Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Autographs are ruining the card hobby

Autographs are ruining the hobby. You can't just get your favorite player's RC, it has to be autographed to matter. A lot of kids are turned off because they can't get the high end cards, and to make matters worse, the players sign so much, they don't even sign their full name anymore, it's usually just initials. So it's all really about collecting initials nowadays. Doesn't make sense to me...
Thoughts?

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"

Comments

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't collect modern cards so I don't really have a stake in the game. But a few thoughts come to mind...

• There is an ever-increasing gap between athletes and the public. Getting a card signed at a game or some other event is becoming more and more rare. Auto cards offer something to a kid/collector that they might not be able to get otherwise.
    • Pricing can be a tough deal. However, I fall back to the old adage of collecting what you like. There are plenty of very attractive cards out there that won't necessarily break the bank. In fact, if all cards were valued equally, I'd bet some of the low-end issues would be just as attractive as the high-end ones.
    • I think these days your lucky if you get two recognizable initials out of a signature, but that seems to be the way the whole country is going. Do they even teach handwriting in school anymore?
    Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

I don’t collect autos unless it’s in person (and with my kids). That way, it cements a memory and I know it’s authentic. Buying on eBay or ripping pack after pack chasing one does neither of those things, at least for me.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect non auto rookies, and I think there are still plenty of people who do. I enjoy collecting the base rookies and picking up the color/numbered parallels when I find them. I think there’s still a lot of demand for non auto rookies.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭

A player's "true" RC should be a non auto card that a 12 year old can realistically pull out of a pack.

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like certified autographed cards. It seems to add an edge of reality to the card for me. I much prefer on card autos as opposed to the stickers they use on most auto cards. Something about the player holding the card at one point adds to the excitement. I do add that I agree with others, it seems the autographs are getting sloppy and I do not like the initials, unless that is how the player actually signs his/her name. The field is getting watered down by autographs though. At one time it seemed like a big hit when you got an autograph. Now there are so many players autographs out there most of the time you are getting an auto of a player you have never heard of. I do not care for that.

• Options
    Air23GOATAir23GOAT Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

They stopped teaching cursive in school. What will the future look like?

I'm all about that Jordan stuff. Cards, stickers, posters & whatever else is cool. The rarer the better. And always in a PSA 10 if I can help it.
    Any other big Jordan nuts out there let me know.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dan, your cards made my jaw hit the floor!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally, I don't like modern auto cards. The signatures are pitiful. Then there's the overkill of numerous auto cards of the same player whether they are serial numbered or not (I won't even get into the color schemes). The sole exception are the modern auto cards signed by the old time players (Al Kaline, Brooks Robinson, Hank Aaron, etc.).

• Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

I do collect Yankee Autos. I want to try and get at least one autograph of every player that has one on card and certified. I do not care if it is a 1/1 or 1/10 as long as the card looks nice. I do have a few auto that I got in person from shows and I have to admit while it is cool to meet the player I am always worried that if he is having a bad day and is a bit of a Jerk I will not like them anymore. I met Gaylord Perry at a show (free autograph with paid admission to the New York White Plains show years ago) and he was kinda a d@#K. He did not even look up and he flipped the card back onto the table through the air. I cannot complain too much because it was free and he is a HOFer but still it stood out in my mind.

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options

Oh snap! ThunderDan I really love that Earl Campbell rc auto. He's one of my favorite all-time running backs. He was a beast. Great snag.

I'm all about that Jordan stuff. Cards, stickers, posters & whatever else is cool. The rarer the better. And always in a PSA 10 if I can help it.

• Options
    spanky74spanky74 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭

Dan just dropped the mic. Some absolute stunners

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thunderdan - let me say that I LOVE that you get really nice looking cards signed. I always appreciate a signed card, but I am always a little bit sad when the cards are really banged up. Your stuff looks fantastic!

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

Thunderdan, as everyone has already said those are some insane cards you own. Amazing to me that they went through a signature process with an athlete and you got those grades. The Winfield and Mattingly cards are incredible.

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

Thanks guys, much appreciated. The process is challenging (but gratifying) for sure.

• Options

I have to say I disagree that autos are ruining the hobby. I think since they came out in the late 90's it has really helped draw more collectors & evolve the hobby.
    Having said that I think they've gone a bit overboard with it but you take the good with the bad.

Now I think I'm going to sit here & watch Tommy Lasorda curb stomp that mascot for 10 more minutes & then go about my night.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spanky74 said:
    Dan just dropped the mic. Some absolute stunners

Also- As yahoo used to say all the time...... Dan, your cards broke the internet.
    Now they say, your cards will make people skip lunch. Me, I love your cards but did not skip lunch.

In summary, your cards are amazing. Yahoo is really dumb.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

Penmanship is a lost art today. Griffey auto. is one of the best out there. Readable and style.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    45isodd45isodd Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

Vintage Mantle autograph on a card that sold last night in the Mile High auction.