Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Seriously considering attending NYINC 2020 and looking for pointers and feedback.

Hello World Forum, I'm looking at attending the NYINC coin show for the first time. I hope it isn't too far away to start talking about, but I'm thinking it will take a fair amount of planning. To the folks who have gone before or attend regularly, I'm curious about what you think the pluses and minuses are.

A few things to consider for me,

I've never set foot in NY, at 47 this would mark my first time to NYC although I have been to Chicago regularly, Baltimore, Orlando, Boston, SF, LA, Denver, etc. Just always avoided the Big Apple for no other reason as it seem like there would be a learning curve to maneuvering and no real reason other than tourism for me to have gone before and sort of waiting for my family to age up to ever take them.

I have attended 6 winter FUN shows either alone or with a coin buddy in Jan over the years and have since taken several off as my kids and business were just too young to leave for long and kinda got out of the habit of attending. Now they are in their teens and I'm itching and committed to attend the winter FUN show again, but now considering skipping that and hitting NYINC instead. Don't say the weather will be better, on more than one occasion, it dipped below freezing in Orlando while I was there, so a winter get away in Jan isn't a certainty.

In the years I was attending winter FUN, I was heavy into collecting US Federal coinage, mostly a MS early date set of Lincoln Cents from 1909-1933 in 65 BN. About 6-7 years into that before I completed to satisfaction and transferred my interest into flying eagles, large cents and Fugios. I wanted to lay eyes on each piece for obvious reasons. In those years I met several dealers and fellow collectors and made great connections that have been a delight to work to this day. I feel it would be wise to foster some face to face connections with folks that deal in the items I'm interested in now and worth the investment in time and money attending as well as just for the joy of the hobby.

I even tried doing PF buffalo nickels and petered out on them/US when I started noticing and tackling foreign issues. It is safe to say I'm out of US coins for the time being and fully immersed in cast and struck German medals, Mexican, Talers and shooting medals to name a few. I keep seeing new foreign all the time, so who knows whats next but that's the exciting part. I'm thinking The NYINC may be a better fit for my travel money (flights and hotel actually seem similar to FL) instead of spending it attending winter FUN for the limited foreign that may be there.

I won't be bringing any material to sell, I may be watching auctions and possibly bidding. Thinking two days min for the show possibly 4 days on the trip bookended with possible winter delays.

I'm open to all feedback from is it worth it, to what hotels are the smartest or anything negative you could save a NY newB from experiencing. From here it looks like it could be acres of quality foreign material? I've put my toe in and the water seems fine and ready to jump in and learn all I can.

Anyone want to chime in?

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

Having attended the WFOM in Philadelphia last year and enjoying that alot. I'm ready for this one. Especially in January. Having been born and raised in NYC, I'm not a big fan of midtown Manhattan but a day trip is doable. Especially an international lineup of numismatic stuff. I live in New Hope Pa now so it's something to plan for. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's a great idea, especially with a change in your collecting preferences. I'm starting to look at flights and hotel deals already, as well.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only thing I could possibly say is if you can get the same quality and proximity hotel room for double the price you can in Orlando you are a travel Guru!

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

Look for a hotel in the Garment District (between 23rd and 34th). You should be able to find something reasonably priced, for NY anyway. You can walk to the show from there.

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

NYINC is a great show for anyone wanting to see a huge variety of coins from the Dawn of Coinage to the Here and Now. (It also usually has some US coins too.) Maybe the stuff that catches your eye will be beyond your budget, or maybe you'll find a new series to collect. Either way, you get to see a lot of cool coins within a city with a lot else to offer beyond coins.

It's also a great way to meet up with friends you made on here.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask it here or email me. Additionally, you can search for the NYINC 2018 thread in this forum. IIRC, there was a lot of discussion in that thread about what to do in NYC beyond coins.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the comments so far. Honestly, I havn't invested a lot of time comparing the prices of traveling to FL vs NY but I did look up air fare and it was around 500, which is about what we pay to go anywhere. I don't live near an international Airport so we have to take a regional connection which is sometimes ⅔ of the airfare.

I was grilling my parents last night as they love NYC and they go as often as they they can. My Dad says you can pretty much fly in there and hop in a cab and they'll drop you off wherever you want just like anywhere. I've seen the 50-60 dollar price for cab from Ohare to Downtown, or the 5 dollar train ride in Chicago. Google search says JFK to Central Park averages 75. He also said you can eat anything from a 5 dollar slice of pizza to a 125.00+ dinner if you want and anything in between. Said they found some quality food at reasonable prices and just go back to those places. This is all sounding good to me. For some reasonIve always just considered NYC a no go zone.......Silly because we've been to over 20 cites in the last 4 years seeing Dead&Co as much as possible and the travel costs are all about the same.

