam812 said:
    Very cool pack, and a nicely done video Barry.

When's the next group sub? B)

Thanks!
    And I plan on doing a sub maybe next month? Im still going through a big stack of stuff I am considering. Takes a lot of time. I'll let you know if you want in. I wasnt going to offer it as a group sub but you are welcome to piggyback.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, this was really fun to watch. What a cool video!

@Stone193

You’re definitely correct about that being the ‘51 patch. As to whether or not there’s a 6 on his back, my guess would be yes but there’s no guarantee. I say that because I think those patches were worn during the entire regular season and Mickey wore both 6 and 7 in his rookie year so it would depend on where and when it was taken. If the Exhibit Card Company produced these cards prior to 1951 season, it’s a 6. If these were made during the season (or at seasons end), it’s possible it’s a 7. The history of Exhibit cards is rich long and very in depth. I have not been down that rabbit hole but the sets - in general - are some of the most important cards ever produced and are truly a very, very underrated genre of collecting. I have always loved this card (and grabbed this copy just have one as they’re semi rare) simply for the striking look of the pose:

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

very nice
    thanks for sharing this with us.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

Do you remember who you bought that cello pack from Barry?

Just curious.

Mike
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2019 5:41PM

@Stone193 said:

Just curious.

I do not. I don't even remember if I bought it on ebay or at a show or where. I have had it for many years and I have a horrible memory.

• Options

@yankeeno7 said:

@Stone193 said:

Just curious.

I do not. I don't even remember if I bought it on ebay or at a show or where. I have had it for many years and I have a horrible memory.

I remember years ago Columbia City Collectibles who advertised in SCD had them all the time - prices were fair - I always just procrastinated - wish I hadn't.

Mike
  • Options

yankeeno7--- Thanks for the video sharing with us your wonderful experience of opening an Exhibit pack. Very cool.

I love those Mantle exhibits. About 30 years ago, I purchased one of the above-shown scarce Mantle exhibit portraits, issued in the last series the Exhibit Co. made them, which I remember to be 1964-66. It really looks like Mickey is giving someone his dreaded "hate stare". Could it be that it was sportswriter Maury Allen that Mick was focusing his grimace upon, the writer whom Mick famously said, "You piss me off just standing there." Anyway, the dealer from whom I purchased the tough Mantle portrait exhibit was Steve Reeves, known as "The Exhibit Man". Exhibits were his specialty. He had many unopened packs. For several years, he focused solely on exhibits. I was interested in getting the portrait, and Steve sold me what he believed was a mint example for $400. Mantle cards were skyrocketing at the time, and even in the 250 or so pages of SPORTS COLLECTORS DIGEST, you rarely ran into anyone offering the scarce Exhibit portrait. I really need to have that baby graded; I have kept it in an acetate holder used for stamp plate blocks and currency. It's time it got graded.

Back to the OP, I wish you the best in getting your beautiful Exhibit of Mick graded; hopefully the two edge nicks won't hurt its grade too much.

Again, thanks for sharing with us your joy. Happy collecting, bro. --- Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

• Options
    edited September 4, 2019 7:02AM

It's time it got graded.

Looking forward to seeing it in a graded holder, Brian.

Got a scan of the pack right now?

Mike
  • Options

I'm sorry, Mike. I must have worded my story wrong; Steve Reeves sold me the Mickey Mantle portrait exhibit card itself. Take care, my friend. Best regards, Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

• Options

@IndianaJones said:
    I'm sorry, Mike. I must have worded my story wrong; Steve Reeves sold me the Mickey Mantle portrait exhibit card itself. Take care, my friend. Best regards, Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

Nothing to apologize buddy - I was the one who misunderstood.

Still look forward to seeing it in a PSA holder.

Mike