Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

RPM or Machine Doubling...............................

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a pic of the MM and surrounding area of a 1963-D Dime. It is probably MD. My question is that if this is MD why is nothing else doubled or offset. When the die bounces or planchet turns wouldn't everything be doubled? How can JUST the MM get the doubling? So is this a RPM or MD?

Comments

• Options
    TradesWithChopsTradesWithChops Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭

my vote is rpm

Minor Variety Trade dollar's with chop marks set:
    More Than It's Chopped Up To Be

• Options
    Moxie15Moxie15 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

I do not think that is Machine Doubling

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe that is MD
    MD is a funny bird that sometimes only affects some design elements and not others.
    Here is a great example.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2019 6:15PM

@DIMEMAN said:
    My question is that if this is MD why is nothing else doubled or offset.

that is the bazillion dollar question and ive never heard a decent answer. not that many and myself have tried.

with all other legitimate doubling with various pivot point(s) and tilt, it all seems to make sense. there is some doubling that is still just plain odd.

inconsistent md is and will continue to be a mystery to me; especially in situations like your mm dime and ive seen many coins/denoms like that with various elements.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like MD to me.

As for why it is only on some design elements, that's usually the case. I don't think I've ever seen a coin where there was equivalent doubling on all design elements. Sometimes multiple elements, sometimes just a date or a motto. My guess, we need @FredWeinberg or maybe @errorsoncoins, but my guess is that it is because of the structure of the die and the condition of various design elements. I imagine when the planchet skips a little bit, some of the more firmly held elements stay relative stable. Or, maybe it's more that the MD expresses itself as a slight displacement of the entire design element rather than a little shelf.

I could be totally off base on my guess. @Insider2 will be along to call me a moron if I am. But if you look at the vertical line on the main "D" and the second "D", they are identical in shape and displacement. An RPM would not be such a perfect shadow.

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of the RPM Roosies have a unique looking repunched MM, as this is identical to the main MM, so I vote MD.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like me to me as well jmo

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

MD too me. of course. But how are the other attributes not affected. Are they printing shells, and then ....never mind. MD !

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know much on the subject but surely looks neat :)

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a RPM.

• Options
    Moxie15Moxie15 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

Well, pituitary! I knew I should have checked my CPG as soon as I posted my thoughts.
    Oh well, live and learn.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting example.... and the seemingly exact variations in the D edge lends credence to machine doubling... but sure is clearly defined...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

During the exact moment a coin is struck there are a lot of parts in motion.
    The force of the strike causes extreme actions, reactions, heat, metal displacement etc.
    Now add 2 separate dies, one in motion as well as the planchet itself and you have a lot of
    possibilities of chatter.

Not a surprise why MD is so common.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file