The NYINC site has a quoted room rate of 200 + which sounds decent and maybe work from that starting point. Florida could be the same or maybe less but would need a car and the rentals and parking would add up so thats nice not having to go through that. Forgive my ignorance, but my numerical intuition tells me it would be about the same cost plus maybe 20%? Balance that with the interesting newness factor of doing something for the first time.

As long as the travel cost isn't a huge club to the head surprise wise, were mostly debating between me taking a solo quick shot business like trip or somehow fold in my wife and making it a vacation. Were leaning on the business trip angle as the logistics of both commanding officers leaving the ship might not be prime being January.

Still, I'm thinking it's possible and if you guys say it's worth it coin wise, that's what I'm wanting to hear. I would love to meet forum members and nerd out on coins in the dead of winter. Maybe meet some European dealers in person? The last few years, I've just been skipping the whole travel to shows ordeal and working and simply buying a nice fat coin for the collection with the travel expense money. That looks good on paper, but it hurts in other ways and the travel money is easily absorbed in the knowledge I gain getting a look see with my own eyes.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2019 7:01PM

I’ve lived in NYC several times in my life and still consider it my adult home. I begrudgingly let my apt go in The Village semi recently ( wasn’t using it enough) and it’s weird staying in hotels now when I come in on business. I’ve been to one NYCINC and learned a ton.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

You may want to consider staying in a hotel outside the city and taking a commuter train to Grand Central. The venue is connected to the station - don't have to go outside. I take the train in from Milford for about $30 round trip (non peak).

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,871 ✭✭✭✭✭

My fiancé’s dad has an apartment in Gramercy Park. Can’t wait to go this year

• Options

@Boosibri said:
    My fiancé’s dad has an apartment in Gramercy Park. Can’t wait to go this year

Sounds like a party at Brian's future father-in-law's place.

• Options
    RexfordRexford Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WildIdea said:
    I was grilling my parents last night as they love NYC and they go as often as they they can. My Dad says you can pretty much fly in there and hop in a cab and they'll drop you off wherever you want just like anywhere. I've seen the 50-60 dollar price for cab from Ohare to Downtown, or the 5 dollar train ride in Chicago.

Once you're in any of the boroughs (except for Staten Island), it's $2.75 to take the subway wherever you want. Much cheaper than a cab or Uber and probably takes less time since you'll avoid any traffic. It might be a good idea to get a hotel a little farther away from the NYINC so it's cheaper, and then just take the subway to the show or anywhere else you want to go.

• Options

@1960NYGiants said:
    You may want to consider staying in a hotel outside the city and taking a commuter train to Grand Central. The venue is connected to the station - don't have to go outside. I take the train in from Milford for about $30 round trip (non peak).

@Rexford said:
    Once you're in any of the boroughs (except for Staten Island), it's $2.75 to take the subway wherever you want. Much cheaper than a cab or Uber and probably takes less time since you'll avoid any traffic. It might be a good idea to get a hotel a little farther away from the NYINC so it's cheaper, and then just take the subway to the show or anywhere else you want to go.

These are decent ideas; if you go with this option, I'd recommend Jersey City, NJ, for the west side because it'll be near the PATH into the City (several ways of doing that), then taking the subway to Grand Central Terminal. If you're choosing one of the outer NYC boroughs, I suggest Queens at a hotel near a subway line that takes you direct to GCT.

The big drawback about staying in a hotel outside Manhattan is that you gotta get back. Maybe late. And, this is not familiar turf for you.

I will be staying at the Grand Hyatt from Tuesday until Monday morning (probably, if my wife joins me in the City for the long weekend).

• Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

If you are getting into World or Ancient coins, the NYINC Show would be a great place to start.

The many different auctions offer a chance to view a wide variety of coins (including ones that might be out of reach today or that you want to study before eventually buying in the future.) The bourse floor will have dealers from around the country as well as the world. There is plenty to see and do while you are here!

If this is your first trip to New York City, you might find it easier to stay close to the Grand Central area where the show is held. Public transportation here is very effective and can get you around to all kinds of places, but I have heard from other first-time visitors that they like the flexibility of being close to the show during their initial trip. If you do choose to stay further out, the great news is that many different train lines service Grand Central (which is connected to the host hotel, the Grand Hyatt.)

