Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin World: Legislative proposal coming from United States Mint on 2028 Olympic coins

BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

From Coin World. Not much info, but we can probably expect LA Olympic Coinage in 2028...

Legislative proposal coming from United States Mint on 2028 Olympic coins

Coinage legislation is being pursued in anticipation of the 2028 Summer Olympic Games in Los Angeles and to also recognize the Paralympics athletes, U.S. Mint Director David J. Ryder told Coin World Aug. 13.

Ryder said in an interview at the American Numismatic Association World’s Fair of Money in Rosemont, Illinois, that U.S. Mint officials will be consulting with representatives of the U.S. Olympic Committee to help draft the necessary legislation.

Ryder said such legislation would include a reasonable number of coin designs with suitable mintages without becoming a repeat of the 1995–1996 Atlanta Centennial Olympics Commemorative Coin Program (which initially authorized a combined 18 million various coins across three denominations, before the mintage ceilings were scaled back).

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a long time in the future... and certainly L.A. has some problems they need to resolve before such an event....Worth watching though....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember as a child seeing the torch go in front of my house for the 1984 Olympics. I didn't get to attend any of the events but my dad took me to see a lot of the locations. I was totally addicted. My mom even made my birthday that year Olympics themed because they were within a few weeks of each other.

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was driving in Colorado Springs in 1984 when a police car stopped traffic to allow the Olympic Torch to go by up Academy Blvd. On the news that night they mentioned that it was spending the night at the Air Force Academy up the road.

My second wife was a volunteer at the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file