Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin License Plates

SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are three (possibly) coin-related license plates I've seen in Illinois in the last couple years:

Yesterday, driving on I-55:

Can't escape eBay:

Someone likes their metal a bit too much (I'm assuming they're referring to silver and not the Attorney General):

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection

Comments

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good topic! ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK, I give up. What is numismatic about "LOOK B/K"?

Sexy AG, well let's not get political on this one...LOL

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a good thing to advertise.

A Better license plate would be: FOLLOWMEHOMESTEALMYCOINS

But this one is cool ....

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure that IL one doesn't mean "sexy arse gramma".

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@7Jaguars said:

eBay listing are notorious for saying "LQQK" in their captions. If you've avoided this so far, you aren't missing anything.

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

@7Jaguars said:

Sexy AG, well let's not get political on this one...LOL

Ebay at one time then it stopped

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2019 5:09PM

Saw this on the Ohio Turnpike on our way to our vacation home in NC in 2006. (now permanent)

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw one in California years ago "OLDCOIN". Why anyone would advertise to have someone follow them home and rob them is beyond me.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Funny, I like it !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options

between a 10 and a 15

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the early 1980's I saw a corvette in the parking lot outside a coin show with "AU 65" on the license plate. Also, in a grocery store parking lot in the early 1980's I saw a license plate on a large late model Cadillac with "MR 69". Maybe he collected high grade modern coins.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    edited August 28, 2019 4:45AM

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    you guys realize that most of these only reflect how YOU think and not necessarily how the drivers of those cars think, right??

The driver's think what we think. They just might not know it yet. Viva Numismatics!!! :D

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    you guys realize that most of these only reflect how YOU think and not necessarily how the drivers of those cars think, right??

Agree for the most part, but hard to interpret that "DMPL 70" any other way... (I don't think it's a reference to the Des Moines Public Library... :))

SexyAG is almost certainly a cougar... :D

• Options
    edited August 28, 2019 5:04AM

The numbers on this plate comes back to:

CERT VERIFICATION #16687676
    According to the PCGS Certification Database, the requested certification number is defined as the following:

PCGS Coin Information
    PCGS # 417265 (Variety of: 417264)
    Date, mintmark 2010-S
    Denomination $1
    Variety James Buchanan First Strike
    Region The United States of America
    Grade PR69DCAM
    Holder Type Standard
    Population 6,652 (Total: 6,652)
    Pop Higher 767 (Total: 767)
    PCGS Price GuideSM Value: $18

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

@keets said:

Agree for the most part, but hard to interpret that "DMPL 70" any other way... (I don't think it's a reference to the Des Moines Public Library... :))

SexyAG is almost certainly a cougar... :D

Actually I think @keets is correct, especially regarding the Illinois plate, see below, DMPL is Del Monte Pacific Ltd. (DMPL) and they are closing a plant in Illinois.

17:22 / 22.08.2019
    INQUIRER
    DMPL closing 4 of 10 plants in US

Campos family-led food and beverage conglomerate Del Monte Pacific Ltd. (DMPL) is set to give up four of its 10 factories in the United States as part of the streamlining strategy amid a challenging US business.

Citing a shift to an “asset-light” strategy, DMPL disclosed to the Philippine Stock Exchange on Thursday the closure of its production facilities in Sleepy Eye, Minnesota and Mendota, Illinois at the end of the current pack season.

Del Monte’s Cambria, Wisconsin facility will be sold as an operating plant after completion of the pack season. It will also sell manufacturing assets at its Crystal City, Texas facility and intends to transfer production at this site to other location later this year.

The closures are seen to enable Del Monte to fully utilize the capacity of other existing production facilities and increase its focus on branded growth and innovation.

“This restructuring is a necessary step for us to remain competitive in a rapidly changing marketplace. Our asset-light strategy will lead to more efficient and lower cost operations,” said Joselito Campos Jr., DMPL managing director and CEO.

“We are committed to doing all we can to provide the affected employees with resources and support.”

After the announced closure and divestment, DMPL’s US subsidiary will still operate six plants in the United States and two in Mexico. Its Philippine subsidiary, on the other hand, operates the world’s largest fully integrated pineapple operation with its 26,000-hectare pineapple plantation in the country and a factory. It also operates a beverage bottling plant and a frozen fruit processing facility in the Philippines.

more here https://theworldnews.net/ph-news/dmpl-closing-4-of-10-plants-in-us

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Attempting to interpret license plates can be fun.... however, as @keets said, what we see may not be what the owner was thinking....Some completely stump me....must be initials or some personal message... Others are fairly obvious...I was thinking of CCAU at one time... but never followed through.... guess I am not vain enough for vanity plates... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

guess I am not vain enough for vanity plates

this is how I have always thought until I bought my latest car, a 2009 Ford Flex. I know I have a picture somewhere of my plates that I can't locate, in the absence of that you can see the Flex in the driveway. the plate number: SLAMWGN. my step-son said it in a comment when he first saw the car, "That thing looks like a slam-wagon!!" and we all laughed so I got the plate.

