Home Precious Metals
Options

Another trip to goodwill another nice score

KliaoKliao Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 29, 2019 4:27PM in Precious Metals

Wow my first big piece of silver in a while. Nice weight to0

A little search showed this was hand made by a designer in Greece.

Young Numismatist/collector
75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
instagram.com/klnumismatics

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

$1.99.
    Probably started life on someone's head stone with flowers when it.
    Polishing may reveal the Original owner.

• Options
    edited August 29, 2019 5:10PM

@rte592 said:
    $1.99.

I don’t think on a headstone, it said mostly in weddings from what I found

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Makers mark?

• Options
    edited August 29, 2019 6:00PM

@Hemispherical said:
    Makers mark?

Here’s what I was able to get. Any info would be nice. Thanks!

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any marks like the ones listed here:

https://www.925-1000.com

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Search on Xeipoe ( EPΓXEIPOΣ XEIPOΣ / Greek Arts )

I can't help but wonder if it's electroplated based on the images. If not, it's a hellova score.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with Weiss. The letters after .925 may indicate that it's electroplated with sterling silver. You can test it with a Sigma electronic tester or file a tiny notch in an obscure location and test it with nitric acid. A friendly local jeweler could help you with this. Let us know what you find out.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@Weiss said:

I can't help but wonder if it's electroplated based on the images. If not, it's a hellova score.

@PerryHall said:
    Agree with Weiss. The letters after .925 may indicate that it's electroplated with sterling silver. You can test it with a Sigma electronic tester or file a tiny notch in an obscure location and test it with nitric acid. A friendly local jeweler could help you with this. Let us know what you find out.

Don’t worry I have the nitric acid testing kit and it does test as sterling silver.

• Options

@Kliao said:

@Weiss said:

@PerryHall said:

Don’t worry I have the nitric acid testing kit and it does test as sterling silver.

Did you cut through the surface with a small jeweler's file before applying the nitric acid?

• Options

Yes then scratched it on the scratching stone

• Options

Sounds like a good score! :) What's next? Send it to a refinery?

• Options

I don’t think so. I have yet to find a refinery so either I sell it or let it sit in my bin.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... Nice score... and glad the test validated your expectations.... wish I could find stuff like that around here. Found a couple of salt/pepper shakers... sterling silver encased glass...cannot tell the weight of silver without destruction. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    Wow... Nice score... and glad the test validated your expectations.... wish I could find stuff like that around here. Found a couple of salt/pepper shakers... sterling silver encased glass...cannot tell the weight of silver without destruction. Cheers, RickO

This was found at a goodwill that had nothing for a long time. If the salt and pepper shakers are In Good condition, with no dents or anything they should sell on eBay for above scrap.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome find!

• Options
    sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭

Very nice, That stuff doesn't last on the shelves around here for long. The cake server that I got last week was just put out when I got it.

Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...
  • Options

I don’t know how long the was on the shelf for but it was behind all the glass vases on the top shelf

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went to the local yesterday, and literally the guy that walked in before me went straight to the silverplate (goblets, serving trays, ECT) and started flipping stuff over.
    I saw a guy with a loop looking at the chains and bracelets last week.
    I didn't see any Sterling, but as they say 'you won't unless you try'
    Nice score on the vase kliao

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Weekend flea market finds. The candle sticks were damaged so junked those quickly. Ended up with 1.66ozt asw for $10. The real winner is the Clinton day/date from the 60's. Once cleaned and polished should bring $130, paid $2.

• Options

Wow nice finds!

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

Careful with that nitric acid.

So much for my sugar bowl and tea pot. Seems nobody in the market wants .925, despite the maker's marks. .

• Options

Did you cast them yourself?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like .925... but at thrift store prices...not melt... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    I like .925... but at thrift store prices...not melt... ;) Cheers, RickO

I think Garage sale prices are better

• Options

Yesterday’s score... 8.13 ozt ASW
    $10 junk shop, not goodwill

• Options

Wow that’s a nice find. Other than flatware I don’t find much of the big stuff

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that 55 g. or 174 g.? Either way, nice score!

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@jmski52 said:
    Is that 55 g. or 174 g.? Either way, nice score!

174g. 5.5 Troy oz.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 5, 2019 11:53PM

cool stuff. I found a small plate recently, and don't know much about it. The back says S Kirk & Son Sterling 127. Any idea what it would be worth and if its worth more than scrap?

Also picked up a bowl, almost like a trophy bowl. I think it is silver, but not sure. It just says SMYTH on the bottom and nothing else. It is tarnished and I was able to get some off.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:

@rte592 said:
    $1.99.

I don’t think on a headstone, it said mostly in weddings from what I found

either way you're dead

• Options
    edited September 6, 2019 6:24AM

@orioles93 said:
    cool stuff. I found a small plate recently, and don't know much about it. The back says S Kirk & Son Sterling 127. Any idea what it would be worth and if its worth more than scrap?

Also picked up a bowl, almost like a trophy bowl. I think it is silver, but not sure. It just says SMYTH on the bottom and nothing else. It is tarnished and I was able to get some off.

The sterling bowl could sell for more if there no damage of any sort. I don’t think the SMYTH bowl is not silver.

• Options

@Kliao said:

@orioles93 said:

The sterling bowl could sell for more if there no damage of any sort. I don’t think the SMYTH bowl is not silver.

it has an engraving on the front about a country club golf winner and has some scratches

What I Collect:

• Options

I can’t seem to find any information on that company. If it’s American made nearly all the time it will say sterling if it’s silver

• Options

@orioles93 said:

Post a picture of the Smyth bowl the mark

• Options

Here are pics of the bowl. That mark is the only thing on it. I couldn't find anything on any company named SMYTH with a logo like that. My best guess is the bowl is from somewhere in the 30s-50s.

What I Collect:

• Options

The bowl has rainbow toning in it which is not silver for most of the time. Can you get it tested?

• Options
    edited September 9, 2019 8:06PM

@Kliao said:
    The bowl has rainbow toning in it which is not silver for most of the time. Can you get it tested?

I dont think it is silver either. I got it for next to nothing so i took the chance. I just wasnt sure if anyone ever even saw that mark or heard of the company before.

Heres the plate I got. I know this one is real.

***If anyone has interest in the plate, I am selling. Just pm me.

What I Collect:

• Options
    edited September 6, 2019 1:37PM

Wow that’s a nice plate

• Options
    kwags24kwags24 Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited September 6, 2019 1:28PM

For Kirk look at the stieff company, Smyth is a jeweler. Both in Baltimore, MD