Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS ANA Luncheon today - any comments, impressions from those who attended??

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wasn't able to attend - would love an update on what's happening!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see anything on the PCGS site about the Hugh Wood connection. Did they provide any other details?

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@savitale said:
    I don't see anything on the PCGS site about the Hugh Wood connection. Did they provide any other details?

It is is the works. They emphasized how easy it will be, about 4-5 keystrokes.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

The food wasn't bad, although the faux tiramisu wasn't worth the calories. The silverware was at the beginning of the line rather than the end, which is a buffet peeve of mine. Giveaway slab was an Illinois state quarter.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

lunch was extremely well organized. Got people in, through the food line, and seated quite efficiently. Induction and announcement speeches were brief and right to the point. Cut out the fluff, recognize people who deserve recognition, and tell us where the company is going ...loved it how they valued attendees' time with on-point planning and execution.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barndog said:
    ...loved it how they valued attendees' time with on-point planning and execution.

Time, once gone can never be retrieved. Agree, good planning and execution is a must.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Organization and presentation are critical for such gatherings. Good to hear it was done well. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was a very nice luncheon.

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

The important thing was the luncheon slab had a state quarter in it.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boo hiss ... I was HOPING for ATB Guam.

I like silverware at the start wrapped in the napkin, it slips into my pocket and I don't have to juggle at the end.

Except the "tira-something" for was excellent for banquet food. They did the trays of mains only in one layer deep and kept bringing out fresh. (Unlike several dealers who piled slabs 10 high and had random dates in the understock).

A couple of the luncheon slabs have already been listed for sale, at least one already sold. First Cert# is 37116244 Last is 37116534

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have seen 2 different mintmark so far - any slabs with the wrong quarter??

I think the folks who put on these slab promotions have a sense of humor in that regard.....

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of the 300, 200 are listed as 2003-P and 100 are 2003-D. (I got one of the P coins).

If you want to see the hobby getting younger, look at PCGS. Brett, David Talk and Heather all look like kids to me.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2019 11:14PM

@BStrauss3 said:
    I like silverware at the start wrapped in the napkin, it slips into my pocket and I don't have to juggle at the end.

This reminds me of when I go out dining, finish my salad and place my knife and fork in the salad bowl, and then the food server comes by, removes the silverware from the bowl, places it next to the bowl, and says “keep your knife and fork”. And I reply, “Oh, I can keep my knife and fork?”, and then I wipe them off with my napkin and place them in my pocket right in front of them!

(Naturally, I then take them out, place them back on the bowl, and ask for clean silverware.) 😂

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Noticed my P mint Illinois quarter handout slab/ obverse had the label at the bottom not the top
    unusual, error or purposeful?
    Any comments?

Krueger

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

I give PCGS kudos for continuing this luncheon tradition. Their generosity is exemplary. Very good food. Fun slabbed coins as remembrances. Swag at each seat. I love the show and the camaraderie.

The presentations...hall of fame tributes and newsy business stuff were just fine. It's hard to make such things exciting. Some speakers should work on their deliveries. One, in particular, began almost every sentence with "So, ..." and was littered with "you guys..." Kind of pedestrian.
    Lance.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually thought the new Prez' preso was the best - acknowledged he's coming out of the sports card world and has to learn about coins, but promised to keep doing what is good and focus on customer service.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Much said about future youth in our hobby but all in context (more than several times)
    concerning youth 30 yos as employees or interns of coin businesses the speakers represented.
    Nothing about evidence of youthful collectors entering our hobby today or their numbers.

Their vision looking around seemed to be only within their own bubble.

Looking around the Bourse floor every day I was there (5 days) was mostly grey mountain tops.

My vision of the future of the hobby is as the baby boomers. (1946-1964) decline in numbers so will the collector base
    track accordingly. The last boomer is 56, so we have some time left.

Been a collector for 63 years

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file