Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Low Life’s

I am really bummed out in what has happened to me with 2 sets I purchased in the past, 1968 and 69 Topps. I purchased these sets from a widow who was selling her husbands collection on eBay.Recently I have decided to sell any of my 60 sets.The 68s had 9 of the major cards in PCG holders and not being familiar with them bought the set.The 69 set had most of the high dollar cards on scans, looked good to me plus it had both Mantle versions.
As I am always tied up for time I really do not go through my sets thoroughly when I get them.
When I decided to sell my 60 sets I looked them over very close. The PGC graded cards I broke out of the holder after a heard about their reputation and low and behold every card was a counterfeit.
Before I sold the 68 I sold the 69 and the star cards in the plastic holders were counterfeits including the Mantles and a few other major star cards.
I called EBay however they were no help telling me they do not have records that far back..........BS.
I went on eBay soon after and searched for reprint cards and there I found a seller who was selling cards of the 50s ,60s and 70s .This seller stated on eBay that there were copies that she makes however no where on the card does it indicate reprint.She was selling them at a $1 or 2 and was selling a load of them.
I then called Topps and reported this seller and explained to them what happened to me.I asked them if this was not a copyright infringement and she said YES.She said she was going to talk to Topps officials about this.Guess what? This seller is no longer on eBay.MY WORDS ARE BE CAREFUL.I only wish Topps could have given me about $2000 for my losses LOL 🤑🤑🤑🤑😰

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)

Comments

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog ... Let's not kick a guy when he is already down. And it's likely that not everyone knows about the proliferation of counterfeit cards that are not just '63 Rose, '86 Jordan, '65 Namath, '52 Mantle, etc.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I am shocked that anyone who has been around as long as you would even consider anything affiliated with PGC. Sorry you got scammed but honestly you should know better

I have been a long time hobbyist but never knew anything about this company as the only ones I ever used was PSA and SGC
    PERIOD.never knew anything about them idiots.There is another seller on ebay and a reported them today.I could be the some person who Topps kicked out under a different name.
    Go to reprint cards on your ebay search and you might be shocked at what they sell.> @perkdog said:

I am shocked that anyone who has been around as long as you would even consider anything affiliated with PGC. Sorry you got scammed but honestly you should know better

@perkdog said:

Look I am just trying to do a service that will benefits all buyers of raw cards.
    Seriously if you get a kick of slamming people that are trying to help others ENJOY YOUR FUN >:) I was in this hobby before most of you were born.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

The widow/son of collector stories always seem fishy to me. Adding that detail only gives them the “i didn’t know” excuse.

I don’t see how being a widow would make a difference in the prices sold.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I got burned by another board member last year and it does blow.

Mike
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebay is infested with counterfeit and reprint cards. In my opinion, it's worse than it ever was for a number of reasons.

My viewpoint on a key card is that if it's not PSA graded on Ebay, or raw in hand where I can inspect it, then I don't buy it. Period.

If you're not 100% sure what you are doing as far as being able to discern in hand a counterfeit or reprint versus a genuine card, then you had better stick to PSA graded in all cases.

• Options

@fiveniner said:
    I am really bummed out in what has happened to me with 2 sets I purchased in the past, 1968 and 69 Topps. I purchased these sets from a widow who was selling her husbands collection on eBay.Recently I have decided to sell any of my 60 sets.The 68s had 9 of the major cards in PCG holders and not being familiar with them bought the set.The 69 set had most of the high dollar cards on scans, looked good to me plus it had both Mantle versions.
    As I am always tied up for time I really do not go through my sets thoroughly when I get them.
    When I decided to sell my 60 sets I looked them over very close. The PGC graded cards I broke out of the holder after a heard about their reputation and low and behold every card was a counterfeit.
    Before I sold the 68 I sold the 69 and the star cards in the plastic holders were counterfeits including the Mantles and a few other major star cards.
    I called EBay however they were no help telling me they do not have records that far back..........BS.
    I went on eBay soon after and searched for reprint cards and there I found a seller who was selling cards of the 50s ,60s and 70s .This seller stated on eBay that there were copies that she makes however no where on the card does it indicate reprint.She was selling them at a $1 or 2 and was selling a load of them.
    I then called Topps and reported this seller and explained to them what happened to me.I asked them if this was not a copyright infringement and she said YES.She said she was going to talk to Topps officials about this.Guess what? This seller is no longer on eBay.MY WORDS ARE BE CAREFUL.I only wish Topps could have given me about $2000 for my losses LOL 🤑🤑🤑🤑😰

There is still a remedy thru small claims court.

There are plenty of website articles out there on the internet as to how to proceed with small claims.

i'll offer one old trick that works pretty well and won't cost you a dime. Contact the local small claims court in the seller's jurisdiction. Ask the court to send you the paperwork to pursue a small claims court case. Fill out the paperwork and send a copy of it to the seller telling him that if he does not refund your payment, that you will file suit against him in small claims court.

You could actually proceed with this in court, again, read the website info about the costs and procedures. Also court clerks are often very helpful with answering questions. However usually this isn't even necessary after the seller receives the paperwork copies. Just the threat of legal action often "convinces" the seller to make good on your money. Criminals hate going to court.

Good luck!

• Options

@Nathaniel1960 said:

@ndleo said:
    The widow/son of collector stories always seem fishy to me. Adding that detail only gives them the “i didn’t know” excuse.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I got burned by another board member last year and it does blow.

Yes! If the description of the item includes references to seller financial hard ship, health issues, military service, college funds, widows or late husbands, you are asking for trouble.

