Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is this monster peace $ worth the price?

It has nice bullseye toning and a red field holder but I feel $6500 is moon money for this coin... Am I mistaken?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1922-D-S-1-NGC-MS-62-Redfeild-Collection-Monster-Toned-Peace-Dollar/202762949080?hash=item2f359d11d8:g:M0QAAOSwUfBdYALZ

Comments

• georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

ED to me

• PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 880 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t know what the Redfield holder does for the value (is it super rare?) but the coin itself is not for me at all. This whole any color on a peace dollar is good color because it’s sooooo rare trend makes me scratch my head. But people can buy what they like. I’d rather buy a nice XF bust $5 for the same cost but hey if you’d prefer a 95 year old common date dollar that’s rough on the eyes have at it!

• BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

Only to an insane person.

TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t know when the coin was graded but I find it interesting that it doesn’t have a star.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

Montrous might be a better description. If the photos are accurate, I would be mystified if anyone considered that toning to be attractive-even accounting for a reasonable range of perspectives!

Higashiyama

@Higashiyama said:
    Montrous might be a better description. If the photos are accurate, I would be mystified if anyone considered that toning to be attractive-even accounting for a reasonable range of perspectives!

Then you can be mystified by my option - I think it’s very attractive.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

@MFeld said "Then you can be mystified by my option - I think it’s very attractive."

:o

Wow, it is almost impossible to discuss the finer points of aesthetics in a chat room format, so my question is perhaps unfair, but can you describe what grabs you about that coin?

(I don't want to go on and on dissing the coin, but It doesn't have any of the attributes I am usually attracted to in a toned coin.)

Higashiyama
  • david3142david3142 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Skrill90 said:
    It has nice bullseye toning and a red field holder but I feel $6500 is moon money for this coin... Am I mistaken?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1922-D-S-1-NGC-MS-62-Redfeild-Collection-Monster-Toned-Peace-Dollar/202762949080?hash=item2f359d11d8:g:M0QAAOSwUfBdYALZ

Are you familiar with Betteridge’s Law?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betteridge's_law_of_headlines

I think that will answer all of your questions.

As for this one, it also looks ED to me. I’m surprised it straight-graded and it isn’t worth anywhere near $6500.

@Higashiyama said:
    @MFeld said "Then you can be mystified by my option - I think it’s very attractive."

:o

Wow, it is almost impossible to discuss the finer points of aesthetics in a chat room format, so my question is perhaps unfair, but can you describe what grabs you about that coin?

(I don't want to go on and on dissing the coin, but It doesn't have any of the attributes I am usually attracted to in a toned coin.)

Simply put, I think the blend of obverse colors is very attractive. Should I take it from your comments that you wouldn’t like such color, even if it were on another type of coin (such as Seated, Barber, Morgan, etc.) instead?

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obverse looks decent, reverse far less so. Photos are atrocious, but at least not doctored or juiced up.

For that price, the coin should be a knockout. This one is not.

One obvious caveat -- I am extrapolating from the image, and the coin may look better in hand, and probably would look better with a glamour shot as well.

For the obverse, I don't dislike the color palette per se -- definitely I own some Seated coins and Morgans with a similar palette. I guess I would describe the obverse colors as gunmetal with hints of brown, green, and blue, so in words it sounds nice. But the coin appears dark (in spite of the bull's eye), splotchy, and somewhat lifeless. Also, I think the toning tends to obscure rather than elevate the design elements. The reverse seems almost "dirty", but strangely (there's no accounting for taste), I almost like the reverse!

Apologies ... it's not nice to dis someone else's coin, and I'm not judging someone who does in fact like it. With that said, I do find it surprising that this coin would bring a toning premium.

Higashiyama

@Higashiyama said:
    One obvious caveat -- I am extrapolating from the image, and the coin may look better in hand, and probably would look better with a glamour shot as well.

For the obverse, I don't dislike the color palette per se -- definitely I own some Seated coins and Morgans with a similar palette. I guess I would describe the obverse colors as gunmetal with hints of brown, green, and blue, so in words it sounds nice. But the coin appears dark (in spite of the bull's eye), splotchy, and somewhat lifeless. Also, I think the toning tends to obscure rather than elevate the design elements. The reverse seems almost "dirty", but strangely (there's no accounting for taste), I almost like the reverse!

Apologies ... it's not nice to dis someone else's coin, and I'm not judging someone who does in fact like it. With that said, I do find it surprising that this coin would bring a toning premium.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

• AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Higashiyama said:

Well done (in terms of defending your opinion).

Smitten with DBLCs.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's possibly the ugliest peace I've ever seen. Id pay about $12 for it and crack and dip within a minute of being in my possession.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ugly!

• ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

For that kindve $$ you can get a really nice 34 S..

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

That peach juice just keeps on going..... ;)

Attractive toning, above average, not outstanding. I’d be a buyer around $200 or so, which means I’m not likely to ever own it. :)

• MrSliderMrSlider Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

I’m thinking they’re fielding for a best offer... I offered my best of 150,
    It was declined

https://tinyurl.com/wbuh7ba (Search PCGS on ebay)

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be surprised if it sells at that price. It is well known that I do not care for tarnished coins, and that one, to me, is just ugly. I know those who like tarnish have totally different opinions...and that is fine....it happens in art, women/men, cars and any other field of interest. That being said, to me, the most objectionable part of the offer is the price....Cheers, RickO

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Note to the OP. If the EBay listing says Monster toned 99% of the time it’s not

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • EbeneezerEbeneezer Posts: 263 ✭✭✭

Absolutely not. An MS66+ is well under that, of which only 87 graded while the highest at MS67 are not much over the seller's listing. If it's a toned one you seek I'm sure there's one in a higher grade at a fraction of $6500.

• DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not attractive.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

$6500 for that coin is beyond insane, IMO.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Note to the OP. If the EBay listing says Monster toned 99% of the time it’s not

m

You're being conservative. I'd add a decimal point and then a few more nines. Unless by monster the seller means the type that you take behind the tool shed and take out of its misery of course.

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a 22D in 62.

I find the toning somewhat attractive but a price in the hundreds, not thousands, seems more appropriate to me.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I would be surprised if it sells at that price. It is well known that I do not care for tarnished coins, and that one, to me, is just ugly. I know those who like tarnish have totally different opinions...and that is fine....it happens in art, women/men, cars and any other field of interest. That being said, to me, the most objectionable part of the offer is the price....Cheers, RickO

+1

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Skrill90Skrill90 Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

Ahhh very insightful.
    I need to understand toners and their pricing premiums better.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Skrill90 said:
    Ahhh very insightful.

And what is attractive to deserve a premium. :)

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll pass on that one

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like someone left it on the roof too long!! LOL

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:

@Skrill90 said:
    Ahhh very insightful.

And what is attractive to deserve a premium. :)

It should trade for a discount in this case.

• ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldnt like it at 650

• fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like environmental damage to me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file