Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Wanna See Plastic Worth its Weight in Moon Rocks?

Comments

• Options
    LuxorLuxor Posts: 410 ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually remember getting coins back in these holders and cracking them out......who knew?

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

With China making fake slabs for fake coins, makes you wonder how long it will be until a few of these are faked with real coins in them.

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whatever happened to buy the coin?

Trade $'s
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TennesseeDave said:
    Whatever happened to buy the coin?

That went away with the slab being rarer than the coin.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like old slabs but I'm not that crazy over them.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a fan !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not for me... I have not developed an interest in slab varieties.... just coins. I suppose if I were a dealer - or just looking to flip things - I would look for these too. I have enough hobbies and pursuits to keep me very busy...so I will stick with coins...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also like the old slabs from a historical perspective, but don't feel I need to invest crazy money to own one. Photos will do just fine for me.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

If that slab actually had a moon rock in it, I would pay moon money for it. Otherwise it's not for me. I do like the black color though. I wonder why they changed to white?

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

New to the Census. This one would make 37 known.

The change to white was due to copper coins and some toned silver appearing 'lost' in the field of black. Bright silver and gold looked super . . . . but NGC did not like the look of a BN Large Cent in this holder. Other non-apparent at initial concept problems included the Obverse and Reverse orientation and the coin grade being on the wrong side.

The NGC Black is history symbolized. I lucked out and got mine on a BIN that got accepted and promptly got an offer that night of $2500 more than I paid from a seller here on the BST. I started to make a big deal about these early NGC slabs nearly a decade ago . . . got a PM from an old hand here that he knew (?) of a full box each of Blacks, 2.1s, and 2.0s. We've waited and waited . . . :-) nothing has ever surfaced.

The Blacks are now stabilizing right around the $3500-$4000 range with a common coin in them . . . add commensurate for gold or a better date or Type. I would expect this to go for around $4000. Tempting . . . but not sure I wanna drop that amount of coin just to go to a grand total of 2.

Drunner

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DRUNNER said:
    New to the Census. This one would make 37 known.

The change to white was due to copper coins and some toned silver appearing 'lost' in the field of black. Bright silver and gold looked super . . . . but NGC did not like the look of a BN Large Cent in this holder. Other non-apparent at initial concept problems included the Obverse and Reverse orientation and the coin grade being on the wrong side.

The NGC Black is history symbolized. I lucked out and got mine on a BIN that got accepted and promptly got an offer that night of $2500 more than I paid from a seller here on the BST. I started to make a big deal about these early NGC slabs nearly a decade ago . . . got a PM from an old hand here that he knew (?) of a full box each of Blacks, 2.1s, and 2.0s. We've waited and waited . . . :-) nothing has ever surfaced.

The Blacks are now stabilizing right around the $3500-$4000 range with a common coin in them . . . add commensurate for gold or a better date or Type. I would expect this to go for around $4000. Tempting . . . but not sure I wanna drop that amount of coin just to go to a grand total of 2.

Drunner

It sold for $3960. You were right on the mark. A very high premium for a common date. Definitely stands out with the previous Heritage history averaging at about $60 for similar grade coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file