Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Safety Deposit Box - Unopened.

KurtisJosephKurtisJoseph Posts: 213 ✭✭✭

Was at one of my safety deposit boxes recently. I was shocked that the last time I was at this particular bank was 5 years ago based on the sign in sheet. Time flies. Kind of a cool pic.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭

Thats quite a large sdb to hold all that.

• Options
    DragnetDragnet Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

are those regular '75 boxes or the minis? great collection there!

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dragnet said:
    are those regular '75 boxes or the minis? great collection there!

Must be minis as they are smaller than the ‘76 box.

• Options
    MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

Now that's a safety deposit box! Congrats!

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

I might have to look into putting my Joe Louis cards in a safety deposit box. Right now, all I can afford is a guard hamster to protect them.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KurtisJoseph said:
    Was at one of my safety deposit boxes recently. I was shocked that the last time I was at this particular bank was 5 years ago based on the sign in sheet. Time flies. Kind of a cool pic.

Nice Yount on top of that pack!

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NGS428 said:

@KurtisJoseph said:

Nice Yount on top of that pack!

And there is this Brett guy at the top of the pic! :o

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

Awesome stuff!

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 865 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also want to say awesome stuff. 75 topps is my favorite set of the seventies.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike
  • Options
    Air23GOATAir23GOAT Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I might have to look into putting my Joe Louis cards in a safety deposit box. Right now, all I can afford is a guard hamster to protect them.

How about that killer white rabbit from Monty Python & the Holy Grail....? With great big pointy teeth.

I'm all about that Jordan stuff. Cards, stickers, posters & whatever else is cool. The rarer the better. And always in a PSA 10 if I can help it.
    Any other big Jordan nuts out there let me know.

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

75’s unopened have gone up a bit since 5 years ago. Oh boy!!!!

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely stunning!!!

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good Lord :O

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2019 5:38PM

Group break!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

curious. what does the bank charge for the safety deposit box?

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Air23GOAT said:

@doubledragon said:

How about that killer white rabbit from Monty Python & the Holy Grail....? With great big pointy teeth.

I love that rabbit. He was so adorable. They even make bedroom slippers based on him.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    Group break!

This ^

• Options
    KurtisJosephKurtisJoseph Posts: 213 ✭✭✭

I knew I could count on you guys to provide some laughs. Grote - “group break”!! Yikes.

To answer some questions, this is an usually large safety deposit box. $150/yr. I have others that are smaller and are $55/yr. I highly suggest these if you’re carrying around cards of value. Even if your insurance policy would cover due to loss or theft, I don’t think you would feel any better. It’s also easy to say you’ll do it someday... don’t let those words come back to haunt you.

Question for group. I am not an expert on PSA grading. I only buy things unopened and stow away. I have some racks that have exceptional centering of the star showing thru on the top of the rack. There are some that have to be a 9. Dare I say maybe even a 10? Will Steve look at that and make a determination or does he have to touch the card and see the back?

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

>

Question for group. I am not an expert on PSA grading. I only buy things unopened and stow away. I have some racks that have exceptional centering of the star showing thru on the top of the rack. There are some that have to be a 9. Dare I say maybe even a 10? Will Steve look at that and make a determination or does he have to touch the card and see the back?

PSA doesn't grade rack packs. BBCE will check them out and shrink wrap them in one of the large top loaders

• Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

Very nice collection there.

I believe you are asking if Steve will tell you the grade of the cards themselves, not the rack packs.

Steve only authenticates. PSA assigns grades. So you won't be able to do a pre-check with Steve. PSA, I expect, would need to be able to see the back of the card.

Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rip, baby, rip!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Um....Wow.

Makes me think good idea to get a SDB and stash some stuff then forget about it for a few years!

• Options
    Cs223406Cs223406 Posts: 142 ✭✭✭✭

Hi OP, incredible collection. I have thought about safety deposit boxes but I saw this article a couple weeks back that I thought I'd share.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/19/business/safe-deposit-box-theft.html

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2019 7:13PM

Took the time to sign up and read.

Wow. Just wow!

This is my favorite - calling some of this incompetence would be doing a disservice to people who are incompetent; this is just plain worse!

Oddly, the bank returned to him five watches that weren’t his. “They were the wrong color, the wrong size — totally different than what I had,” Mr. Poniz said. “I had no idea where they came from.”

Wells Fargo "tries" to recover some of his lost items.

Can't see why - since they "know" they're in the wrong? Just fess up and pay the guy.

Mike
  • Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

@Cs223406 said:
    Hi OP, incredible collection. I have thought about safety deposit boxes but I saw this article a couple weeks back that I thought I'd share.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/19/business/safe-deposit-box-theft.html

Great article. A must read for every collector.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options

Just curious about safety deposit boxes.......wouldn’t a good fireproof safe be more affordable in the long run? Plus, you don’t have to run to the bank every time you want to look at your collection!

• Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    Group break!

Tim--more like a group break-in to the bank!! :p

• Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2019 12:12AM

@bigt5959 said:
    Just curious about safety deposit boxes.......wouldn’t a good fireproof safe be more affordable in the long run? Plus, you don’t have to run to the bank every time you want to look at your collection!

In theory, but not insured. Honestly, collector’s insurance is what I would recommend. Close in price (annually) to cost of this box based on value, and you can enjoy the collection daily.

Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@esquiresports said:

@bigt5959 said:

In theory, but not insured. Honestly, collector’s insurance is what I would recommend. Close in price (annually) to cost of this box based on value, and you can enjoy the collection daily.

The other advantage to collector's insurance is you can use it to save money on insurance when you buy and sell cards. All you need to pay for is signature confirmation.