Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I missed this it's interesting - SS Central America Sunken Gold Treasure In Five-Ounce PCGS Holders

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 30, 2019 7:09AM in U.S. Coin Forum

SS Central America Sunken Gold Treasure In Five-Ounce PCGS Holders

The 5 ½ by 9 inches grand format holder housing 5 ounces of California Gold Rush sunken treasure gold dust from the SS Central America is larger than some ingots also recovered from the legendary ship. (Photo courtesy of PCGS.)

Only 88 hand-numbered five-ounce holders have been produced, and each insert label in the 5½ by 9 inches special holder has been personally signed by the esteemed Q. David Bowers, author of two books about the Gold Rush and the SS Central America, and by Bob Evans, the chief scientist on all of the successful Ship of Gold sunken treasure recovery missions in 2014 and the late 1980’s.

full story here from coinnews http://www.coinnews.net/2019/08/30/ss-central-america-sunken-gold-treasure-in-five-ounce-pcgs-holders/

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great story of the shipwreck and recovery....Though I think the premium for the gold is exorbitant. Now, I can see it for some of the coins that have a rarity rating... but generic gold, no. I know, there is a certain amount of intrigue about the history, but for me, gold is gold...For those that like their gold with a story, I can understand the attraction. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw one of the 5 ounce holders at the ANA.

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the story, love the coins, love the gold but absolutely hate the huge premium!

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also saw that NGC was holdering some of the largest nuggets (top 100 or something like that). Those would be neat to own as well.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins or ingots only for me.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2019 11:04AM

@ricko said:
    Great story of the shipwreck and recovery....Though I think the premium for the gold is exorbitant. Now, I can see it for some of the coins that have a rarity rating... but generic gold, no. I know, there is a certain amount of intrigue about the history, but for me, gold is gold...For those that like their gold with a story, I can understand the attraction. Cheers, RickO

I have one with a pinch. I don't know why you would want 5 ounces of it.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a pintch but not a pint

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hate the large $20 slabs that also contain the ‘pinch’ .... really poor design since it’s really all about the $20 and not the pinch.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SeattleSlammer said:
    I hate the large $20 slabs that also contain the ‘pinch’ .... really poor design since it’s really all about the $20 and not the pinch.

Actually, I like those. The are 320s without the pinch. Just a different highly priced souvenir

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file