I live in New York City, so feel free to send me a message if you need more advice. I will be there at the Heritage booth for any that wish to say hello!

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2019 6:30AM

I’m a New Yorker and can add some notes later on other things to add to the NYC experience. But for hotels, the rate associated with the hotel looks pretty inexpensive:

Hotel Reservations
    The New York international Numismatic Convention is held at one of New York's finest and most luxurious hotel properties. The York International Numismatic Convention is held at one of New York's finest and most luxurious hotel properties, the Grand Hyatt New York.

To reserve accomodations at the Hyatt call the hotel directly at (212) 883-1234, or the Hyatt central reservations office at (888) 421-1442. Advise the agent you are attending the New York international Numismatic Convention and that you want of book at the group rate for our event.

Problems encountered in booking? Call Bourse Chairman Kevin Foley at (414) 807-0116 for assistance.

If booked no later than October 31, 2019:
    Single or Double $209

Junior Suite $309

The transportation from the airport (JFK) is about $70 with tip, and from LaGuardia is about $40ish. There are public transportation options, but they are not simple and require time.

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

You might like this, thinking back to your cast medal thread:

https://ozy.com/good-sht/this-museum-gives-you-the-long-curious-history-of-tattoos/83002

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2019 9:05AM

Just keep in mind you will be going to a targeted event and consider what you carry to and from and how you carry it. As a Native NYer who lived most of my life in Westchester county we traveled by train subway often, but if I was going to carry to or from I would drive myself to a preplanned parking lot and know the route ahead. I would not exchange safety for 100-200 bucks.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

In addition to the remarks about not taking public transportation to/from the event site: you will have luggage and you may also be tired; a rideshare/taxi trip isn’t really that expensive.

• Options

Btw, for tasty food that is also quick and not excessively pricey: 2 blocks east of GH is Luke’s Lobster and 2 blocks south is a bagel deli.

• Options

All such great info everyone, thanks! I'm leaning towards the host hotel just for the ease and a solid home base and explore from there. I pretty much travel with a small backpack that gets lighter as I toss out inexpensive soiled clothing along the way.

Going to and from a show has its risks to consider anywhere we go. I remember one year when FUN was in Tampa I went with a buddy who owns a B&M and another local collector. We were all loaded to the gills with gold that year. I think the hotel was a mile from the venue and I walked it every day. Everything I had of value fit right in my front pockets and I just walked around looking like I belonged there. I think passing as normal in your facial expressions and body language.

My first year in Chicago, my buddy said I need to stop talking to people on the street. I said I'm not, they're just coming up to me and I'm just telling to get the away from me. He said, yeah, they can tell your not from here. Hows's that? He said prob cause your looking up at all the buildings with your jaw open! Being from the upper mid-west I suppose I'll never get used to the tall ones, they're so cool. Getting excited already, looks like this will be the year!

@philographer The tattoo pic is awesome. That equipment is a total treasure today and heavily sought after in the field. Its even a little too rich for my blood to chase although I look for it whenever I go picking. I hear it enters the collector market the most when someone trades what they have to a tattooist for some work. My first boss had some Zeiss equipment in the shop on display. In 2013 we hosted the National Tattoo Convention in Rapid City and he donated the machine to the hardship fund auction and it brought 2500.

• Options

@WildIdea,

If you're a gawker, then you're a target. You best not be encumbered while walking the streets of NYC. Give the locals less reason to see you as a target. Or better yet -- stop gawking. But in general, it's a pretty safe city and you do not need to be unnaturally worried for your safety. (Just use basic common sense and you should be fine.)

Hope you decide to come. It's a great show.

EVP

• Options

We're looking at an Airbnb in Jersey City near the PATH. Looks like a quick shot to NYC.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2019 2:43PM

I suggest definitely going to this show if you are being drawn to darkside collecting.

One of the best shows for foreign coinage with lots of world coins on the bourse and in auctions that week.

2 days at the show should be plenty.

I suggest the Grand Hyatt.

May I also suggest you go all out and take your wife and make it memorable experience.

Book a broadway show, go to the 9/11 museum, metropolitan art museum and Ellis island museum.

Worth it for your first time in NYC .

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

I just booked my room at the Grand Hyatt for 4 nights (Tue - Sat). I used Hotels.com, and the rate was much cheaper than the NYINC rate. Plus, I used rewards and it was very cheap for me.

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am hoping to make it. Will see.

