Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Two more Jefferson errors. 1980

Not my writing on the 2x2s. Was told they were pulled out of an original 1980 roll of jeffersons about 30 years ago.

I actively collect, buy and sell US minted Philippine coins from 1903-1945. I am interested in anything during this period, Albums, Proof sets, collections, original rolls and bags, Cullion Leper colony coins etc.
Also a big fan of liberty seated coins.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting errors.... surprised to see that and also have full steps on the reverse (though I cannot ascertain that from the pictures, just the note on the 2x2). Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Struck through a die cap is my take, though the inverse Monticello confuses me, unless there was another struck coin stacked between the planchet and capped die when this one was made.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

First one is a mid/late stage brockage.

Second one is from a thinning die cap, a
    later stage than the first piece.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file