Home Metal Detecting
Options

Hot Sunday dig and Coinstar surprise.

Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah it was hot on Sunday but I didn't mind it as much when I plucked the shield nickel out from 6" . It's AG although it has a chopmark on the obv. Anyone recognize the design? of the small square with lines.
And stopped at the Shoprite, stuck my finger in the Coinstar reject slot to find the cent blank. It weights 3.1g and is 18.5mm. Comments are welcome. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

Comments

• Options

To clarify the cent blank is an unstruck planchet, Type II for a wheat cent. IMO.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    CCDAMEEKCCDAMEEK Posts: 117 ✭✭✭

Cool Finds. Wonder what the third good thing was that day? You know, good things come in threes...…...

Oh how I LOVE this hobby!

Freedom isn't free, we must protect it. Many Thanks to all those in the U.S. Military and Law Enforcement, past and present, for taking lead in that fight.

Current equipment: Whites DFX 300; Tesoro Tiger Shark; Minelab CTX 3030.
    Pin-ponters: Garrett Propointer AT; Minelab Pro Find 35

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now those are unique finds Roy...I have not seen a chop marked nickel before... and not sure if that is a real chop or a stamp of another origin... either way, it is cool. I do have a blank planchet, found years ago in change...Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko Why someone would chopmark a nickel back then, I have no idea. It is an interesting shape that I'm researching now.
    From the condition of the planchet, I figure someone emptied a jar of old coins without checking them first.
    I'm going back to the old farm in NJ later today. I know the goodies are 6-9" down and the signals are short and sweet. Peace Roy

• Options

I have no idea why someone would do that...It does look interesting...not a typical counter stamp...and does look like a chop....let us know if you find some details. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko After an acetone dip, the dirt dissolved to reveal that the countermark looks to be 2 countermarks. One is the square with lines and a star in the center while the other is a teardrop shape over the right side of the first one. I went to my lcs for his opinion and to check his reference library. He has a copy of American & Canadian Countermarked Coins by G. Brunk. Great book, lots of images and info but didn't find either mark. Maybe someone here recognizes either mark. Closeups attached.

• Options

The star/square is unlike any countermark I have seen before....The other mark looks as if it could have occurred due to a contact in storage or something like that...Thanks for the great pictures... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko On a separate note, I also dug a nice early pewter spoon handle. The design is known as Sheaf of Wheat and matches a silver teaspoon pattern attributed to New England circa 1820. The stem stamps look like F E and s. I'm going to send images to a pewter expert in the UK, who has helped me in the past. More to come.

• Options

Nice find, sorry I cannot help with the identification....Let me know what you learn. Cheers, RickO