I have seen people on the freeway in my rearview mirror come up closer to read it and then back away!!! :p

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    .... guess I am not vain enough for vanity plates.

Realistically, vanity plates are OPSEC no-nos. While many are more subtle than "I HAV GOLD", or have meaning only an insider would know, a random, generic plate is still best in this case. Dutch plates are really good in this respect. There is nothing to indicate where you live, nothing that resembles a word, and no real pattern to the mixes of letters and numbers.

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

My neighbor's garage.

...nothing like having a real earner as a wife!...my wife is a baller...her envelopes are way fatter than mine...I love it ;)

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

IHAVGUN

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

IDO2

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

My plate once was AUANDAG until I had a bunch of HS kids pull along side at a light and ask how much gold and silver I had with me.......plate got replaced asap.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2019 2:16PM

@AUandAG said:
    My plate once was AUANDAG until I had a bunch of HS kids pull along side at a light and ask how much gold and silver I had with me.......plate got replaced asap.

Lot's, come over here and try to take it. >:)

PS I'm surprised any kid under 50 even knows what Au means.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:

Did you change it to 79AND47?

:)

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've come close to getting 69SDDO a couple of times, but never pulled the trigger.

Not many people would know what it is if I'm driving around town, but parked at a coin show...

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@AUandAG said:

Lot's, come over here and try to take it. >:)

PS I'm surprised any kid under 50 even knows what Au means.

I was more than surprised, for sure. They did not look the type to know the periodic table.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:

Wow, I was always thinking your username was a reference to grades, not metals.

--

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aegis3 said:

@AUandAG said:

Wow, I was always thinking your username was a reference to grades, not metals.

So did I. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2019 8:09AM

:#@MrEureka and 20 other dealers who've seen his photos will confirm the identity of NJ coin doctor conservationist /Corvette aficionado with the accurately descriptive plate AT 67. >:)

You've got to hand-pick a lot of teensy spots off a lot of cherry Lincolns to pay for thirteen coats of candy-apple red on a 67 Vette. ;)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options

@ColonelJessup said:
    :#@MrEureka and 20 other dealers who've seen his photos will confirm the identity of NJ coin doctor conservationist /Corvette aficionado with the accurately descriptive plate AT 67. >:)

You've got to hand-pick a lot of teensy spots off a lot of cherry Lincolns to pay for thirteen coats of candy-apple red on a 67 Vette. ;)

Anyone who knows how to do that (I believe you) should be driving a red Ferrari or any of the other dozen cars at his mansion! I wonder if I've been able to detect his work.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn’t get a coin plate for security reasons, but I do have an aviation themes custom plate that makes me smile. I’ve seen pictures of it pop up in Facebook a few times, taken by other aviators stuck in traffic. Once I saw the picture being taken and waited for it show up. As soon as it did, I asked the poster how he liked his blue Tesla and he was beyond confused how I knew what he drove.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

She is a beautiful vette.

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Mad One had MR. AU-58, not sure if he still does.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2019 3:40PM

Someone seeing your plate might think you mispelled it? It should have been "VIN WORLD", meaning, Vin Diesel. :D

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve been thinking about getting MS65FBL for a couple of years now.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2019 8:23AM

I used to have a neighbor who had AG HEMI on his C300.......

But he's a chemist and the car is silver......

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:

The numbers on this plate comes back to:

CERT VERIFICATION #16687676
    According to the PCGS Certification Database, the requested certification number is defined as the following:

PCGS Coin Information
    PCGS # 417265 (Variety of: 417264)
    Date, mintmark 2010-S
    Denomination $1
    Variety James Buchanan First Strike
    Region The United States of America
    Grade PR69DCAM
    Holder Type Standard
    Population 6,652 (Total: 6,652)
    Pop Higher 767 (Total: 767)
    PCGS Price GuideSM Value: $18

Why would anyone in their right mind advertise to the world that they own PCGS Registry coins.
    Beyond stupid 🤪

• Options
    jrt103jrt103 Posts: 419 ✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

My neighbor's garage.

why does your neighbor require 4 layers of flooring in the garage?

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

Caution-old thread.
    Are you absolutely certain it is Proof Like?

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen several not coin related.

UOY KCUF ........ saw this one in my rear view mirror.

WE 69 ...................... I don't think they were talking about their grading!

MMWMMWW ............I don't even know if this correct (which is the intent) just a bunch of W's & M's. Very if not impossible for Police to read.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file