Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ANA Show Report

goldengolden Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was the 50th consecutive ANA show that I have attended.

I left home a little after daybreak, on Monday, for the long drive to Chicago ( Rosemont ). I arrived in the area just in time for rush hour and a driving rain storm. I first went to the Rose Garden Cafe which is my favorite restaurant anywhere. I had the char-grilled pork chops ( 3 large ones ), baked potato, chicken and rice soup and assorted bread basket for $13.85. So good ,but I could only eat one of the chops. I went to the hotel and soon called it a day.

Tuesday morning I had one of last night's pork crops for breakfast and then drove to the show. I parked in the garage ( $ 15 ) and took the long Sky Bridge ( this is about a 10 minute walk ) to the Convention Center. When I arrived about 9 AM there was already a good crowd waiting for the 9:30 opening. I was near the front of a huge crowd entering the show. I first went to talk to Don Kagin and look at a coin. It had been sold. I next pondered a Seated Dime at Gerry Fortin's table. I decided that it was a little dark for my taste and passed. Went to see David Kahn where I sold him two coins and purchased two. I next dropped off some coins for Todd Pollock to image. Continuing on I talked to Dimeman ( Jon ). He was looking for a 1932-D Quarter in PCGS 64. I said that I would keep an eye out for one. Went to see Liz Coggan and sold her a coin. Talked to Kenneth Goldman for a short time. Said hello to Julian Leidman.

It is amazing some of the coins that you see at a large show like the ANA. I saw a $10 1839/8 Type of 1838 in PCGS Proof 61, an 1821 $2 1/2 in NGC Proof 65 CAM, an 1868 Proof Set from Cent to Silver Dollar, two 1794 Silver Dollars in PCGS XF 40, an 1877 Proof Set from Cent to $20 . There were at least a dozen $50 Pan-Pacs. There was an original pack of $500 1934 Federal Reserve Notes from the New York District that had been slabed by PMG and the original bundle label was included.The Gold coins from the second dive on the Central America that were so numerous at the FUN show were not seen very much at the ANA.

As late afternoon arrived I decided to call it a day. I went back to the Rose Garden Cafe where I had the grilled Tiliapia , mashed potatoes and gravy, chicken and rice soup and bread for $11.95.

Wednesday morning I had the last of my pork chops for breakfast before I went to the show. I arrived just as the show opened to ANA members at 9:30. I said hello to Lyn Knight and had I a conversation with Allen Mincho.

I went over to see the D.L.Hansen collection of Proof Trade Dollars including the 1884 and 1885! I saw a Large Cent that I missed on Tuesday. I liked it but could not pull the trigger. I took a look at the prices at the concession stand. A slice of pizza was $8.75, a hot dog was $5.25 and a soda was $5.50. No way.

I left early today because I had gotten very tired. It was the Rose Garden Cafe for dinner. I had the char-grilled chopped steak, fries, chicken and rice soup and bread for $11.95.

I slept in a little on Thursday and did not arrive at the show till 11 AM. I went to David Kahn's table and saw a Newp that I liked. Bought it. I went back to take a look at the Large Cent that I saw yesterday. I decided to step up to the plate. I went to look at the exhibits. They were ok but I did not see any that I wanted to stop and carefully read the information. At 3 PM I went to the ANA member reception. They had some very nice food. I received my 50 year lapel pin and 50 year gold engraved membership medal. It is very nice.

After the reception I had dinner once again at the Rose Garden Cafe. I had the grilled Perch, fries, chicken and rice soup and bread for $11.45.

On Friday I checked out of the hotel and went back to the show for the last time. I went to the PCGS table to look at the Gerald R. Forsythe collection of Mint State and Proof Liberty Nickels including the 1913 in Proof 66. Wow. At 11:30 I attended the PCGS Awards Luncheon. As always the food was great. I was very honored to receive an award for one of my Registry Sets. I left the show at 1 PM. After driving more than half way home I stopped for the night a little before dark.

