Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Two absolutely amazing newps for the type set

2»

Comments

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

pretty nice coins. stick with collecting. you may have an impressive collection some day. ;-)

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

18th century only

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wicked nice I like a little bir

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bit sorry about the spelling

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing quality. They leave me speechless and in awe.

Thanks for showing them.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    18th century only

You need to open the set for viewing. :)

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    Congratulations! No pictures needed, as we can all see the graffiti, anyway. 😉

touché of the month. seriously funny.

TDN - No words, wow, and glad you didn't leave us, to some nebby thread on AOL.

• Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭

BRUCE WOW! Your 1797 Draped Bust Half Dollar is arguably the most important draped bust half extant. In head to head (if not a nose ahead imho) competition with the MS66. I've always thought that your coin was one of the most fabulous of early 18th century mint products. It has everything one could dream about, starting with being an exceedingly rare and coveted date, A+++ eye appeal, stunning originality. Ok,ok that's enough be still my heart. REALLY AWESOME!

You are always full of surprises....

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's still not viewable........so it really doesn't really exist. ;)B)

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2019 8:38PM

Gorgeous coins @tradedollarnut!

Thanks for sharing them. Great to have old friends come back.

Amazing condition and nice, long provenance on these. The quarter goes back to James Ten Eyck and the half dollar to William Gustav Baldenhofer.

Here are the two TrueViews together:

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very very nice! :o

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Speaking of denticles...this is interesting:

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

As always ..... great pick ups TDN!

• Options
    TomthecoinguyTomthecoinguy Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

Is it just me, or do others get excited when they see a thread started by TDN that has "newp" in the title.

• Options
    edited August 24, 2019 10:55PM

@Tomthecoinguy said:
    Is it just me, or do others get excited when they see a thread started by TDN that has "newp" in the title.

I get really excited and I'm glad he posts.

I've actually been wondering if that's a good test for new acquisitions. If others get excited, it's potentially a good addition. If others don't get excited, don't buy it.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Tomthecoinguy said:

I've actually been wondering if that's a good test for new acquisitions. If others get excited, it's potentially a good addition. If others don't get excited, don't buy it.

Really? For a number of reasons, in general, I think that would be a very poor way to make purchasing decisions.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Exquisite.

Thank you for sharing photos of these coins with the forum.

• Options
    edited August 25, 2019 9:20AM

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

@Tomthecoinguy said:

Really? For a number of reasons, in general, I think that would be a very poor way to make purchasing decisions.

We can start another thread on this but yes, I’ve started to think this way for expensive but more common coins. I think it’s a way to avoid tuition and upgrade costs. As an example, I was just looking at Draped Bust gold eagles and Gobrecht dollars where low end problem coins are 4 figures and lower end non-problem coins are low 5 digits. I’m thinking why not wait until a nice one comes into reach, assuming budget can grow over time, e.g. via stocks or other means. Absent that, enjoy the nice coins that are posted here. Of course, it’s different for other areas with less demand. Who doesn’t want to have awesome coins? :)

• Options
    edited August 25, 2019 9:24AM

Nice! Your house looks awesome. It’s good to have priorities :)

• Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    If you look at the early silver with no denominations on the reverse, the way to tell them apart is by the proportions of the denticles and the stars to the overall diameter. See how long the denticles are on that quarter? Blow the picture up to the diameter of a dollar and the denticles on the quarter will be much longer than those on the dollar.

I’ve learned something new, thank you!

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Incredible coins.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2019 10:58AM

I was expecting to see the usual ho hum eventually come on for display but those two issues of 1796 and 1797 are stunning!

Just kidding no ho hum around here ever. :*

In Early Bust coinage, how does one figure out what denomination one is looking at from an image?

Okay, I see on closer inspection that the 1797 dated piece has a denomination stamped on it.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations.

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut

Where’s the pic of the runway? :p

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

No one has identified any on this pair.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Baley said:

@MFeld said:

No one has identified any on this pair.

Please give it up. You are embarrassing yourself.

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are some bold, full strikes on both coins.These are presentation pieces?

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    Speaking of denticles...this is interesting:

Mine had it.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be interesting to see someone attempt to make exampled of the two pictured coins today using the same materials and production technology (screw press and I assume hand made dies) that existed at the Mint in 1796 and 1797.

I wonder how close newly made examples would be to the quality of these two coins.

Looking at the blown up true view photos of the 1797 half dollar reveals a number for interesting things present on the coin, especially on the reverse. Hours of studying that coin would be in order.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    It would be interesting to see someone attempt to make exampled of the two pictured coins today using the same materials and production technology (screw press and I assume hand made dies) that existed at the Mint in 1796 and 1797.

I wonder how close newly made examples would be to the quality of these two coins.

Ron Landis and Joe Rust (RIP) did exactly that in the 1990s at their original Gallery Mint.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 1796 quarter is my all time favorite - I believe it was previously from the Knoxville set. I had the opportunity to view that coin up close and its magnificent. Congrats!

Easton Collection
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wanted to be the first one to post that these two coins fall short of expectations...I just can't do it.

Incredible pieces to be be certain! Well played!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    sarikanairsarikanair Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

Congratulations... Amazing coins

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent coins!

@ SiriusBlack:

What is the 1796? It doesn't have a denomination on it and I'm not familiar with them

On these high grade examples, the incredible engraving artistry by Chief Engraver Robert Scot is evident. The portrait is so consistent with the two denominations that denticles must be used to differentiate them. This was before the reducing lathe which came in 1836. Scot engraved miniature copperplate portraits that required accurate reductions in scale and proportion that was done with graphic projections of gridlines, and the same was used to reduce designs on original dies for the different denominations, in accurate scale.

A lot of accolades have been justly given to the quality of these coins. Let's give credit where credit is due - the engraving by Scot was awesome.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful!

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting your Treasures TDN...and OMG that lazy-river is way too cool and how about those picture-perfect set of Palm trees in the front...since becoming a member here in 2012, that is the first time that my wife had actually grabbed my phone from me to check out a picture I’m trying to show her from here! So damn Cool and Congrats ;)

• Options
    edited August 27, 2019 8:44AM

@Nysoto said:
    Excellent coins!

@ SiriusBlack:

What is the 1796? It doesn't have a denomination on it and I'm not familiar with them

On these high grade examples, the incredible engraving artistry by Chief Engraver Robert Scot is evident. The portrait is so consistent with the two denominations that denticles must be used to differentiate them. This was before the reducing lathe which came in 1836. Scot engraved miniature copperplate portraits that required accurate reductions in scale and proportion that was done with graphic projections of gridlines, and the same was used to reduce designs on original dies for the different denominations, in accurate scale.

A lot of accolades have been justly given to the quality of these coins. Let's give credit where credit is due - the engraving by Scot was awesome.

Definitely great engraving by Robert Scot.

Do we know who did the minting on these? The strike on the quarter looks great as well.

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

No matter how hard I look, I'm just not going to find a Gallery Mint copy stamp, am I? :)

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

Stunning!

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭

nothing but eye candy as usual
    I can do nothing but shake my head and enjoy from afar.
    Thanks for sharing.

Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file