Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The effort it would take to diminish the value of a Morgan dollar by half.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beyond the stupidity of this thread title lies some truth in coin valuation.

If you had a spiffy 1879-S Dollar in MS67 (worth about $500,) it would take no more than a light fingerprint or a couple minor scuffs to take the coin down to a 66 grade ($190.)

On the other hand, the sturdy 1885-CC dollar in MS64 ($600) would have to be diminished to a Good-scratched/cleaned level to approach the $300 level.

Of course common Morgans at the cull level would be impossible to reduce by half the value unless you sheared them in half as the metal content is then valuation component.

Comments

• Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

yeah

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOLOLOL! CDN did that not too long ago on quite a few!

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2019 5:44AM

Yes

I consider 67 classic coins more of an expensive oddity I really have no interest in. G04 to 66 fills the hole for me. With the CDN bloodbath Classic Dollars have suffered this year a 67 seems like risky investment in my view.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

Original intent of the Sheldon 1-70 grading system was a linear measurement of value.

That concept never worked so well.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The true value of a coin is determined by the amount of cash provided in a transfer of ownership. All other figures are estimates based on market demand and availability. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 1964 Kennedy selling for 156K would fall quite a bit in value if it was run through a rock tumbler.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Original intent of the Sheldon 1-70 grading system was a linear measurement of value.

value or preservation?

Did Sheldon really think a F-12 should cost double a G-6 in all cases?

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Coinstartled said:

value or preservation?

Did Sheldon really think a F-12 should cost double a G-6 in all cases?

I believe that your example is logarithmic not linear. (I could be wrong).

Sheldon's idea was that the 60 grade coin would be worth twice the value of the 30 coin.

I suppose that the condition designations were added lated as they would not be relevant in a value only system.

• Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭

I would have to wonder if the coin had been in a 65 holder that had been submitted so many times that it cought the light just right and got a 67 when a 66 was what they were hoping for, and if it were cracked again would get a 64..?

And you can't tell me this hasn't been tried before...

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file