Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Greenland

WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 16, 2019 8:31AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Greenland is Denmark's large mostly ice-covered island.
It's emblem is the polar bear.

Some coins from Greenland.

Greenland 50 Ore 1926
Aluminum-bronze, 21 mm, 3.6 gm

Greenland 1 Krone 1926
Aluminum-bronze, 27 mm, 7.4 gm

Greenland 5 Kroner 1944
Brass, 31 mm, 13.5 gm

Greenland 1 Krone 1957
Aluminum-bronze, 27 mm, 7.4 gm

Greenland 1 Krone 1960
Copper-nickel, 27 mm, 7.6 gm

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies
Coins on Television

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Greenland, the new US colony

• Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

Buy now before Fearless Leader changes designs.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice design and great pictures. I have been working on a world coin series trying to get something from every country. Love those.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

On 30 May of this year, I was on a commercial airliner going from Heathrow to O'Hare (an uncommon event in my life). Although we had headed out over Ireland, I was totally amazed that we over flew Greenland for almost fifteen to twenty minutes! It was afternoon, I had a window seat, and I had a great view. We were also way north in Canada too that time.

Maybe about 2005 I was on a commercial plane that got very close to Greenland, but I am pretty certain we missed it by something less than one hundred miles. It was nighttime too on that earlier flight.

So now I have been looking at Greenland coins (I do already have two of the Denmark silver coins with the Greenland map, dating from the early 1950s). Haven't pulled the trigger yet.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ahh! Something new and different to watch for in the scrum. Cryolite, now I have to read up. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Greenland tokens in my collection:

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    Greenland, the new US colony

It would be a territory, like the US Virgin Islands (f.k.a. Danish West Indies), which would mean new ATB and/or state quarters to further screw up your Danscos.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Following World War II, the United States developed a geopolitical interest in Greenland, and in 1946 the United States offered to buy Greenland from Denmark for $100,000,000, but Denmark refused to sell. the price tag now would be several billion

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the USA should buy French Polynesia:

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like the Thor's hammer on those silver? scrip tokens. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

More modern tokens, come in a variety of weights and IIRC were from the 1960s. No a 'coin' at all though, just a token.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2019 7:33AM

A footnote:

The Greenland 1944 5 kroner coin was struck at the Philadelphia Mint for US servicemen stationed there and was worth US $1.00 at the time.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television