Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

It takes about 11 pounds of Lincoln Cents to buy lunch.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Figure $20 for an entree, beverage, tax and tip.

Works out to 11 pounds of Lincolns at 2.5 grams each.

Might be time to eliminate the coin. Really wouldn't miss the dime or nickel either from the perspective of commerce.

Comments

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2019 7:14AM

:p I do not like change [the act or instance of making or becoming different]

But I like coins

Keep the Lincoln

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

Mint could still issue a nice shiny proof example each year.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

May as well keep it around until it takes 11 lbs of hundred dollar bills to buy lunch.

It's stupid governmental decisions like keeping the penny causing inflation in the first place.

In 1920's Germany it required a whole wheel barrow full of million Mark notes to buy groceries. Then you could pay off your mortgage with the change.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is about right.... if you go to someplace besides a fast food joint - which is not much less. Had dinner at Red Lobster the other night and the bill was just under $79.00....Nothing extravagant, though it did include dessert. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am cheap. I have never paid more than $15 for a meal.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@golden said:

Must have been one hell of a honeymoon.

;)

It was. She wanted to go to Hawaii and I wanted to go to Niagara Falls. We compromised. We went to both before we went home! I think it was about 14 days.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

To quote Gordon Gecko... Lunch is for wimps

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@golden said:

@Coinstartled said:

@golden said:

;)

It was. She wanted to go to Hawaii and I wanted to go to Niagara Falls. We compromised. We went to both before we went home! I think it was about 14 days.

Did you go together to each destination? >:)

• Options

@topstuf said:

@golden said:

@Coinstartled said:

@golden said:

;)

Did you go together to each destination? >:)

Sure did!

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coin22lover said:
    $20 for lunch? What on Earth are you eating?

Sit down "Fast casual" like Chili's or Panera costs about $20. Of course, one can fill the belly for 3 or 4 pounds of pennies from the value menu at one of the big fast junk chains, or for less than a pound of pennies at the grocery store if you have the desire to cook it yerself. On the other end of the spectrum, often business lunches can run 40 lbs of pennies on up, depending on menu and beverage choices. This can't be news to most of us, even if we ourselves are frugal..

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

I rarely eat breakfast or lunch.
    too busy with life and job
    too cheap I guess

And I would NEVER pay a dollar or more for a 12oz can of soda when I could get a 12 pack on sale for about 12 cents a can.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    too cheap I guess

And I would NEVER pay a dollar or more for a 12oz can of soda when I could get a 12 pack on sale for about 12 cents a can.

Even at a ball game, movie, amusement park, concert?

Life is short, the choice to "do without" on principle in such situations, when thirsty for one, is respected, even if not agreed with..

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2019 10:30AM

I would never pay over $10 for a tub of Popcorn at the movies...been awhile but I bet it's getting closer to $20 now!

@Baley said:

@1630Boston said:
    too cheap I guess

Life is short, the choice to "do without" on principle in such situations, when thirsty for one, is respected, even if not agreed with..

• Options
    edited August 30, 2019 10:46AM

A gallon jug of 'spring?' water can be had for 69 cents and lasts all day.better than $1.5 for a small bottle of Poland Spring.
    I'm not cheap I just don't like wasting money needlessly.............I find other things to waste it on like coins,guns,hobbies,etc.

• Options

@Baley said:

@1630Boston said:

Of course there are exceptions and I would never say no if my wife or son wanted a $5 can of Coke.

• Options
    RWMRWM Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

Focus people. Stay on the question of should we keep the cent, not what we're having for lunch. :)

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lunch is not significant relating to pennies. But pennies are very popular as chips in poker games.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally, I wouldn't mind if they eliminated all money and went digital. I'm serious and not trolling. I rarely use cash because digital is more convenient and I like my cash back CC.

Let the Treasury issue "cash cards" to everyone and let's be done with it. Yes, yes, Big Brother and all. But with cameras on every street corner, it's not hard for them to know what you are doing anyway.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    Personally, I wouldn't mind if they eliminated all money and went digital. I'm serious and not trolling. I rarely use cash because digital is more convenient and I like my cash back CC.

Let the Treasury issue "cash cards" to everyone and let's be done with it. Yes, yes, Big Brother and all. But with cameras on every street corner, it's not hard for them to know what you are doing anyway.

Seems that once a year I am in a store where the terminals are down and it is cash only.

Half the place is dumbfounded as i pull a couple twenties from the wallet.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well think it might only be 5.5 lbs if you go by the melt value of pre 1982 cents... :D

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

Tough on panhandlers, bellmen, waiters, exotic dancers and certain "businesses". (Think taxes as well as privacy.)

• Options

@oldabeintx said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Tough on panhandlers, bellmen, waiters, exotic dancers and certain "businesses". (Think taxes as well as privacy.)

Panhandlers. yes.

The rest could easily be handled by phone transfers mediated by Treasury. [Think Uber writ large!] Although scanning a phone doesn't have quite the same "feel" as putting a dollar in a G-string, I would hardly let strippers dictate the future of commerce.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@oldabeintx said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Panhandlers. yes.

The rest could easily be handled by phone transfers mediated by Treasury. [Think Uber writ large!] Although scanning a phone doesn't have quite the same "feel" as putting a dollar in a G-string, I would hardly let strippers dictate the future of commerce.

A dollar? You must live in the bad side of jersey.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@oldabeintx said:

Panhandlers. yes.

I had to find some use for the Presidential dollars. This seemed appropriate.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@oldabeintx said:

certain "businesses". (Think taxes as well as privacy.)

Panhandlers. yes.

All kidding aside, Starbucks (and others) allow you to tip directly using their phone payment app. There's no reason why you couldn't use your phone or "Treasury Cash Card" to pay an "exotic dancer".

I'm not sure what you do with the homeless. But, again, I wouldn't let them determine the future of commerce. They may have to actually accept food instead of pretending that all the money they collect is for food.

And, frankly, if the net result of going cashless was that panhandlers could no longer panhandle because there was no way to pay them, is that a BAD thing?

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rubios fish taco plate. Not too many foods taste better ... $6.99

I would eat this for dinner and be just fine.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oldabeintx said:

It would be appropriate if we had to rent a congressman with a debit card.

-Will Rogers?

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

So use pre-82 dates cents and it will only be 8.8 pounds. It aint rocket science. Lol

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

@cohodk said:
    So use pre-82 dates cents and it will only be 8.8 pounds. It aint rocket science. Lol

We would had not made it to the moon with your math, Cohodk ;)

Being heavier, the 2000 pre 82 coins would weigh 13.7 pounds.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2019 6:44PM

@Coinstartled said:

@cohodk said:

We would had not made it to the moon with your math, Cohodk ;)

Being heavier, the 2000 pre 82 coins would weigh 13.7 pounds.

You topic is 11 pounds of cents, not 2000 cents. So use the heavier cent and you will need fewer.

Mission control...Lincoln has landed.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file