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2019 6:58AM

As for transportation from the airport, I normally take a Korean limo service. See below for rate.
    P.S you can even rent by hours if you decide to travel around the boroughs. eg. 8 hours for around $300. It would be cheaper than staying in the hotel at the center of city, renting a car, finding parking or even get a tour guide.
    http://www.palpallimo.com/rate.php

Transportation from NYC Airports to Manhattan
    Vehicle
    To LaGuardia Airport
    To JFK Airport
    To Newark Airport

Sedan
    $30
    $45
    $45
    Luxury
    $35
    $55
    $50
    Minivan
    $54
    $64
    $64
    Van (10 Pass)
    $97
    $127
    $127
    Van (13 Pass)
    $97
    $148
    $148
    SUV
    $110
    $135
    $135
    Limousine (8 Pass)
    $121
    $148
    $148
    Limousine (10 Pass)
    $137
    $165
    $165

• Options

Glad to see so many responses!

This has my wife and I earnestly planning our fall travel.

While we were considering the NYC trip we settled on one awesome getaway together for her birthday in Nov and each take a solo trip. Me to NY and her to FL with my daughter and her sister and daughter, so a girls getaway...

The standing joke with us is she would like to attend a two day coin show about as much as I’d enjoy a two day yoga retreat 😆, so it looks like I’ll be hitting NYINC solo. As much as I love to hang out with her, If I’m going to the coin show I should really be concentrating on what I’m doing there and not rushed or distracted by what she is feeling or maybe getting bored.

Sounds like it’s not early to be planning and booking. I looked up the dealer list online and it looks pretty interesting, so getting more excited the more I dig in. A lot of great information posted here so far, Thanks 🙏

• Options

@Zohar said:
    I am hoping to make it. Will see.

Do it! You'll also get to meet Mrs TwoKopeiki and our tiny numismatist ;)

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some people love New York, some people hate it. I grew up not far from there so I'm kind of used to it. There is an unimaginable amount of stuff to see and do. You could spend weeks, easily. It sounds to me like you will enjoy it. My recommendation is to stay in the city. Yes it will cost you a few bucks more but I suspect you'll enjoy the trip much more if you don't have to haul yourself back to the Motel 6 in Newark every night. Remember, Manhattan is the city that never sleeps ...

I have gone to the show for the past two years. From my perspective, there's almost two shows: the auctions and the bourse floor. The auctions are crazy, I think there were 18 auction sessions over the course of 5 or 6 days last year. You could spend the entire week just doing auction viewings and attending sales.

The bourse, by contrast, is much more sedate. Compared to FUN it is tiny. Maybe 90 dealers or so in one medium sized room. The quality of material is generally high, at least for the ancient Greek stuff I was looking at. You can do the bourse in one day.

The first time I went to NYINC I went to the bourse and skipped the auctions. The second time I went I skipped the bourse and went to the auctions. From your post it seems like you want to meet people so I assume the bourse is important for you. I did hear it said multiple times that "all the good stuff is in the auctions". Obviously this is not a completely true statement, but worth considering as you make your plans.

• Options
    edited September 6, 2019 6:05AM

@savitale , Thanks for the thoughtful post. I think you nailed it on what I’m going for. I’m just as jazzed to see the city as I am coins. I’m feeling staying close to the show will be wise choice for me.

I’ll also take note of the auction catalog lots. I’m not heavy interest in playing the auction game/strategy but if the right lot were to be there, it might be fun to go for it live.

With my goals coin wise no more than looking for a few high interest pieces and get to chose something out of a huge variety in person. Would love to go crazy if what I’m looking for is there, but I don’t need that to have a good time. So far, I’m hearing here my expectations are in line with reality.

• Options

Some tips; I have only been once, but it was a great experience!
    1. Download the bourse map before you go. If you are looking for specific types of coins, or if you have ordered from internet dealers, see if they are there. I had a target map of bout 5-6 dealers I wanted to see or meet in person, and saved the browsing for later in the day.
    2. If you are a member of any numismatic club, see if they are doing any seminars or meet and greets. I went to both an E.A.C. presentation and an Asian club meeting, and met some big names and authors who were very approachable.
    3. Like any trade show, the big $$ tables are in the convention hall or the private auction rooms. I did go in to see the auction previews, but it felt like walking into a car dealership. I had a much better experience, (and probably greater rate of return), buying some numismatic books on my wish list.
    4. Browsing later in the day; the dealers have met their big clients and are more relaxed and willing to answer questions, and give you time. If a dealer treats you nice, ask for their business card, write some reminders on the back, and look to buy something in the future.
    Just my thoughts...free advice is free for a reason.

Chinese cash enthusiast