Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Clever way to sell fakes....

AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just buy a cheapo stainless money clip and attach any Chinese junk..........charge $30.....

bob :(
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Two-Sided-Money-Clip-Morgan-Silver-Dollar-Commemorative-1893-CC/293207299106

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Comments

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2019 8:31AM

I would agree but in the detain under certification he has it listed as replica. I did not see it in the description so a person could think he was buying the real thing. Not sure who’s fault that would be? I guess let the buyer beware. :)

Thank you for sharing.

• Options

Replicas, copies, reproductions and counterfeits are specifically spelled out by ebay that you cannot sell them on their site.
    bob :)

here is ebay rule:
    Replica coins aren't allowed. All other stamps, coins, and paper money must be accurately described
    Replica, plated, or clad bullion isn't allowed

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2019 9:10AM

Thank you I did not know that. You learn something meaningful every day here! Well now that seller has some splainin to do! I am going to guess half the people who read your post was not aware also but may of been hesitant to ask. Which is why I knew you would educate me. Thank You again.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2019 9:58AM

@AUandAG said:
    Replicas, copies, reproductions and counterfeits are specifically spelled out by ebay that you cannot sell them on their site.

here is ebay rule:
    Replica coins aren't allowed. All other stamps, coins, and paper money must be accurately described
    Replica, plated, or clad bullion isn't allowed

This is true. But eBay also won't sell you anything that says Cuba - even if it is American in origin and 120 years old. I listed a postcard of a U.S. warship in Cuba circa 1898, cancelled ON THE SHIP in Havana harbor, meaning technically canceled "on U.S. soil".

So:
    1. You are right, eBay would probably pull it.
    2. I'm not sure I would call that "selling fakes" as he is not trying to deceive anyone. It should say "copy" somewhere on the coin. I imagine the HPA is hard to enforce internationally.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

They have to find an outlet for all those fake coins somewhere.... so on jewelry and accessories they go.... :'( Cheers, RickO

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

look at the closed auctions, he has already sold quite a few, he even sold a lot of 3 for 70 dollars

• Options

You cannot sell anything from any country that is embargoed: Cuba, Iran, Syria, etc

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file