Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My little Schertz, TX show report

ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

With all the ANA reports coming out (wish I could have been there too), I figured I'd give a small write-up on one of our local shows, which happen a few times a year. We are lucky to have that many.

As for the show, it's a one day (Saturday) affair and I usually try to get there a bit after opening. Seeing a full parking lot is usually a good sign, and it did confirm that the show was well-attended. Over time, I've seen those shows start to skew to a younger crowd, and this one was no exception. Quite a few of them were mentioning Instagram and how they liked some of the dealers were finally on that platform. One of them, Royal Coins from Houston has seen this trend and they make a good effort to talk to the younger folks that send them questions via direct message (DM). It's encouraging for the future, and shows need to take heed. None of that new audience (I don't like this either) is interested in jabber about conspiracies, the gold standard and other old folks grumbles. There were a couple tables like that, and they appeared sparsely populated by anyone under 75.

Bullion appeared to be very active, and I did see where MS graded gold coins (some in OGH) were going for melt plus a few dollars, one that stuck out was an 1886-S $10 MS-62 OGH that said melt +$20. Interesting. Some world coins were moving too, including Philippines and Mexican coins, I heard a couple dealers mention that their entire inventory of (country) was bought up.

Now on to what I got. This show I usually work on my bookshelf albums and get raw coins. I think the most exciting thing I found was someone selling Library of Coins albums for a buck each! I bought three so I could transfer some coins from old Whitman folders and start work on a circulated SLQ set. I also found a few nice toners and a nice raw 1853 half cent for my Dansco. I was able to negotiate better prices than what is on the holder too, so pay no mind to those prices!

Until the next show!

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @ElmerFusterpuck for your report. To get newer collectors in this hobby it needs to evolve and adapt and your mentioning of another platform is evidence of the need to evolve or be forgotten.

• Options
    shortnockshortnock Posts: 372 ✭✭✭

Thanks Elmer. Nice show report with photos. Enjoyed buying and selling at Schertz on Saturday. Rode to the show with Christian, who always enjoys great cherrypickin'. Sold a few Typ "B" Washies. Spent $25.00 to purchase three "W" Lowell Washies. Bookseller there had great stock and very, very fair prices. Bought Wayne Miller's book on Morgan and Peace Dollars for $2.00...yes, $2.00...gave it to a friend. Looking forward to the next Schertz show.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting such a nice report!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your report. Looks like a nice little show.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting comments about mexican and
    Philippine coin demand

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for a nice report

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your report. Very interesting and exciting.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for a very nice report Elmer... and pictures as well... Good point about the internet...Lots of action out there. Interesting to see it migrating to live coin shows as well. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2019 4:48PM

Nice report and scores! I was there also and made some nice cherrypicks. That's always been a decent show.

Sonny @ Royal Coins has always been one of the good guys as far as I'm concerned. He's a regular at the Round Rock show my wife and I run, and it's great having him there.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a fine show !
    Those Library albums have always been my favorites......

• Options
    ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a great report elmfusterpuck like the newps ive would have picked them out for sure if i saw them at a local show. Great deals on those album they bring back great memories!!

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic report, great pickups!!

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cmerlo1 said:
    Nice report and scores! I was there also and made some nice cherrypicks. That's always been a decent show.

Sonny @ Royal Coins has always been one of the good guys as far as I'm concerned. He's a regular at the Round Rock show my wife and I run, and it's great having him there.

I've known Sonny for 35+ years but haven't seen him in a while. You can't find a more honest person to do business with. When is the next Round Rock show?

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report. Thank you.

• Options
    TeamDennisTeamDennis Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

Most excellent. :)

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oldabeintx said:

@cmerlo1 said:

I've known Sonny for 35+ years but haven't seen him in a while. You can't find a more honest person to do business with. When is the next Round Rock show?

October 12th.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cmerlo1 said:

@oldabeintx said:

@cmerlo1 said:

October 12th.

Thanks.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file