Token

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

What did you want to know? It's a Magdalen Is. Token in beautiful condition. best I've seen but I don't collect Canadian. Probably valued at least $600.

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saw it for sale. I've never seen one before. Thought it was interesting.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • jdmernjdmern Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

Beautiful piece. Looks like an MS63 red brown. Should be several thousand in value. Very tough to find in nice condition.

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics

PCGS MS64+ RB

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the share love the deboning on the fish reverse

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 17, 2019 8:12PM

Found it on eBay - one could buy a small, brand new Nissan for what they're asking.

Or one could buy ten to twelve nice slabbed U.S.A. twenty dollar gold pieces for what they're asking.

• Best one I've seen as well. Always found the design on this token unique, but have only handled a few well to average circulated examples. This one is most definitely a rarity. The asking price seems quite high, but not on a ridiculous level.

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is 1 tough cookie, Especially in that condition! Years ago a serious location collector customer of mine said this was one of the toughest locations to find. Almost all I've seen are in the AG-VG range.

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

The story on them is that they were created by Isaac Coffin, the owner of the island. Similarly to how the owner of Lundy Island was prosecuted for issuing coinage - legend has it that Mr Coffin was similarly punished. The only examples I have ever seen are well circulated - obviously they didn't just circulate on Magdalen Island but Eastern Canada as well, of course there was a dearth of coinage.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

That is one of the nicer ones I have seen. It has more original red than normal.

If you like this design, here are a few others to compare to: https://www.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=0+793+794+791+792+1893+1577+2088&Ntk=SI_Titles-Desc&Nty=1&Ntt=magdalen+island+token&limitTo=all&ic=homepage-search-A-K-071316

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭✭

Is that Josh's token at Civitas?

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay

@1960NYGiants said:
    Is that Josh's token at Civitas?