Saturday I left the hotel at 9:30 AM. Stopping only for lunch at a favorite Chinese Buffet I arrived home in mid-afternoon.

I had a super time at the ANA show. If you have not been to one, start making your plans for next August in Pittsburgh.

Comments

• Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brilliant report! Congrats on the milestones!

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report. Congrats on your 50th year recognition and the Registry
    award. Which set? Let us in on the Newp from David Kahn. The chicken
    and rice soup must be a favorite with you. Thanks again.

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2019 12:15AM

@golden said:
    I left the show at 1 PM. After driving more than half way home I stopped...

...turned right back around and went for one more basket of Greek food at the Rose Garden Cafe!”

💯 that’s what I thought was coming during my read when I made it to that point...that’s what I would have done...if you catch me in a restaurant 4 nights in a row then somebody that works there must owe me money ;)

• Options
    superpsychmdsuperpsychmd Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

So where is the Rose Garden Cafe? Gonna try it next time in 2021

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

So your really like rice soup and chopped or chops. Great report and congratulations on your awards.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭✭

Great report

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@golden... Thanks for the report....The next time I am in the area, I will have to try the Rose Garden Cafe. Congratulations on your 50th, consecutive, ANA show!! A great milestone. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report and congrats on the awards!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2019 5:43AM

Fixed it for ya! :#

@btcollects said:
    sounds like you cherrypicked some more memorable pork chops

@golden Is this a repeat from the last show you were attended at Rosemont?

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wife asked me what we wanted to do for dinner tonight. I said, “ I got a hankering for pork chops”.

Congrats on #50

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    rkprkp Posts: 434 ✭✭✭

Great report, thanks for sharing.

50 years is QUITE the accomplishment, congrats!!! I wonder how the show has changed over this time.

• Options
    PurfrockPurfrock Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Thank you for the report. It would be great to hear what you bought.

EAC, ANA Member
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boy, that's a COMPLETE show for number 50. Congratulations !
    Be back later, I'm looking for a char-grilled pork chop !

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

You might end up with a new nickname of chops or something :-)

Thanks for the report

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

Was last their in 2015., Hope to go next year. I do remember the food was better and cheaper than here (Seattle area).

• Options
    shortnockshortnock Posts: 371 ✭✭✭

Fine about the coins and awards; Need more info on Rose Garden Cafe....photos?

• Options
    edited August 18, 2019 11:57AM

@superpsychmd said:
    So where is the Rose Garden Cafe? Gonna try it next time in 2021

It is located at 111 E. Higgins Road in Elk Grove Village. It is a family owned Greek restaurant that has been there for decades.

• Options
    alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭✭

Next time add pictures of the restaurant and food, especially the chops

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Rose Garden Cafe must be one hell of a good restaurant.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    jkrkjkrk Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do they deliver to NYC?

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you catch me in a restaurant 4 nights in a row then somebody that works there must owe me money ;)

...or have some smokin hot waitresses

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    happycollectinghappycollecting Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭

Nice report. Thanks for sharing.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report - and thanks for the help on looking for the 32-D even though we came up empty. I wish I had of know about the Rose Garden Café. Maybe we can get together for that in 2021,

• Options

@rkp said:
    Great report, thanks for sharing.

50 years is QUITE the accomplishment, congrats!!! I wonder how the show has changed over this time.

The first ANA that I went to was at the Chase Park Plaza Hotel in St. Louis in 1970. It was the last time that the show was at a grand old hotel. I would guess that there were only 80 or so bourse tables. There was a very good auction by RARCOA.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    Great report - and thanks for the help on looking for the 32-D even though we came up empty. I wish I had of know about the Rose Garden Café. Maybe we can get together for that in 2021,

For sure.

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent report. I wonder how many times we crossed paths during the week. What set was the PCGS award for? I will probably remember you going up to get it.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 19, 2019 6:13PM

@golden said:
    This was the 50th consecutive ANA show that I have attended.

Congratulations on an amazing accomplishment.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file