Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Did you go to Dalton?

YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let’s see a show report

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.

Comments

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately the attendance this year was pretty much 50% or less than what it was last year. :( Many attribute it to being the week after the ANA show. There's usually over 1000 on Friday and this show recorded 513. Today was much worse.

• Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

My local coin guy went. Can’t wait to make a post-show visit to his shop.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The attendance drop is disappointing.... was it also reflected in dealer attendance? A week after ANA could definitely be a contributor. Most shows this year have reported great attendance and activity. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

I herd from two dealer friends of mine said it was lightly attended.

• Options

Full house of dealers. Very little butter to spread on that bread!

@ricko said:
    The attendance drop is disappointing.... was it also reflected in dealer attendance? A week after ANA could definitely be a contributor. Most shows this year have reported great attendance and activity. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Having a semi-major show one week after the ANA makes absolutely no sense. Long Beach, three weeks after the ANA and the week of Labor Day will also be slow. Do show promoters look at calendars?

• Options

@skier07 said:
    Having a semi-major show one week after the ANA makes absolutely no sense. Long Beach, three weeks after the ANA and the week of Labor Day will also be slow. Do show promoters look at calendars?

Apparently, they don’t. While I love coin shows, there are too many of them.
    Last year, I had a table at the Dalton Show. I had a blast but am glad I don’t do this on a regular basis.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

_A week after ANA could definitely be a contributor. _

Absolutely. After a great time at the ANA, the last thing I wanted to do was drive four hours to the Dalton show just a week later.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    edited August 25, 2019 2:13PM

In defense of the BRNA...they book years I advance...they have to to insure they have the venue. There's usually no changing it when another show steps on you. Whitman has really gotten a bad rep for doing this. While I understand it's not their fault due to the convention center...but several shows I have known of contacted Whitman before they set their dates only to have Whitman change their date on them.

PS...I was their until 2:30 today and maybe 30 people came?

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    In defense of the BRNA...they book years I advance...they have to to insure they have the venue. There's usually no changing it when another show steps on you. Whitman has really gotten a bad rep for doing this. While I understand it's not their fault due to the convention center...but several shows I have known of contacted Whitman before they set their dates only to have Whitman change their date on them.

Was it a financially successful show?

• Options

LOL! If you call covering your expenses it was. I did buy a few nice things that will push it over the top though. Sad thing is it used to always be a 5 figure + show until the last coupe of years.

@Yorkshireman said:

@amwldcoin said:

Was it a financially successful show?

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

Thought it would be bigger.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

Not quite sure I understand that reference...

• Options

Guess you didn't see Road House! Patrick Swayze was a well known bouncer. When he was hired to protect a bar being rough housed and bribed everyone said they thought he would be bigger! Same with the Dalton show attendance!

@Yorkshireman said:
    Not quite sure I understand that reference...

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ANA runs from August 4-8 next year. The BRNA show runs August 21-23 next year. That will give it a a little more separation.

• Options
  • Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

SLOW and SLOWER Friday not the expected traffic... Saturday by 2:00 dealers packing up and leaving, as we did at 5:00
    Sunday must have seen only 1/2 the dealers left....
    The Scrap Gold and Silver table EMPIRE was ROCKING the whole time.......
    all in all disappointing

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file