Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Who's got all 28 of the Reverse Proof coins?

rip_frip_f Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

The upcoming palladium coin ( 19EK) makes it a total of 28 unique Reverse Proof coins issued since 2006.

We've had 5 ASEs, 5 presidential dollars, a 1oz gold eagle, a half oz platinum eagle, a 1oz Buffalo, a Kennedy half, an FDR dime, the silver proof set of 10 “circulating” coins, a W Lincoln penny, the intro-innovation dollar, and now a 1oz palladium eagle.

More and more of us collectors are putting together subsets of the reverse proof coins. Some are mostly interested in the eleven individual precious metal offerings so far. Some are opting for just the seven individually offered base metal coins. And many collectors are “completists” - and want to include last year's ten-coin reverse proof set for a complete set of 28 unique reverse proof coins so far.

It looks like the 57 coin Innovation Dollar series will have a reverse proof example of each coin. That will become a popular subset in itself, I imagine.

IMO, the ones minted from noble metals have more eye appeal (except for the Buff.) than the 10 from base metals. My favorite and most well done so far is the Kennedy. The presidential dollars are hard to look at.
It's yet to be seen (pun intended) whether the Innovation Dollars will be better. There's sure plenty of room for the date and mm on the obverse!

Comments

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

No body the Palladium Reverse Proof coin hasn't been released yet

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rip_f ....Welcome aboard.... I have not considered (or even thought of) such a set... though I do have a couple of the reverse proofs...I am not doing sets anymore...now I just get coins that I find exceptionally appealing or interesting. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the CU forums @rip_f.

Have not checked the registry but it does sound interesting for any RP collectors.

• Options

@ricko said:
    I have not considered (or even thought of) such a set... though I do have a couple of the reverse proofs...

That's how I started the process. I realized a couple years ago that I had most of the early ones from the Mint and that they displayed nicely as a group. Found that several others in my coin club were doing the same. Helped each other with the ones that sold out quickly. An enjoyable pursuit.

• Options
    NSPNSP Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s a very cool set! Which is your favorite/which do you think looks the best?

• Options

The Enhanced reverse Proof ASE that was just issued in the Pride of Two Nations Set is by far nicest looking ASE ever produced.
    The Kennedy half is one my favorites. - (Not the "there's a spider on my sleeve" presidential dollar version.)

• Options
    NSPNSP Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 2019 ASE definitely seems to be a nice one. Do you have a 2019 reverse proof Kennedy in your collection? It’s officially called an “enhanced reverse proof,” but I don’t see it in your picture. I have that one, and it is really nice looking Kennedy.

• Options

Thanks for the reminder, NSP.
    I did get a few of those, but it slipped my mind when I was putting the picture together.
    I wasn't sure at the time that I would consider an ERP to fit in a set of RPs. ERPs may become a new subset, but until then, I'm including them with the RPs.
    So the Palladium will in fact be number 29.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rip_f said:
    Here's a pic of all 27 so far (and a couple duplicates)
    Looking forward to adding the Reverse Proof Palladium coin next week!

I like this concept a lot!

• Options
    SeatedTonersSeatedToners Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

Really good idea for a set. That’d be awesome if there was a black capital holder to hold all of them.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do! I think it's a great set. I had them all except the gold Eagle until a couple years ago. Yes, the Palladium will be the king in this grouping! I do think the mint will be doing more ERP's now they've got the technology in place.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file