Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone know what's going on at Numismatic News?

Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

They don't answer the phone and the email for several on their masthead is no longer valid. I know they were sold but it seemed like the place was still running as usual.

Comments

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

From their web site, https://numismaticnews.net/category/article/news/general , they show new articles / news dated as recently as yesterday. So somebody is working.

• Options

@Kudbegud said:
    From their web site, https://numismaticnews.net/category/article/news/general , they show new articles / news dated as recently as yesterday. So somebody is working.

Bets?

While I'll agree it looks like all is normal, a bunch of names on the masthead can no longer be phoned. Still trying.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe that Active Interest Media has changed some web addresses and other things. I have gotten hard copies of both Numismatic News and World Coin News this week. Two decent quality issues.

It's not easy to tell, but one of the old timers seems to be a guiding hand right now.

• Options

I finally got into the voice mail of the Associate Editor Waiting for return call.

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a good talk with long time friend Tom Michael at the ANA -- business as usual for the on-line and print with many of the workers being re-hired. Of course editor Dave Harper retired and several of the few remaining KP veterans chose to leave as well. It sounded like a fairly optimistic outlook with the new owners -- nothing new on the Penguin/cataloging end but there has been some informal communication.

• Options
    edited August 29, 2019 11:46AM

Thanks!

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2019 12:01PM

Do they have free version / online price guide? I don’t want their paper copy anymore for security reasons.

I like their coin market analysis column and price guide on the dollar market - easy retail price reference.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

Dave Harper retiring was a big event. Guess he could see far enough to hang it up?

• Options

@FullStrike said:
    Dave Harper retiring was a big event. Guess he could see far enough to hang it up?

That was a big event, but Mr. Harper was probably close to age 70 at his departure. He probably stayed longer to keep the ship going.

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

The new ownership is quite a big company. Transition takes some time. They have new email address but are staying in same location

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options

The Active Interest Media Chairman of the Board is named Efrem Zimbalist III. That might ring a bell, of sorts, for the older numismatic crowd.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:
    The Active Interest Media Chairman of the Board is named Efrem Zimbalist III. That might ring a bell, of sorts, for the older numismatic crowd.

Or for fans of the "FBI"......

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thebeav said:

@BillDugan1959 said:

Or for fans of the "FBI"......

…..or "77 Sunset Strip." :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

And Maverick

Efrem Zimbalist Jr. (November 30, 1918 – May 2, 2014) was an American actor known for his starring roles in the television series 77 Sunset Strip and The F.B.I. He is also known as recurring character "Dandy Jim Buckley" in the series Maverick and as the voice behind the character Alfred Pennyworth in Batman: The Animated Series and associated spin-offs.
    Buckley, Dandy Jim
    Professional gambler, confidence man and grafter.[1] Born November 30, 1837, died May 2, 1932.[2]

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is always some gaps or hiccups in major transfers of an organization....I have been through a couple, and even those that go well, there are a few issues....It will smooth out shortly. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everybody has new email addresses - NN doesn't own the domain their email used to come from...
    Everybody has new phone #s.

The August 20th issue of NNExpress has many of the new address/phone#s listed in the masthead.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/media2.fwpublications.com/NMN/NNExpress/NNExpress082019e.pdf

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

There were changes that came.......I miss numi news. Helped me build a business. After re-striking out on my own I "advertised" in the free classified ad section. The papers I forgot to place an ad in I saved and eventually I had a stack of classified ad forms just in time when numi news allowed "advertisers" to extend their "free" classifieds to a month long for only 5 bucks. I had ads running in the usual places and will always be grateful to Dave Harper and others at Numi News for building such a great paper and creating ways for the little guy to get ahead. Strange that there were only a few regulars who changed there ads etc. It was sure helpful to me.

• Options

@BStrauss3 said:
    Everybody has new email addresses - NN doesn't own the domain their email used to come from...

The August 20th issue of NNExpress has many of the new address/phone#s listed in the masthead.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/media2.fwpublications.com/NMN/NNExpress/NNExpress082019e.pdf

Thanks, that's the one in the print issue also. I noticed that the "important folks" (the editor, etc.) at the top don't have an email address yet.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrearlygold said:
    There were changes that came.......I miss numi news. Helped me build a business. After re-striking out on my own I "advertised" in the free classified ad section. The papers I forgot to place an ad in I saved and eventually I had a stack of classified ad forms just in time when numi news allowed "advertisers" to extend their "free" classifieds to a month long for only 5 bucks. I had ads running in the usual places and will always be grateful to Dave Harper and others at Numi News for building such a great paper and creating ways for the little guy to get ahead. Strange that there were only a few regulars who changed there ads etc. It was sure helpful to me.

Free ads were very effective in NN. It was the timeliest of all the coin papers and had most of the best writers. Their ONLY fault was their editorial policy on their price guides and they tried to do the right thing with them as well.

There were a lot of traders in the classified section. It was always fun to read NN.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@BStrauss3 said:

Thanks, that's the one in the print issue also. I noticed that the "important folks" (the editor, etc.) at the top don't have an email address yet.

The blurb gave addresses for Corinne Zielke (Publisher, CZielke@aimmedia.com) and Associate Editor Hannah Wiedmeyer (hweidmeyer@aimmedia.com) - that should be enough to guess at the address for anybody else.

If it's a common name, jdoe@aimmedia.com, put a sentence at the top - "I'm trying to reach m. Doe at numismatic news, if this is the wrong address, I'd appreciate it if you could forward it. Thanks"

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options

THANKS!

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2019 6:13PM

About 18 months ago I tried to renew my subscription to both Numismatic News
    and World Coin News. Sent them a check for two years worth each. After 6 issues
    of NN and 2 issues of WCN they stopped coming. Called and Emailed got no response.
    In the mean time they go bankrupt. I'm sure they are enjoying drinks with fruit and tiny
    umbrellas poolside in the Caribbean on the unused portion, :D:D

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrearlygold said:

The free ads were great.
    I got great responses from some of them.
    It was much more fun going to the PO Box to get see how many orders I had than seeing a notification from eBay.

• Options

That's unfortunate for you @Tibor, but I have sent nothing since my regular annual renewals in November 2018 and never missed an issue of either NN or WCN. I have now maybe three NN issues under new ownership and two issues of WCN under new ownership. Issues are still coming under the same subscription money as before.

I believe I just re-upped on WCN and expect to do so for NN very soon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file