Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Philippine Coins - Are They On the Move?

I noticed at the just past StacksBowers sale that as I was waiting for my lot to come up that Many even minor Philippine coins were going crazy - some even up to 30 and 40,000 dollars.
What gives?

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well there were many very high grade pieces (probably pop tops) in that collection.

But to answer your question, yes, I think they’ve been doing pretty well since a while now. I know I’m out since I don’t want to pay current prices.

• WorldCoinsDmitryWorldCoinsDmitry Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2019 1:18AM

When you get into MS65 and up territory even common pre-1946 Philippine coins go for moon money. Has been this way for some years and for good reason.

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Philippines coins took off when they added them to the Redbook!

• kruegerkrueger Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

I believe as I heard there will be more on Philippine coins from the Redbook.
    Stay Tuned.

• there is definite interest, when you see an old blue Whitman bookshelf album for Philippine coins go for sale and they sell for $25 - $50 depending on condition. They are beautiful coins and cheap compared to their stateside cousins. Proofs are a bargain, High grade business strikes are tough to find and not so cheap. Fun series to collect.

• sylsyl Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

Yes, I have an old Whitman Philippine album that ends in 1961. It's about 3/4 full. It's the 1903-06 that I found difficult to find, back 40 years ago when I was collecting them and many other foreign items.