Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

J.Wiener Cathedral experts, need your opinion please.....CATHEDRAL AT AACHEN (AIX-LA-CHAPELLE)

KnellKnell Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought my 2nd Aachen Cathedral Medal (cheap) but it doesn't look authentic (OK with me, just wanted to have a not expensive sample I can handle without worrying about oil in hands or contamination). Anyway sample on the left (top) photo is my 1st Aachen and the one in the right is the cheap sample. Notice the second sample looks like cast (IMO) and has legend/wording on top.
2nd sample on right is about 8 grams lower than the first sample and about 1mm smaller too.

Thanks for comments and/or opinions.

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

No idea of authenticity, but visually the one on the left is very much more eye appealing.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Knell you have the most discipline .... sticking to your passion and hear is another addition to add :) congrats

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would definitely call it a copy of some sort.... much less definition in the images....perhaps a translation of the wording of the legend (top right) would give an explanation. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2019 5:26AM

The example on the left is missing detail on some of the peripheral lettering.
    Interesting strike flaw on this medal ????

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    numismagramnumismagram Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

There are two different types for the Aachen medal—one with text above on the obverse (Reinecke 21) and one without (Reinecke 20). The one on the right though does have a definite cast appearance, given the softness to the surfaces, weakness in the letters, and scattered pits (from air bubbles during casting).

Jeremy Bostwick

For exceptional works of medallic art, check out our current inventory at Numismagram!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file