Yep, these are all old tricks of course. But there's always a new generation of people growing up who aren't familiar with the old scams, and sadly too often the old scamming tricks still consistently fool a lot of innocent people.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see a lot of estate finds also. I stay away from estate finds. Also check feedback thoroughly, because sometimes you'll see negative feedback from someone who has already been scammed by the fraudster, and they'll leave negative feedback about reprints and fakes.

• Options
    MoonmanMoonman Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

Lets not forget the "estate sales" where someone has a bunch of old cards and the have no idea what they are and so on..... Then you look into it and its a bunch of boxes full of 90's cards. Scams all over

• Options

The Feds just busted a bunch of people still running the Nigerian Prince scheme. They still make millions from that old scam. I’m still shocked how many people fall for that.

Mike
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry this happened.
    Small claims court is one thing.

getting the people to pay a judgement is another.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

Card companies are doing a poor job of policing ebay as this kind of practice is still going on.The one I reprted a few months back got kicked off and I think she is back on with a different name.

• Options

@jay0791 said:
    Sorry this happened.
    Small claims court is one thing.

getting the people to pay a judgement is another.

That's where the additional research comes in.

In general, if the seller is a homeowner, the chances of success are very good. If the seller lives in an apartment or rental house, the chances are not very good.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Moonman said:
    Lets not forget the "estate sales" where someone has a bunch of old cards and the have no idea what they are and so on..... Then you look into it and its a bunch of boxes full of 90's cards. Scams all over

Yep. If someone says they found a bunch of tobacco cards with rare backs at an estate but they know nothing about them, run!

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

In general, if the seller is a homeowner, the chances of success are very good. If the seller lives in an apartment or rental house, the chances are not very good.

Apartments in large cities often sell for millions of dollars and are bought not rented.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2019 5:01PM

@fiveniner said:

@perkdog said:

I have been a long time hobbyist but never knew anything about this company as the only ones I ever used was PSA and SGC
    PERIOD.never knew anything about them idiots.There is another seller on ebay and a reported them today.I could be the some person who Topps kicked out under a different name.
    Go to reprint cards on your ebay search and you might be shocked at what they sell.> @perkdog said:

@perkdog said:

Look I am just trying to do a service that will benefits all buyers of raw cards.
    Seriously if you get a kick of slamming people that are trying to help others ENJOY YOUR FUN >:) I was in this hobby before most of you were born.

I don’t remember putting a laughing emoji in my post so not sure why you would think I am getting a kick out of your misfortune. I was honestly shocked that you would have ever considered giving that grading company a chance to begin with let alone not doing a wellness check on the cards once they were in hand, like I said you have been around for years and I figured someone like yourself wouldn’t gamble like that. Either way I apologize, I certainly don’t get enjoyment out of reading about people getting scammed by these scumbags that are destroying our hobby. Again my apologies and wish you the best of luck 🍻

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Geez Tony - sorry to hear this.

How long ago was this?

Mike
  • Options

@brad31 said:

Apartments in large cities often sell for millions of dollars and are bought not rented.

Well again, that's where the research comes in.

But I doubt if anyone such as who you mentioned is going to scam anyone for 2k, but ya never know for sure.

The whole key to a successful claims court collection is determining whether or not you are likely to collect on a judgement.

The buyer has the sellers name and address. There's a lot of info out there on Google these days. Google everything you can about the seller and determine whether or not the sheriff can find the guy to collect the judgement. Unfortunately, sheriffs usually don't put any extra effort into collecting small claims judgements.

• Options

I agree with Steve. I live in a big city and the people that live in million dollar apartments would be doing bigger scams that reprint fake cards.......they would at least have a web business that auctions trimmed and restored cards that somehow get by TPGs.

Players only.

Mike
  • Options

Speaking of big cities, going thru small claims court in big cities for a non-lawyer, can be an exercise in futility. Too long of a story to explain why.

Suffice to say that if the seller is located in a suburban or rural area, small claim courts are usually very accommodating to a "Do it yourself" plaintiff. While in big cities, it's a nightmare.

That's been my experience anyway.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@fiveniner said:

@perkdog said:

@perkdog said:

I don’t remember putting a laughing emoji in my post so not sure why you would think I am getting a kick out of your misfortune. I was honestly shocked that you would have ever considered giving that grading company a chance to begin with let alone not doing a wellness check on the cards once they were in hand, like I said you have been around for years and I figured someone like yourself wouldn’t gamble like that. Either way I apologize, I certainly don’t get enjoyment out of reading about people getting scammed by these scumbags that are destroying our hobby. Again my apologies and wish you the best of luck 🍻

@perkdog said:

@fiveniner said:

@perkdog said:

@perkdog said:

Dont worry about it,yes you are right I should have checked them then when I got them unfortunately at the time I was recuperating from major back surgery had a full fusion on my back it’s basically full of metal now .I couldn’t lift anything more than a $50 bill LOL.I getting much better but will never be able to do heavy lifting or have full flexibility with my back but at least I am above ground.

No apologies needed I know you are a good person.
    Tony

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the kind words Tony. Again best of luck 🍻

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

@Nathaniel1960 said:

@ndleo said:

Yes! If the description of the item includes references to seller financial hard ship, health issues, military service, college funds, widows or late husbands, you are asking for trouble.

Don't forget the ever popular God Bless!

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

Didn't we have a "widow" on here doing kind of the same thing? I believe it was Betty or something like that.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

@steel75 said:
    Didn't we have a "widow" on here doing kind of the same thing? I believe it was Betty or something like that.

Jenny with the unopened material...

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.