Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Please tape your Small Flat Rate boxes!

messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a public service announcement. If I can open, empty, and close a small flat-rate box in under 10 seconds, so can a USPS thief on the inside. That's all.

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always pay the extra pennies to ship flat rate bubble envelope with the item in a small flat rate box inside the bubble envelope.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

Rule 1 - you covered.

Another Rule 1 - NO LOOSE ITEMS inside the box. Takes NOTHING to wrap everything in newspaper at the minimum.

Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always taped my Priority boxes since I had a sticky flap pop open on my way to the PO.

• Options

@acloco said:
    Rule 1 - you covered.

Another Rule 1 - NO LOOSE ITEMS inside the box. Takes NOTHING to wrap everything in newspaper at the minimum.

I've received plenty of packages with various packing rule violations, but the untaped small flat rate seems to be the most pervasive, and was the most recent.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amen!

• Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

The mail ladies always get mad when I ask to tape their schitty boxes.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Food for thought !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the bigger risk is accidental opening. Tape is a must for that reason.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

The glue on the opening is one of the weakest I have ever seen. Thief or just accidentally popping open waiting to happen, I always take a strip of registered mailing tape and use that horizontally across, to secure the flap. 1 strip, about 4-5 inches, and maybe an extra 30=60 seconds (less per item if I am doing more at 1 time)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Serious coin packaging is an art involving many layers.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always do. With glass reinforced packing tape.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always tape the box. If packing at home (and I usually do), I tape everything, even the bubble envelopes. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

Can't a thief cut tape and then re-tape it? Maybe it improves the situation a bit, but it really seems like it is mostly preventing the box opening from damage during transit.

• Options
    Winchester1873Winchester1873 Posts: 201 ✭✭✭✭

Small flat rate box, double-taped on all edges and seams, labeled with USPS preprinted address, stamp and tracking for a medium box; stuffed inside of a medium box which is also fully and double-taped with packing tape and cushioned inside by recycled used USPS bubble envelopes. The inside box with the coin is cushioned with recycled bubble wrap and is itself labeled for delivery just in case the outside box mysteriously falls apart or is pealed away. Tracking number entered into my USPS app and checked frequently until signed for. OCD?? Maybe.

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    Just a public service announcement. If I can open, empty, and close a small flat-rate box in under 10 seconds, so can a USPS thief on the inside. That's all.

Mine get tape over every square millimeter of the box.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2019 9:24AM

I tape them but that makes it very difficult to get the coins in the box. Maybe...I'm doing something wrong....?

• Options

@Davideo said:
    Can't a thief cut tape and then re-tape it? Maybe it improves the situation a bit, but it really seems like it is mostly preventing the box opening from damage during transit.

Yes, but not as quickly as if it weren't taped at all. And they can just take the box if they want. Accidental opening is another risk mitigated by taping, but the only box I've ever received missing its contents was closed and not taped. I have received reused Kraft envelopes containing almost as many loose coins as the shipper sent due to the envelope tearing, but that's a different issue (a lot of issues, actually).

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always tape my small flat rate boxes
    I mean I well tape them!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    I always pay the extra pennies to ship flat rate bubble envelope with the item in a small flat rate box inside the bubble envelope.

Same here but use a small NOT flat rate box. It's a little bigger still fits in the flat rate bubble wrap mailer and gives you a little more room if needed more important makes the whole package bigger. Bigger the better from ending up under someone's coat.

• Options

@ACop said:

because the boxes are at the PO

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also bubble wrap the cointents inside of the package.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

Regarding the inside of the box, I have all sorts of guidance for that, which generalize to three rules.

1. Have cushioning between coins and the box (bubble wrap, wadded paper, peanuts).
    2. When the box is closed, if it is silent when shaken, that is good.
    3. Do not tape flips or 2x2s, and do not tape bubble wrap. Those may make me reach for a knife or scissors to unpack your coins.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ACop said:

@ACop said:

There is nothing to stop you from taking some home.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlexinPA said:
    Always do. With glass reinforced packing tape.

Wow, tape with glass reinforcement? Handle with care, tape fragile.

I had to look it up...okay, fiber glass reinforcement tape, yep, I've see this....good stuff, very hard to break into.

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2019 3:44PM

I tape all around the Flat Rate box. If you ever got a submission back from NGC I do it like that. If they get into my box they're gonna have to work for it. Any slabs I use those cardboard sticky flips.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

@ACop said:

@ACop said:

There is nothing to stop you from taking some home.

Or he could come by my place and I'll give him some. We have a room packed full of them floor to ceiling. We burn them all winter to stay nice and warm.🥴

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well... at least it was delivered. :#

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

The hard core shippers use brown,registered mail, have to wet it tape.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lcoopie said:

It's good stuff! One wrap around the perimeter of a small flat rate with the 3" wide tape covers all the seams.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ACop said:

@ACop said:

Are they locked to the counter?

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options

@ChrisH821 said:

@lcoopie said:

It's good stuff! One wrap around the perimeter of a small flat rate with the 3" wide tape covers all the seams.

Line up the reinforcement threads correctly and the clerk gets really confused looking for where to stamp the seam.

• Options

@Hemispherical said:
    Well... at least it was delivered. :#

Russian mail slot installation.

• Options
    edited August 18, 2019 7:11PM

@3stars said:

@ACop said:

@ACop said:

Do you also bring future straws and napkins home from restaurants and store them yourself? Where does one draw the self storage line? I ship 5 items or less per year. Why would I want to have boxes in my house every day.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy a roll of tape. Stick it in a drawer. Then, on the rare occasion you have to ship something, bring it with you to the post office.

Problem solved.

• Options

@3stars said:

@ACop said:

@ACop said:

Wait did you mean the ladies? Maybe, never checked. Maybe that's why they are so miserable.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

I ship the small flat rate priority boxes inside the flat rate priority bubble mailers which is well worth the extra .10 cents in shipping cost.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 19, 2019 6:21AM

"It takes a thief". That was a series, too; like coins.

• Options

@Broadstruck said:
    I ship the small flat rate priority boxes inside the flat rate priority bubble mailers which is well worth the extra .10 cents in shipping cost.

You can actually fit two of them in one of those, BTW.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ACop said:

@3stars said:

@ACop said:

@ACop said:

Wait did you mean the ladies? Maybe, never checked. Maybe that's why they are so miserable.

maybe miserable because they have to tape your boxes instead of you doing it.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

i buy my tape by the case. have been for 20 years now. never lost a package yet

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen them with tape on the flap and not side, which is almost just as bad. With a little squeeze it will pop open and the contents can fall out the sides.

• Options

@3stars said:

@ACop said:

@3stars said:

@ACop said:

@ACop said:

maybe miserable because they have to tape your boxes instead of you doing it.

I didnt say I ask THEM to tape it. I ask them for strips of their tape. I do the hard manual labor myself.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

Small Flat Rates don't need anyone malicious to find themselves opened... the glue is usually good for about 20 seconds if the package has anything more than a feather based on my experience.

That said, for just a touch more money, you can use a flat rate padded envelope, in which the larger cousin of the small flat rate box fits quite nicely. More volume (for stuff or padding) and another layer of protection for just a little bit more. I haven't used a small flat rate box in years.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought it was common sense that a flimsy glue on a box flap doesn't get it done. But what the heck do I know.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file