Home Precious Metals

question about a bar?

jfoot13jfoot13 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

I just got this in with an estate and was wondering if anyone could help . I see them in discussions on this forum and figure this is where the experts are
thanks in advance for any input
Ken

If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......

Comments

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a nice Bar. 1852 should be the bar number and the other information should be who created it. I would advise google search and if you do not find anything to your satisfaction, then go to a local dealer and have it tested for content and authenticity. Can never go wrong with bars of silver. What is the Backstory to your aquired this Bar. Family member or did you buy it? Here is a google search result for Moffat and 1852. Do you have a tester? these are from the 1950-1960's

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=102495

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That bar does look like an old one....I would think some of the bar collectors here will be interested in it. Cheers, RickO

• jfoot13jfoot13 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

this came from the estate of a local coin dealer and I found it in a bucket of silver on its way to the refiner. It looked interesting so I pulled it to find out a little more when I had time lol we all know how that goes. It does look like the pictures of those fantasy pieces from the 50s - 60s and it is silver, what sort of premium do they command if any ? thanks for the direction those links were interesting
    Ken

• BIGWEBBBIGWEBB Posts: 214 ✭✭✭

Well I know moffat was a big name in the 1850s in territorial gold. Theyes would take nuggets n dust from miner and give them coins they minted in trade. Maybe that will get you some answers but if you thinking of selling it I'd be a player. So let me know thanks

COOKIES!

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

Am I the only one that's suspicious of the true origins of this bar?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

from what I was reading in the links in the beginning these are fantasy bars from the 50s-60s if thats not correct please let me know

@jfoot13 said:
    from what I was reading in the links in the beginning these are fantasy bars from the 50s-60s if thats not correct please let me know

Sounds about right. Someone with a letter and number punch set can make something similar.

Can someone post a pic of a genuine Moffat & Co. silver bar for comparison purposes?

would appreciate any input on this thing as I said I rescued it from the melt bucket because it had character and I looked like something I could make a buck on lol

I took it and had it tested on the machine and it came back a tin/lead mixture ( I should have left it in the melt bucket lol ) In any event take note :) if you have to learn from mistakes , make the mistakes other peoples :)

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

To me, that looks totally off. Not old at all.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jfoot13 said:
    I took it and had it tested on the machine and it came back a tin/lead mixture ( I should have left it in the melt bucket lol ) In any event take note :) if you have to learn from mistakes , make the mistakes other peoples :)

Looks like someone wanted to pass some solder as silver

Collector, occasional seller