Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Newest addition to my Trade Dollar set

CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently added this crusty 1878s $1 to my Trade Dollar set. This set is kind of something I recently started to keep myself going while I wait for the LSDs I need to finish that set. This 78s is one of the more easy to find dates in the series. It’s really got the look I’m going for. My pics are not the best but they are the best I can do...She was fairly inexpensive and I’m very happy to own her. Originally set out for an all AU58 CAC approved set but quickly found that was not going to be as easy as I thought. After a little frustration I decided to open the range from XF45 -AU58 with the added challenge trying to find them all CAC approved. Im not nearly as far into this set as I am my LSDs but I’m thinking I’ll probably finish this set before I’m done with my LSDs. Simply because the last dates I need are not available in my grade range with the look I’m going for. Plus the remaining LSDs are all very expensive. Anyways tell me what you think about this old crusty lady.... And any thoughts or tips about building a quality Trade Dollar set would definitely be helpful.

Comments

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think if you keep picking ones that look like that, you'll do just fine!

• Options
    TradesWithChopsTradesWithChops Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭

Love it! Very original.

tip: do a chop marked set :D

Minor Variety Trade dollar's with chop marks set:
    More Than It's Chopped Up To Be

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it. There’s a collector who built a complete trade dollar set in XF45 CAC. It was harder to do than you might think.

• Options
    edited August 30, 2019 7:51PM

@TradesWithChops said:
    Love it! Very original.

tip: do a chop marked set :D

Thanks for the tip. I know this will be very unpopular amongst most Trade Dollar gurus but I don’t get the desire for the chopped dollars. Maybe over time they will grow on me? I love the history of the Trade Dollars and understand why they were chopped but I’d much rather own coins that were not slammed and marked up. Maybe some day I’ll pick one up just to have an example since it’s a big part of the coins history... But thanks again for your compliment on my new purchase.

@OriginalDan said:
    I like it. There’s a collector who built a complete trade dollar set in XF45 CAC. It was harder to do than you might think.

Yes .... old Chelsea’s Trade dollar set is absolutely amazing and I have a lot of respect for what he pulled off. But what is even more impressive is what he has done with his Liberty Seated dollar set. Simply incredible.... I’ve never met him in person but have chatted via PMs. His LSD set has been an inspiration for my set...

• Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭

I would love to have a nice example like that. Very nice coin!

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2019 8:13PM

Thanks for showing a crusty coin........which is very attractive. Crusty silver has much of the same appeal as toned copper. But please explain if the crust is Natural Crust or Artificial Crust. Are there any coin doctor's that do crust like toned copper? And can you mess good crust up with soap and water?

PCGS should consider the sub description coins such as yours as "crusty" as it is polar opposite from DCAM.

You do seem to be the most knowlegible numismatic crust expert on this Forum.

OINK

• Options

@OldIndianNutKase said:
    Thanks for showing a crusty coin........which is very attractive. Crusty silver has much of the same appeal as toned copper. But please explain if the crust is Natural Crust or Artificial Crust. Are there any coin doctor's that do crust like toned copper? And can you mess good crust up with soap and water?

You do seem to be the most knowlegible numismatic crust expert on this Forum.

OINK

AT or NT.... under a 10x loupe this coin does not have a single hairline which is important and is a good sign that it has not been scrubbed.I have not owned this coin and watched over her since the day she was minted so obviously can’t be certain that she has never been messed with but to me there are no obvious signs. If you pop on eBay you’ll see thousands of trade dollars for sale most have obviously been cleaned, damaged, corroded, rim dinged,etc.... I don’t know very many people in the coin world so I have no clue about who the coin doctors are? I love example that have the crust around the stars and devices giving it a bit of a cameo effect. I am far from being the expert of these boards but thanks I did chuckle when I read that.... I just know the look when I see it and I go for it....

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool piece :)

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well on your way. is your set a composite of each year or does it require multiple slots. Does it limit to just US trade dollars or are you including other countries as well.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like Trade Dollars in XF45.... it is a grade that shows some commerce, but lots of good, remaining detail...Good luck with your set. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pickup.

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2019 7:21AM

Love the toning 👍

• Options

@Kkathyl said:
    Well on your way. is your set a composite of each year or does it require multiple slots. Does it limit to just US trade dollars or are you including other countries as well.

I’m planning on a date and mint mark set of US Trade dollars. At this point I’m not into the varieties or chops. I figured it would be cool to have a run of dollars from 1840-1878 that all have a similar look. At some point I’ll probably add a Gobrecht....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file