Home U.S. Coin Forum

I know it has been asked before.but...........holed coin values

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know it has been asked before.but...........holed coin values

I'm selling my "junk" and I use that term loosely perhaps I should say I'm ridding myself of things so that my heirs will not take them to Coin Star.

I'll post pics later.

Anyone's thoughts or experiences or references appreciated.
Boston

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holed early dollar is worth about $400 for the non rare dates.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's no global answer. A holed chain cent has a whole different value, even as a percentage of guide, than a holed Morgan $. A common date holed Morgan $ is bullion. A holed 1889-CC dollar still has numismatic value.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even for the same date/mint mark combination, how the hole is done can make a difference. Some people collect "jewelry coins" - buttons, cuff links, etc. Small holes for use as a button are different than a big ugly hole in the center.

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holed Massachusetts Pine Tree shillings are worth silver at melt only, I'll buy them if they are authentic. >:)

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2019 6:32PM

Look at ebay under Sold Items.
    My guess is that the value for a small hole is maybe 50% of the normal value, or melt if that is higher.
    It happens a lot with half dimes used as buttons or jewelry.
    I bought a holed 1838-O half dime on ebay some years ago, and it wasn't cheap.
    It turned out the guy bidding against me was trying to put together a holed set by date / mint mark!

• KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

just send them to @lordmarcovan, he'll know what to do with them.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SaorAlba said:
    Holed Massachusetts Pine Tree shillings are worth silver at melt only, I'll buy them if they are authentic. >:)

So I should drill some holes and send them to you ?......................Just kidding

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

@KindaNewish said:
    just send them to @lordmarcovan, he'll know what to do with them.

Perhaps I will, He's a good guy.

• HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are they modern or ?

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston.... That is a great Pine Tree set.... very impressive. Cheers, RickO

• CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭✭

I'd recommend selling holed coins on Ebay described as such with good images. There seem to be at least a few buyers out there who will pay a premium for coins with holes.

• CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭✭

And ditto on the Mass silver set - neat coins, neat presentation.

@HoledandCreative said:
    Are they modern or ?

No, I've got to get them out , I would say mostly 1800's

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

My rule of thumb is, if I'd be happy to own the coin in problem-free Good, I'd probaby rather have a VF or better details holed example. So your small eagle silver and gold, your 1793 copper, your key dates and R6 varieties in most series, will all have value above melt, perhaps as high as VG value, possibly fine or even VF value for an AU or Unc details coin with a small, neat hole in it.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file