Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

T2 Liberty $20 NEWP - expanding the type set...

ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I couldn’t pass this up at $1510.
It’s pretty baggy, yet still looks nice to me.

Opinions?

It’s odd how much it looks like a proof shooting at an angle:

Comments

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it a lot. Way nicer looking than the NGC AU50 I have in my type set and a great price considering current gold price.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options

Thanks! @tommy44 It was really close to melt and I've wanted a type 2 so I pulled the trigger. :)

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks real nice. Not as "baggy" as you said, maybe the pics.
    Great price!!

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

i like the direction your going with your collection, here is a small sample of my 1870's, the 1876-au-55 actually looks better then the 58. the pl look on the reverse offsets the baggy look

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    i like the direction your going with your collection, here is a small sample of my 1870's, the 1876-au-55 actually looks better then the 58. the pl look on the reverse offsets the baggy look

Those are nice!

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

You ripped that coin 👍

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, I like it !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice gold coin... and basically at melt.... Nice find. Cheers, RickO

• Options

You guys may think I’m nuts, but I didn’t see this one initially, and my friend is letting me trade the 74-S back in plus $40 for this one:

Way, way WAY more original skin and a frosty luster. I’m much happier with the day-later upgrade :D
    Total cost $1550
    Did I make the right move?

• Options
    BloodManBloodMan Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland
    I like both the 1874-S and the 1875-S (and both were very reasonably priced), but if I had to choose, I would go with the ’74-S. I like the reflective fields which I suspect are exaggerating all of the small hits. I have a prooflike ’74-S $20 in AU58 with similar tiny abrasions. Nice purchase either way!

• Options

@BloodMan said:
    @asheland
    I like both the 1874-S and the 1875-S (and both were very reasonably priced), but if I had to choose, I would go with the ’74-S. I like the reflective fields which I suspect are exaggerating all of the small hits. I have a prooflike ’74-S $20 in AU58 with similar tiny abrasions. Nice purchase either way!

Thank you! I ended up trading for the 75-S. I like the frost and color, but admittedly the reflective fields on the 74-S were indeed nice.

I’d like to see your 74-S. Post it here. It sounds nice.

• Options
    JasonGamingJasonGaming Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭

Looks semi-PL. Nice pickup!

Always buying nice toned coins! Searching for a low grade 1873 Arrows DDO Dime and 1842-O Small Date Quarter.

• Options
    BloodManBloodMan Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I purchased this 1874-S $20 NGC AU58 PL about 10 years ago, there were only 2 designated PL in all grades. Today there are a total of 4 in PL at NGC (2 in 58 and 2 in 60).

• Options
    SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think either coin is a great pick-up at the price. For me it’s truly a toss-up. I like just about everything about the 75-s better , but the spot on the reverse is a little distracting to me.

I like that your continuing to add to your gold type set, as I follow your progress, while working on mine( albeit at a slower pace)

• Options

@SimpleCollector Thank you! :)

@BloodMan Very nice indeed!

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

both nice. i am leaning toward the 74-S...but, i do like both and it seems you got a good deal. can you get the 74-s back and keep both? :-)

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw a collector, at the ANA, pass on a nice Type 2 $20 in PCGS AU 58 at a reasonable price.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the $20 Liberty type 2.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

@steveben said:
    both nice. i am leaning toward the 74-S...but, i do like both and it seems you got a good deal. can you get the 74-s back and keep both? :-)

Unfortunately, no. :D However, now that I have this type 2, I am definitely on the lookout for a type 1. Probably XF45 to AU55 range. I will take my time, I want an original, crusty example...

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 19, 2019 7:50PM

Closest to spot without going over wins. But in this case , a little premium is worth it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file