Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Encapsulation?

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I have a crossover submission now in the “encapsulation” stage that has to be a good sign, right??

Comments

• Options
    TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2019 9:29AM

Sort of.

My last submission went to encapsulation for a day or two, then finally to QA, then back to encapsulation.

Next day, it went backwards again to grading, and then flew through with grades posting that evening.

I have a current submission that's following that same pattern. Been to QA once, and back to grading as of this morning.

• Options

BTW, By good sign I mean that the coins crossed, not that they are nearly completed.

• Options
    JGRCJGRC Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

Maybe, the encapsulation stage also includes grade finalization. I have had an order moved back to grading from encapsulation.

• Options

@Boosibri said:
    BTW, By good sign I mean that the coins crossed, not that they are nearly completed.

Good question. Make sure to let us know what happens.

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2019 9:50AM

I had started a post about "encapsulation" earlier this week that dropped like a rock. Glad yours has gotten a little traction.

I have a submission that went to "Encapsulation" status last week Tuesday or Wednesday, the window indicating that "Images Ready" showed up on Thursday, yesterday on Wednesday it moved to Quality Check. I am surprised that it would spend a week in the "Encapsulation" stage.

For those who may not know, the new stages that show in the tracking process are:

1. Arrived: Confirmation of arrival at PCGS headquarters
    2. Received: Order processing and specification
    3. Grading
    4. Encapsulation: Grade finalization and encapsulation
    5. Quality Check: Holder check and label verification
    6. Order Shipped: Outbound order packaging and shipping
    7. Delivered: Delivery confirmed
  • Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

Had the same thought with a crossover 2 weeks ago. In the end for me 1 out of 2 coins crossed so I think at a minimum you know at least one crossed but you don't know more than that at this point.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps it is being encapsulated in "DNC" tape? Yikes!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

Encapsulation: Grade finalization and encapsulation

It does include grade finalization in the step. Could mean they are verifying DNC, and it's just part of the process.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Color me stupid as I don't know how things work...

It seems to me that if a coin is being encapsulated, it had to be broken out of the original capsule right?

I only know of several cases where the original TPGS slab (Service A) was cracked as a crossover at TPGS (B) but upon review the opinion changed at TPGS (B) and the original TPGS (A) was asked as a favor to reholder the coin as received.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am at step 5 of my crossover sub. No info to glean from the snip below. 2 of the 4 are no brainer crosses. One is high probability, and the fourth is a good score if it crosses. Seemed to step thru the process one step at a time with no backtracking.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reminds me of a Rod Stewart song.

Early in the morning I can't sleep.
    I can't work and I can't eat.
    Been checking my PCGS online status all day.
    Maybe economy level was a big mistake.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Means nada. I had a killer 1850 Swiss NGC MS67 1/2 franc that was in "encapsulation" phase. Came back three days later as DNC.

• Options

@coinlieutenant said:
    Means nada. I had a killer 1850 Swiss NGC MS67 1/2 franc that was in "encapsulation" phase. Came back three days later as DNC.

And there it is. Thanks for a concrete example

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

@coinlieutenant said:

And there it is. Thanks for a concrete example

Doesn't mean that it won't cross though!! Fingers crossed for you. They are pretty easy after all on 1964 Kennedy's in M65. grin

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you see it when it was in "crackout" phase? I caught my last submission at that point but it was brief.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

@ms70 said:
    Did you see it when it was in "crackout" phase? I caught my last submission at that point but it was brief.

I don't believe that there is a "crackout" phase based on the steps currently noted. What am I missing?

• Options
    edited September 1, 2019 7:18AM

@Boosibri said:

@ms70 said:

I don't believe that there is a "crackout" phase based on the steps currently noted. What am I missing?

Maybe depending on the type of submission the phases are different. I suppose "crackout" might come later in the sequence if it's a crossover? I have an order in the "pending" phase right now. If i catch it I'll screenshot it.

Edit: I just went and looked at the status bar of my recently completed order and if you hover the cursor over the individual segments it will show you the various phases. Here's what I got:

• Options
  • Options

@Boosibri said:
    WOW

Is your status bar different with your crossover submission?

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:

@Boosibri said:

@ms70 said:

There is, I actually witnessed it! I have an order in the "pending" phase right now. If i catch it I'll screenshot it.

Edit: I just went and looked at the status bar of my recently complete order and if you hover the cursor over the individual segments it will show you the various phases. Here's what I got:

WOW! I'll have to say that is a great system they have in place at PCGS so you can follow your coin. How does it work? Someone MUST need to "input" information before the coin is passed to the next stage! That must slow down the process a lot.

Suggestion to PCGS for the future: Imagine a little sticker you could attach to a flip or slab. Sensors in the ceilings could track them all over the building. Then, a customer (or PCGS staff) could monitor the location and progress of the coins independently by knowing the sticker ID.

Note to everyone. I'll bet that each time YOU bother the TPGS customer service with an inquiry about the status of YOUR submission, YOU slow down EVERYONE'S submission - including yours!

• Options

@ms70 said:

@Boosibri said:
    WOW

Is your status bar different with your crossover submission?

Yes, mine which is a World Express crossover has fewer bars...grading moves to encapsulation to QC

• Options

Well went from grading to encapsulation to quality control and now back to grading.

They can’t reencapsulate and NGC holder so I guess that’s a good thing?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file